Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 19-10-2013 12:52 AM

How about SIT?

Unregistered 19-10-2013 12:59 AM

is 5 out of 9 subjects bro.. Well it might not has the same intensity as local degree but if u think it s easy, come and try it.

Unregistered 19-10-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44012)
I was earning 2250 in my previous position as a diploma holder. Thus, 2500 makes me feel like my degree is only worth $250.

I'm not treated as a fresh grad, apparently fresh grads only get 2300

1. that's a 11.1% jump. Considered decent. Rule of thumb - ask up to max 20%. HR will negotiate down to 15% most likely.

2. your degree is worth on average $3,000 per year. but that worth, i can confidently say to some degree, will increase exponentially when experience.

3. last piece of advice, choose a job that can bring u benefits in future, not in the present. once you have proven your worth, you will be able to reap in your harvest when the time is ripe. many grads want to collect the harvest like right away, but they never think how long that will last them.

Unregistered 19-10-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44042)
is 5 out of 9 subjects bro.. Well it might not has the same intensity as local degree but if u think it s easy, come and try it.

Lol. Not helping. Even LESS subjects. If you can't get an fch I'm not sure what to say. Matter of fact is, the amount of subjects you take in 3 years is probably less than what a local uni engineering student takes in one year. On average, that type of workload could be completed in 1.5 years or so. Not to mention the bell curve in a local uni is crazy. Only by scoring 90% in some mods can you get then get an A. And you have to keep an average of A to get a FCH. Unlike sim just need 5/9 can call yourself an fch graduate.

Unregistered 19-10-2013 10:53 AM

Yep, i don't disagree with you that local deg is more valuable than Dl degree but if you think it s easy to study, u can come try. They clear 5 modules per sem while we clear 5 modules or 4 for some per year. But our year start from sept to may, so that s like 8 months, basically not much difference. I would say that fch in sim is doable, it isnt tough but it requires alot of effort and hardwork too. It s not as easy but it s sure not as tough as local degree fighting out with each other. I m referring to certain course the bell curve is competitive, if u are referring to other courses such as arts or social science, i doubt the bell curve is competitive as my friend didnt study also can get second upper, it speaks alot.

Unregistered 19-10-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44049)
Yep, i don't disagree with you that local deg is more valuable than Dl degree but if you think it s easy to study, u can come try. They clear 5 modules per sem while we clear 5 modules or 4 for some per year. But our year start from sept to may, so that s like 8 months, basically not much difference. I would say that fch in sim is doable, it isnt tough but it requires alot of effort and hardwork too. It s not as easy but it s sure not as tough as local degree fighting out with each other. I m referring to certain course the bell curve is competitive, if u are referring to other courses such as arts or social science, i doubt the bell curve is competitive as my friend didnt study also can get second upper, it speaks alot.

how is that not much different? local uni usually start around mid august and end late april or early may... and by den they have already taken 10 modules. there is even a 1 month break in between.

n i dont believe there is any course in local uni that is not tough if u wan a fch... in any course, the top is always filled with ppl who are passionate in their study, or simply smart and hardworking... And in addition to their own course modules, they have to take alot of other non-core modules where they have to inevitably face competitions from the other faculties. All these and they have to maintain an average of A- of the 30+ to 40 modules they have to take AND atleast an A- for their fyp.

Justanonymous 19-10-2013 06:13 PM

FCH from UOL A&F here.

Really discouraged after looking through this thread and the replies gathered from the various companies.

Unregistered 19-10-2013 06:26 PM

No point debating over such issues.when i graduate then i ll see what my options are..

Unregistered 19-10-2013 07:42 PM

FCH private degree is still a useful cert as long as expectation is realistic. Too many pte degree holders fantasize they are on par with the FCH local grads, want to join top banking jobs, mgt consultancy, global MNC etc end up disappointed only in the end.

If the goal is to get an executive job in a decent size company, a pte degree with good grades can still help.

Unregistered 19-10-2013 09:30 PM

Agree with the fellow bro..of course private fch cannot be compared with local fch..they took more modules and etc. I would say there s a handful like 2-5 ppl per batch of uol graduates is able to compete with them as the best would get handpicked by sim to be sponsored to study master in lse.well a handful of them is still brings hopes n dreams to those in uol.