SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay - Page 56 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #551 (permalink)  
Old 26-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, regardless of what level you teach pay is the same and depends on your MOE rank/grade 1A1, 1A2 etc. It is pure bullshit that primary school teachers are paid less.
Primary school teachers only have a diploma from NIE. Secondary school teachers have a degree from NIE. While JC teachers mostly have a basic local degree + NIE post-grad diploma.

Primary school teachers do start off less. Trust me.

Reply With Quote
  #552 (permalink)  
Old 26-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 36
Darkzi0n is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Primary school teachers only have a diploma from NIE. Secondary school teachers have a degree from NIE. While JC teachers mostly have a basic local degree + NIE post-grad diploma.

Primary school teachers do start off less. Trust me.
in that case, the primary sch teachers didnt start off less bcos they teach primary sch... its bcos of their qualification which made them start off less... if for some reason, someone with local deg + nie teaches in primary (perhaps due to preference or vacancy) den she will still be paid 3k+ regardless.

for the case of uol econs primary sch teacher... it could be that the scheme recognize him as a diploma holder or somewhere in btw dip and deg.

Reply With Quote
  #553 (permalink)  
Old 26-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Seriously.. don't believe the bullshit about SIM grads not making it into investment banks..

Both my bf and I were from SIM-RMIT one year plus ago.
He graduated with distinction while I barely passed.

I'm in a US investment bank now after job hopping and he joined a swiss private bank as his first job.

Most of my friends are in banking and honestly, I think being a local uni grad only makes a difference when you are cream of the crop. Else, you won't make the cut to the top where it's all rainbows and dollar signs and you will be left with positions that everyone else is left with.

Anyway, it matters less and less as you start to accumulate your experience in the industry.

And for the local grads, please ah. Don't xia suay yourself by yayapapaya to your SIM friends and give sarcastic remarks on SIM grads during your glorious local uni days then later on, come ask your SIM friends for job referrals when you cannot find your job. It's really....
I am not sure whether your perception of reality is the same as others out there, well it differs from mine definitely. Working in an investment bank or some glamorous bank is easy, it is not hard to break into, but job scope wise is different. Who knows maybe you and your bf is helping the bankers wash his coffee mug instead?

SIM grads working as finance or bankers? Don't make me laugh man. I have friends who studied at who I still keep in contact with, none could break into banking unlike yours. Some are doing insurance, property and car salesman. I even had one friend graduated and working at uniqlo at orchard doing retail sales.

Please dont come and spread propaganda and mis information and go around telling others "being in industry" is more important.

Reply With Quote
  #554 (permalink)  
Old 26-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am not sure whether your perception of reality is the same as others out there, well it differs from mine definitely. Working in an investment bank or some glamorous bank is easy, it is not hard to break into, but job scope wise is different. Who knows maybe you and your bf is helping the bankers wash his coffee mug instead?

SIM grads working as finance or bankers? Don't make me laugh man. I have friends who studied at who I still keep in contact with, none could break into banking unlike yours. Some are doing insurance, property and car salesman. I even had one friend graduated and working at uniqlo at orchard doing retail sales.

Please dont come and spread propaganda and mis information and go around telling others "being in industry" is more important.
I have a friend graduate from SIM now in HSBC who likes to go around showing off he work there as analyst, but he will purposely leave out the fact he is actually working at the customer service department...
Reply With Quote
  #555 (permalink)  
Old 26-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am not sure whether your perception of reality is the same as others out there, well it differs from mine definitely. Working in an investment bank or some glamorous bank is easy, it is not hard to break into, but job scope wise is different. Who knows maybe you and your bf is helping the bankers wash his coffee mug instead?

SIM grads working as finance or bankers? Don't make me laugh man. I have friends who studied at who I still keep in contact with, none could break into banking unlike yours. Some are doing insurance, property and car salesman. I even had one friend graduated and working at uniqlo at orchard doing retail sales.

Please dont come and spread propaganda and mis information and go around telling others "being in industry" is more important.
Wow. You need to step into the finance industry for a better perspective. I'm UOL 2nd upper class. In GIC doing MM investment as trainee. 3.1k during probation. Not fantastic, but proves my point. Your friends and yourself may be the majority of shortsighted people who can't see what people are doing in finance.
Reply With Quote
  #556 (permalink)  
Old 26-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow. You need to step into the finance industry for a better perspective. I'm UOL 2nd upper class. In GIC doing MM investment as trainee. 3.1k during probation. Not fantastic, but proves my point. Your friends and yourself may be the majority of shortsighted people who can't see what people are doing in finance.
i believe when ppl are tokin about investment banking or investment banker, they are referring to those who earned 150-200k pa (inclusive of bonus) as a fresh grad... n not anyone who work in an investment bank....

each year thousands and thousands of applications will be sent in for that few available position... among these ppl, there will be ppl from branded unis with strong academic result, excellent CCA track record and of cos extremely good interviewing skills... its hard for me to imagine they will hire anyone from a less branded sch instead... UNLESS that person has connections within.
Reply With Quote

  #557 (permalink)  
Old 27-09-2013, 01:15 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
Ilixr is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi all working gurus!

