Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 07-02-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61914)
As a fresh grad, an employer would obviously take local U over private U. Take it that one does have anything under their belt such as a CFA or other certifications, fresh grad to fresh grad, private U candidates will have a harder time finding the type of employment they want. I say this because a lot of business students always want to aim for a banking position which is a joke to begin with seeing as how these people have to idea what the business organisation entails and what is the job scope.

That being said, SIM love to pride themselves on being street smart. Lets face it, if you have good academic qualifications, you wouldn't need to latch onto these intangible qualities to try and feel relevant to society. You will never hear SMU NTU NUS business students claiming they are street smart even though they are. These people know that to get a foot through the door in the finance industry, they have to more than being loud mouths.

SIM people, be humble and ask yourself. Its simple
Didn't make it to local U? Fine, you aren't smart enough. Go private U.
Go private U, employment prospects not as even.
So face it, your not smart enough. Be it genetic or lazy, you are where you are today, accept it and move on. Stop harpering on the fact that you see yourself as equal or more to local U students.
Seriously, just admit it. "I didn't study hard enough". "I just can't". "I'm not smart enough"

I find it pretty disgusting that people are unwilling to accept their flaws and try to bring themselves up with arrogance or bring others down with jealousy.

another local grad who has to resort to online forums to relieve stress after seeing himself losing to a sim guy

Unregistered 07-02-2015 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62411)
another local grad who has to resort to online forums to relieve stress after seeing himself losing to a sim guy

Yalor. LSE Clementi Campus is the best number 1.

Unregistered 08-02-2015 10:10 PM

No12345 doesn't matter after u clinch your first job.
Hard truths but quite a large share of local u with average results end up in sales job as well. Those jobs highly sought after, I would say a growing portion got in with the right connections.
In life, study hard is good but not everything.
So unless you have stellar academic results.
Else that paper merely puts the student with a slightly better chance of dream job.
With that, I still think that connections play a huge role than paper
It's about both eq/iq and luck

I'm a uol grad in a bank FO, peace out

Unregistered 08-02-2015 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62438)
No12345 doesn't matter after u clinch your first job.
Hard truths but quite a large share of local u with average results end up in sales job as well. Those jobs highly sought after, I would say a growing portion got in with the right connections.
In life, study hard is good but not everything.
So unless you have stellar academic results.
Else that paper merely puts the student with a slightly better chance of dream job.
With that, I still think that connections play a huge role than paper
It's about both eq/iq and luck

I'm a uol grad in a bank FO, peace out

I like how nowadays, middle to high income people call it 'connections' or 'networking'. Somehow trying to justify the way that they got the job was super legitimate. Back-door corruption is what it is. Its the reason why Singaporean companies are not as competitive as foreign ones. Government's fault? Nah, they practice it all the time in private companies as well.

Unregistered 09-02-2015 12:42 AM

Don't be mistaken, I am not born with a silver spoon.
Just trying to bring out a point that having the right network is essential in the corporate world deg holders are everywhere in sg, therefore it's important to distinguish yourself from others

Unregistered 09-02-2015 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62446)
Don't be mistaken, I am not born with a silver spoon.
Just trying to bring out a point that having the right network is essential in the corporate world deg holders are everywhere in sg, therefore it's important to distinguish yourself from others

HAHAHA. That's what they all say. "Im not born with a silver spoon, my parents not very rich." It doesn't matter, the fact is, many of you use your 'network' to get jobs instead of actually earning them fair and square, same goes to many local uni grads themselves.

Unregistered 09-02-2015 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 61819)
There are SIM grads who really went out there and made it. Heck, I have friends armed with only ACCA and N levels but earning way more than his peers in the same age group (28y.o).
Although, they are not in the banking sector but still doing finance in major O&G / maritime sectors. Not hard to guess which company,just along Beach rd or pasir panjang rd there's only that few big coys.

But we / the SIM grads or soon-to-be grads have to acknowledge these points:

1) Prejudice against pte / DL grads are usually frowned upon and they do not have equal standing with local grads, even if companies constant preaching about equal opportunities,etc.

2) Pte grads are often exploited and/or hired at a lower cost than their local u counterparts. This is debatable, heavily dependent on hiring manager's POV and HR's policies. It is a known fact that many companies have different pay structure for pte grads, not just limited to public sectors.

