Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 24-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My replies after yours:
- Semi submersible is an offshore vessel that is afloat on its' own. It's anchored to the seabed by anchor chains. They are used for deep sea drilling. The other type is the Jack up rigs which stands on "legs". You would have noticed these offshore rigs in Straits Times which appear frequently. Our Keppel and Sembawang Marine are 2 of the biggest producers of these rigs.

- A Norwegian drilling company. There are only a handful in Singapore so you should be able to make out.

- When offshore - US$13.5K. When back home US$11K. Tax free cos the pay is drawn overseas. No CPF though, to be precise.

- There is no annual leave in this job. When back on home leave, I stay home. No need to go to office cos I'm not an office staff and have no business to be there. During home leave, this is the time to do all the things that I must do, ICT, run errands, go for family holidays, company courses etc. When I'm offshore, I'm not allowed to return home until the 4 weeks is up unless it's very urgent, e.g. someone's passing. Also on the -ve side, you miss out half of the time seeing your kids grow up, send them to school or the PD when they fall sick. Plus side is, you get to do all these every day when on home leave.

- 12hrs per day and on shift, either 6 to 6 or 12 to 12, 7 days a week, 28 days straight out. It burns a lot of your energy at the end of your 4 weeks but it keeps one fit. Good thing about working offshore is, you don't spend a penny cos there ain't no shops on the rig. 4 meals a day are provided and the food quality is good. Usually buffet with Asian and Western.

- No 13th or varriable bonus like you guys get on shore as they paid high basic in absolute term. But due to the competition for skilled workers in this area - which not many young people are willing to enter - they pay retention bonus every quarter which vary from US$1K to 2K, to prevent you from being poached by competitors.
what happen if your ICTs which fall on the months that you are at OFFSHORE?
If can defer, no issue.

What if cannot defer? You say that you need to work for straight 28days while in OFFSHORE. Mean you go back to SG to serve ICT then go back to OFFSHORE again??

Old 25-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
what happen if your ICTs which fall on the months that you are at OFFSHORE?
If can defer, no issue.

What if cannot defer? You say that you need to work for straight 28days while in OFFSHORE. Mean you go back to SG to serve ICT then go back to OFFSHORE again??
Singapore has some of the biggest players in oil and offshore, so I guess the SAF will be understanding enough to approve the deferment requests.

Old 25-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Is a monthly salary of 2550 ok for a freshie with no relevant exp ?

IMHO, S$2550 for fresh grads w/o experience is an excellent catch. Well done!

If you don't mind sharing, what industry are you in?

Old 25-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
IMHO, S$2550 for fresh grads w/o experience is an excellent catch. Well done!

If you don't mind sharing, what industry are you in?
Thanks.
It is in semiconductor.

Old 26-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Unregistered

Econs UOL grad with 2nd upper.. still cant find any jobs T_T
Poorman working as....?
Old 27-09-2011, 09:18 AM

poorman is on a distinguished road

Hi friend, I'm working in an SME doing accounts management and admin stuff.

Not planning to stay long here though, colleagues are lovely but job prospects are nil..

Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Econs UOL grad with 2nd upper.. still cant find any jobs T_T
Poorman working as....?
UOL grad with 2nd upper but yet to find employment??? That's kind of worrying.
How long have you been in unemployment status???

I'm currently taking part-time UOL Acct & Finance and from your unemployment status, i'm distressed. i hope i'm not wasting my time and money taking the course. oh well...

Anyway, i hope you find employment soon with good pay and prospects.

All the best & Good Luck!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Here's a few tips to all those currently taking UOL courses especially in Finance related courses.

During your semester breaks. PLEASE GO FIND internships to take. Don't treat the 3-mth break as a holiday period. We are already losing out to local uni holders in terms of qualifications, the least you can do is find some work to put you on par.

If possible approach MNC / Banks as they are quite happy to take on internships from UOL students as their requirements are not so strict for interns.

I can guarantee you that unless you are a 1st class honours of UOL, without any prior work experience you will lose out to all the other local uni grads jostling for the same position that you are applying for.

For me my greatest regret was not starting from year 1, it was only in my 2nd year did i apply and worked for a bank as an intern and that definitely helped me to secure a few job offers.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorman View Post
Here's a few tips to all those currently taking UOL courses especially in Finance related courses.

During your semester breaks. PLEASE GO FIND internships to take. Don't treat the 3-mth break as a holiday period. We are already losing out to local uni holders in terms of qualifications, the least you can do is find some work to put you on par.

If possible approach MNC / Banks as they are quite happy to take on internships from UOL students as their requirements are not so strict for interns.

I can guarantee you that unless you are a 1st class honours of UOL, without any prior work experience you will lose out to all the other local uni grads jostling for the same position that you are applying for.

For me my greatest regret was not starting from year 1, it was only in my 2nd year did i apply and worked for a bank as an intern and that definitely helped me to secure a few job offers.
Taking internship helps, but not much. Almost every undergrad from good uni is doing now, so not much value add. I think the more basic problem is people who study UOL are generally below average academically, but somehow many seem to expect that suddenly after uni they will be working at the world’s top banks. It’s more about too high expectation that lead to disappointment.

No offense to UOL grads, just stating the fact from a similar level RMIT grad here.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Taking internship helps, but not much. Almost every undergrad from good uni is doing now, so not much value add. I think the more basic problem is people who study UOL are generally below average academically, but somehow many seem to expect that suddenly after uni they will be working at the world’s top banks. It’s more about too high expectation that lead to disappointment.

No offense to UOL grads, just stating the fact from a similar level RMIT grad here.
While I agree with you that UOL grads have unrealistic expectations about working in the world's top banks after they graduate, I don't believe they are below average academically unless you're willing to admit that based on your own benchmark, RMIT grads are also below average academically?

Majority of UOL students are either from poly or from JC whose 'A' levels did not fare well enough to gain entry. That being said, I think we all deserve a second-chance and the exams of UOL are by no means a walk in the park even though it's a DL degree. there's still substantial effort required in order to get good honours.

My point about the internships was to highlight what you've said which is almost every undergrad from good unis are doing internships, so UOL students should not be slacking as they are already academically far behind the local uni peers. Besides, it would be good exposure to mix around with the good uni students and pick up essential skills from your superiors during internships.