SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay - Page 6 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 24-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My replies after yours:
- Semi submersible is an offshore vessel that is afloat on its' own. It's anchored to the seabed by anchor chains. They are used for deep sea drilling. The other type is the Jack up rigs which stands on "legs". You would have noticed these offshore rigs in Straits Times which appear frequently. Our Keppel and Sembawang Marine are 2 of the biggest producers of these rigs.

- A Norwegian drilling company. There are only a handful in Singapore so you should be able to make out.

- When offshore - US$13.5K. When back home US$11K. Tax free cos the pay is drawn overseas. No CPF though, to be precise.

- There is no annual leave in this job. When back on home leave, I stay home. No need to go to office cos I'm not an office staff and have no business to be there. During home leave, this is the time to do all the things that I must do, ICT, run errands, go for family holidays, company courses etc. When I'm offshore, I'm not allowed to return home until the 4 weeks is up unless it's very urgent, e.g. someone's passing. Also on the -ve side, you miss out half of the time seeing your kids grow up, send them to school or the PD when they fall sick. Plus side is, you get to do all these every day when on home leave.

- 12hrs per day and on shift, either 6 to 6 or 12 to 12, 7 days a week, 28 days straight out. It burns a lot of your energy at the end of your 4 weeks but it keeps one fit. Good thing about working offshore is, you don't spend a penny cos there ain't no shops on the rig. 4 meals a day are provided and the food quality is good. Usually buffet with Asian and Western.

- No 13th or varriable bonus like you guys get on shore as they paid high basic in absolute term. But due to the competition for skilled workers in this area - which not many young people are willing to enter - they pay retention bonus every quarter which vary from US$1K to 2K, to prevent you from being poached by competitors.
what happen if your ICTs which fall on the months that you are at OFFSHORE?
If can defer, no issue.

What if cannot defer? You say that you need to work for straight 28days while in OFFSHORE. Mean you go back to SG to serve ICT then go back to OFFSHORE again??

Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 25-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
what happen if your ICTs which fall on the months that you are at OFFSHORE?
If can defer, no issue.

What if cannot defer? You say that you need to work for straight 28days while in OFFSHORE. Mean you go back to SG to serve ICT then go back to OFFSHORE again??
Singapore has some of the biggest players in oil and offshore, so I guess the SAF will be understanding enough to approve the deferment requests.

Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 25-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is a monthly salary of 2550 ok for a freshie with no relevant exp ?

IMHO, S$2550 for fresh grads w/o experience is an excellent catch. Well done!

If you don't mind sharing, what industry are you in?

Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 25-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
IMHO, S$2550 for fresh grads w/o experience is an excellent catch. Well done!

If you don't mind sharing, what industry are you in?
Thanks.
It is in semiconductor.

Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 26-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Econs UOL grad with 2nd upper.. still cant find any jobs T_T
Poorman working as....?
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 27-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 38
poorman is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi friend, I'm working in an SME doing accounts management and admin stuff.

Not planning to stay long here though, colleagues are lovely but job prospects are nil..
Reply With Quote

  #57 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Econs UOL grad with 2nd upper.. still cant find any jobs T_T
Poorman working as....?
UOL grad with 2nd upper but yet to find employment??? That's kind of worrying.
How long have you been in unemployment status???

I'm currently taking part-time UOL Acct & Finance and from your unemployment status, i'm distressed. i hope i'm not wasting my time and money taking the course. oh well...

Anyway, i hope you find employment soon with good pay and prospects.

All the best & Good Luck!!!
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 38
poorman is on a distinguished road
Default

Here's a few tips to all those currently taking UOL courses especially in Finance related courses.

During your semester breaks. PLEASE GO FIND internships to take. Don't treat the 3-mth break as a holiday period. We are already losing out to local uni holders in terms of qualifications, the least you can do is find some work to put you on par.

If possible approach MNC / Banks as they are quite happy to take on internships from UOL students as their requirements are not so strict for interns.

I can guarantee you that unless you are a 1st class honours of UOL, without any prior work experience you will lose out to all the other local uni grads jostling for the same position that you are applying for.