3) Pte grads capability are usually perceived to be lower of their local U counterparts. i.e Pit a NUS FCH vs an UOL FCH, NTU pass vs an SIM pass, etc. This is very much debatable, but whether you believe it or not there's some truth in it.

4) Lacking in presentation skills. Could be from presentation in meetings to individual level of conversing with others in proper sentences, without stuttering entirely or adding in singlish to 70% of your sentence.

These are some of the points I could think of now. I'm sure there will be heroes coming and rebut me saying, "BS, im earning xxx" or " my brother's gf's sister's bf's cousin is an UOL grad drawing 8s in goldman".
Whatever floats your boat but my point is - pte grads already have disadvgt against local ones. Not the end of the world, and you shouldn't degrade yourself cuz of that. Sometimes, just take a deep breath, chill out and look at the broader picture realistically. You'll b able to see more, and not just being myopic, focusing on the wrong things.

- From somebody who graduated from SIM 3 yrs ago, not at the top echelon of earning power yet. But not too shabby for somebody who only has 3 years of full time working exp.

Gotta agree with point 4 on the lack of presentation skills. Especially true for SIM UOL where there's literally no presentation at all! Pretty sure this is a major minus point for these people. No way you can compete with local uni grads on that. Either way, good presentation and communication skills are very important, both outside and inside the corporate world.

Unregistered 09-02-2015 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62449)
HAHAHA. That's what they all say. "Im not born with a silver spoon, my parents not very rich." It doesn't matter, the fact is, many of you use your 'network' to get jobs instead of actually earning them fair and square, same goes to many local uni grads themselves.

there's nothing wrong leveraging on your network to find a role and in fact it's probably the best way for a company to find suitable candidates, quickly. i must imagine you have a hard time with your network, or simply jealous that other people (and SIM grads) do it better than you.

imagine you manage a team that is short-staffed and your trusted subordinate recommends and vouches for a candidate that he/she personally knows and had worked with, into your team. of course you are free to draw straws from the newspaper/internet applicant pool.

that said, i've seen less-deserving candidates land roles in which they simply perform with such mediocrity and 2nd rate attitude, and frankly does someeeeewhat validate some of your cynical view of "networking". but know that referred-candidates will always be "pressured" not to be a disappointment.

also nothing wrong being born with a silver spoon - end of the day, it's you who should make the most of what you have, rich or poor, network or no network, and not blame the government or go SIM-bashing on those who do better than you.

Unregistered 09-02-2015 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62488)
there's nothing wrong leveraging on your network to find a role and in fact it's probably the best way for a company to find suitable candidates, quickly. i must imagine you have a hard time with your network, or simply jealous that other people (and SIM grads) do it better than you.

imagine you manage a team that is short-staffed and your trusted subordinate recommends and vouches for a candidate that he/she personally knows and had worked with, into your team. of course you are free to draw straws from the newspaper/internet applicant pool.

that said, i've seen less-deserving candidates land roles in which they simply perform with such mediocrity and 2nd rate attitude, and frankly does someeeeewhat validate some of your cynical view of "networking". but know that referred-candidates will always be "pressured" not to be a disappointment.

also nothing wrong being born with a silver spoon - end of the day, it's you who should make the most of what you have, rich or poor, network or no network, and not blame the government or go SIM-bashing on those who do better than you.

Fact is, it is an immoral affront to the value of meritocracy. And no, you cannot deny this fact. No matter how much 'advantages' it may have. A totalitarian dictatorship has a TON of benefits! But that does not mean its the right thing to do. I was not born with a silver spoon, so I might be biased in this sense. But I have never nor will I ever reduce myself to make use of connections. I've gotten to where I am with my own effort and will. Even my tuition pees were paid for on my own. I doubt many SIM grads are 'doing better than me', but that is purely subjective, a teacher can love what he does and I would respect that and say that he is successful too even if he earns much less. Im not here to bash SIM grads, in fact, I detest local grads that use these despicable methods too. Yes, you can 'suggest' to your team leader, and yes, people have 'suggested' such things to me, and I have also promptly denied them of promotions and bonuses just based on that lack of ethical standing.

Unregistered 12-02-2015 09:44 AM

This thread is going way off topic. Can we stop the bickering and get back on topic please? Insecure local and SIM grads, the reality is that SIM degree is discriminated upon and that is the truth.

I want to know if any UOL grads managed to get into management associate programs at banks or managed to secure an equity or fixed income analyst position. What are your honors and starting pay?