I'm a up and coming grad from UOL, expecting a first to 2nd-upper from a Bsc Information Systems and Management degree. I came from an IT diploma at SP, and on hindsight I cannot vision myself writing codes for the next 10 years, hence the swap to a more generic management degree.

HR is on the short list of possible types of jobs I want to take up, as I prefer to be involved with people rather then a screen. From what I got from the thread, I understand that even a grad with a 2nd and higher still starts off roughly around the HR executive level? With around a starter average of 2.5k.

I do HR as a module, along with various psychology and business types apart from the IT stuff, so I was wondering how relevant my degree actually is in the HR context, and what to expect as a fresh grad with these sorts of qualifications. Any input whatsoever will be greatly appreciated! I might have gotten the wrong idea of HR to begin with, so feel free to enlighten me.
Reply With Quote
  #558 (permalink)  
Old 27-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilixr View Post
Hi all working gurus!

I'm a up and coming grad from UOL, expecting a first to 2nd-upper from a Bsc Information Systems and Management degree. I came from an IT diploma at SP, and on hindsight I cannot vision myself writing codes for the next 10 years, hence the swap to a more generic management degree.

HR is on the short list of possible types of jobs I want to take up, as I prefer to be involved with people rather then a screen. From what I got from the thread, I understand that even a grad with a 2nd and higher still starts off roughly around the HR executive level? With around a starter average of 2.5k.

I do HR as a module, along with various psychology and business types apart from the IT stuff, so I was wondering how relevant my degree actually is in the HR context, and what to expect as a fresh grad with these sorts of qualifications. Any input whatsoever will be greatly appreciated! I might have gotten the wrong idea of HR to begin with, so feel free to enlighten me.
i grad with the same degree in 2005. I have had 3 jobs since, all nothing to do with my specialty.

your degree is your paper qualification to get you one step in. the rest is up to you.
Reply With Quote
  #559 (permalink)  
Old 27-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i grad with the same degree in 2005. I have had 3 jobs since, all nothing to do with my specialty.

your degree is your paper qualification to get you one step in. the rest is up to you.
Final year UOL student drawing 2500 in a search/headhunting firm.

Graduating next yr.
Reply With Quote
  #560 (permalink)  
Old 27-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Primary school teachers only have a diploma from NIE. Secondary school teachers have a degree from NIE. While JC teachers mostly have a basic local degree + NIE post-grad diploma.

Primary school teachers do start off less. Trust me.

Erm my wife is a primary school teacher and she has a NTU degree, a teaching diploma from NIE and a Masters in applied linguistics and she is earning more than my army friend teaching in JC....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
sim, starting pay, uol

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting pay for fresh grad? k3vin Income and Jobs 19 30-03-2018 01:39 AM
Fresh Grad with Masters starting salary in banking Novice Income and Jobs 18 09-02-2016 08:57 PM
Fresh Engineering Grad want to switch to Banking rampa001 Income and Jobs 53 17-09-2011 10:42 AM
Fresh Grad working as software engineer earning 10k/month megasoma Income and Jobs 7 28-07-2011 10:23 AM
Starting pay for fresh uni grad with partial acca geeokleiv Income and Jobs 0 13-06-2011 11:57 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 4,388 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,051 Replies, 3,846,949 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,725 Replies, 1,136,259 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,887 Replies, 1,758,020 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,170 Replies, 1,335,309 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,717 Replies, 5,926,966 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
226 Replies, 137,805 Views
ITE lecturer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
140 Replies, 133,918 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,618 Replies, 3,084,553 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
246 Replies, 225,133 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
121 Replies, 46,949 Views
Fresh grad wanting to know about... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 5,417 Views
Number of FT in Singapore coming... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 7,907 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 120,521 Views
Where would you invest your money... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 11,005 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 5,031 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
745 Replies, 374,526 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,630 Replies, 1,345,594 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,006 Replies, 1,146,547 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
337 Replies, 115,020 Views
Invitation to apply to civil...
0 Replies, 202 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021
6 Replies, 422 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
873 Replies, 260,443 Views
Looking for job referral,...
5 Replies, 525 Views
Diploma in Digital Marketing at...
4 Replies, 2,516 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 36,479 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 34,843 Views
Employment agency taking me to...
2 Replies, 146 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 3,247 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2