For me my greatest regret was not starting from year 1, it was only in my 2nd year did i apply and worked for a bank as an intern and that definitely helped me to secure a few job offers.
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorman View Post
Here's a few tips to all those currently taking UOL courses especially in Finance related courses.

During your semester breaks. PLEASE GO FIND internships to take. Don't treat the 3-mth break as a holiday period. We are already losing out to local uni holders in terms of qualifications, the least you can do is find some work to put you on par.

If possible approach MNC / Banks as they are quite happy to take on internships from UOL students as their requirements are not so strict for interns.

I can guarantee you that unless you are a 1st class honours of UOL, without any prior work experience you will lose out to all the other local uni grads jostling for the same position that you are applying for.

For me my greatest regret was not starting from year 1, it was only in my 2nd year did i apply and worked for a bank as an intern and that definitely helped me to secure a few job offers.
Taking internship helps, but not much. Almost every undergrad from good uni is doing now, so not much value add. I think the more basic problem is people who study UOL are generally below average academically, but somehow many seem to expect that suddenly after uni they will be working at the world’s top banks. It’s more about too high expectation that lead to disappointment.

No offense to UOL grads, just stating the fact from a similar level RMIT grad here.
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 38
poorman is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Taking internship helps, but not much. Almost every undergrad from good uni is doing now, so not much value add. I think the more basic problem is people who study UOL are generally below average academically, but somehow many seem to expect that suddenly after uni they will be working at the world’s top banks. It’s more about too high expectation that lead to disappointment.

No offense to UOL grads, just stating the fact from a similar level RMIT grad here.
While I agree with you that UOL grads have unrealistic expectations about working in the world's top banks after they graduate, I don't believe they are below average academically unless you're willing to admit that based on your own benchmark, RMIT grads are also below average academically?

Majority of UOL students are either from poly or from JC whose 'A' levels did not fare well enough to gain entry. That being said, I think we all deserve a second-chance and the exams of UOL are by no means a walk in the park even though it's a DL degree. there's still substantial effort required in order to get good honours.

My point about the internships was to highlight what you've said which is almost every undergrad from good unis are doing internships, so UOL students should not be slacking as they are already academically far behind the local uni peers. Besides, it would be good exposure to mix around with the good uni students and pick up essential skills from your superiors during internships.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
sim, starting pay, uol

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting pay for fresh grad? k3vin Income and Jobs 19 30-03-2018 01:39 AM
Fresh Grad with Masters starting salary in banking Novice Income and Jobs 18 09-02-2016 08:57 PM
Fresh Engineering Grad want to switch to Banking rampa001 Income and Jobs 53 17-09-2011 10:42 AM
Fresh Grad working as software engineer earning 10k/month megasoma Income and Jobs 7 28-07-2011 10:23 AM
Starting pay for fresh uni grad with partial acca geeokleiv Income and Jobs 0 13-06-2011 11:57 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,931 Replies, 6,043,904 Views
An upgrade to my system
0 Replies, 24 Views
Different rank in local banks ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 120,879 Views
shipping from China to Singapore
1 Replies, 581 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,063 Replies, 284,966 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
289 Replies, 187,577 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,677 Replies, 1,376,663 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,058 Replies, 837,292 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
87 Replies, 124,007 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,804 Replies, 1,186,542 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
55 Replies, 57,064 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,752 Replies, 3,188,234 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
750 Replies, 384,218 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
134 Replies, 93,493 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,527 Replies, 1,007,260 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
139 Replies, 97,598 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,775 Replies, 839,753 Views
Software developers salary outlier ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 3,358 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
853 Replies, 584,807 Views
How much do you need to retire... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 2,816 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,965 Replies, 1,821,176 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,018 Replies, 1,162,652 Views
Singapore LNG Pay
5 Replies, 1,527 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 35,334 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,475 Replies, 2,056,226 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
352 Replies, 286,094 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 7,319 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,407 Replies, 597,413 Views
How Much Do You Need to Earn... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
41 Replies, 19,262 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,111 Replies, 3,892,810 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2