Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 25-08-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55401)
Hey man, thanks for the response! Where do you get the idea that it wont work? Could it be your personal experience or word of mouth? Help me out alil bit, or could I switch to that career path on my second or third job?

I have friends who grad locally, majoring in BA, HR and mgmt, mostly 2.1 and above, all applied for mckinsey or what not. none got in. These firms hire ivy league uni students.

Unregistered 25-08-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55392)
Hi,

Seeking advice from experienced professionals!

I will be graduating in May 2015 with a BSc B&F degree after my final exams (hooray!) and am really keen on pursuing a career as a Management Consultant. Top choices, of course, go to MBB Consulting firms followed by local and foreign consulting firms.

Would like to seek advice on:

1. What firms are good in the industry
2. If the number of graduates of SIM-UOL getting in is high
3. How and What I can do to score an interview with them (I'm pretty confident with my interview skills!)

If you have been there, done that or heard of similar cases, please feel free to share! Criticism is accepted if that can make me improve (Y)

Aim for a scholarship for a masters program in management. It might put you in good stead compared to a BSc.
If not the only consultant you can settle for would be financial consultant.

Unregistered 25-08-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55401)
Hey man, thanks for the response! Where do you get the idea that it wont work? Could it be your personal experience or word of mouth? Help me out alil bit, or could I switch to that career path on my second or third job?

I will have to agree with him/her. This might sound harsh, but as a fresh graduate from SIM-UOL you have next to no chance with McKinsey, Bain or BCG. Not even Frost & Sullivan or firms that don't specialize in consulting (but have consulting arms) such as Deloitte. To tell the truth, even brilliant local FCH folks will stand a better as much as a slim chance (shed that mental image these might just be 'nerds').

If one does not have a resume that shows a consistent record of brilliance, next to no chance.

How do I know? Well, I studied in the US and came to know a few in such firms, and these folks are the best of the best. Think of Harvard, Yale and MIT. And local FCH scholars with case championships under their belt and etc.

You are better off building a resume than to attempt to enter as a fresh graduate. You have serious competition.

Unregistered 26-08-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55422)
I will have to agree with him/her. This might sound harsh, but as a fresh graduate from SIM-UOL you have next to no chance with McKinsey, Bain or BCG. Not even Frost & Sullivan or firms that don't specialize in consulting (but have consulting arms) such as Deloitte. To tell the truth, even brilliant local FCH folks will stand a better as much as a slim chance (shed that mental image these might just be 'nerds').

If one does not have a resume that shows a consistent record of brilliance, next to no chance.

How do I know? Well, I studied in the US and came to know a few in such firms, and these folks are the best of the best. Think of Harvard, Yale and MIT. And local FCH scholars with case championships under their belt and etc.

You are better off building a resume than to attempt to enter as a fresh graduate. You have serious competition.

Thanks guys! Yeah I actually did a bit of thinking lately and its too late to regret what i didn't do in the past. So gonna aim to get an MBA from a prestigious business school after a few years slogging. Anyway its all about the dream eh?

Unregistered 26-08-2014 02:18 PM

has ikedSAM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55445)
Thanks guys! Yeah I actually did a bit of thinking lately and its too late to regret what i didn't do in the past. So gonna aim to get an MBA from a prestigious business school after a few years slogging. Anyway its all about the dream eh?

Wahlau eh fresh grad from SIM-UOL thinking of getting into MBB, is like a dude without a driving license having fantasies of flying a space shuttle.

These firms, as well as the less-prestigious Big4 consulting and mid-tier firms, recruit from all around Asia Pacific. U wanna get in? Wait in line behind thousands of Indian graduates armed with MBAs from good and semi-good business schools.

And dont' count on a prestigious MBA to grant you entry either. Consulting hiring is very elitist and they may ding you the moment they look at your undergrad degree.

My advice? Work in a particular industry first, get reputation then lateral into consulting.

Unregistered 26-08-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55451)
Wahlau eh fresh grad from SIM-UOL thinking of getting into MBB, is like a dude without a driving license having fantasies of flying a space shuttle.

These firms, as well as the less-prestigious Big4 consulting and mid-tier firms, recruit from all around Asia Pacific. U wanna get in? Wait in line behind thousands of Indian graduates armed with MBAs from good and semi-good business schools.

And dont' count on a prestigious MBA to grant you entry either. Consulting hiring is very elitist and they may ding you the moment they look at your undergrad degree.

My advice? Work in a particular industry first, get reputation then lateral into consulting.

^Talk cock sing song. Lateral lan.

Unregistered 26-08-2014 04:58 PM

Hi mind to share how did u manage to get a bank compliance job?
Im a recent graduate of uol b&f. Hoping to land in a job in compliance, aml and analyst role.

thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55001)
graduated last yr from e&f

took up a job with a bank (compliance) at 2.8k. yes i was shortchanged and many friends persuaded me to hop to other companies like citco, bla bla..but i didn't because i was given ample opportunities to learn many things... 7 months into my job my pay got adjusted to 3.7K. As I am approaching my 1 yr employment, i received a call last wk from a recruiter asking if im interested to move for 20% increment within the same area with another bank.

Well.. my point is - i didnt really care about pay at the start. I was fixated in getting into jobs that interests me. Pay is ranked 2nd while experience is ranked top on my priority list. That being said, pay is still a impt factor while the potential exp you'll get exposed to is equally impt as well. Best is to strike a balance between the 2... I know some peeps will just say i'm being severely underpaid / stupid.. I don't really care. Ppl's words and opinions doesn't affect my pay and progression haha. Anyway, my POV is - be realistic.

Unregistered 29-08-2014 11:41 AM

Starting salaries for fresh grads in Singapore to rise slightly

s://.asia-first.com/newsletter/starting-salaries-for-fresh-grads-in-singapore-to-rise-slightly.html

Unregistered 29-08-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55624)
s://.asia-first.com/newsletter/starting-salaries-for-fresh-grads-in-singapore-to-rise-slightly.html

lol. u wait ah bro..u wait

Unregistered 30-08-2014 01:21 AM

knn UOL u wanna go MBB.

dunno u is stupid or dumb