Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 04-07-2017 04:34 PM

Hey guys, ignore the naysayers. Sim UOL have good prospect in today markets.

I recently graduated first class honours, not easy put in a lot of effort. If you willing to work hard, you can success with first class honours. With first class, I got many job offers from big banks and MNCs, had my pick to choose. Eventually chose my current job at a MNC in finance industry, earning 4.2k per month starting. Not selling insurance or credit card, not commission based.

Of course private degree is still discriminated, but with hard work (don't even need contacts) can still success.

Unregistered 04-07-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98422)

I recently graduated first class honours, not easy put in a lot of effort. If you willing to work hard, you can success with first class honours. With first class, I got many job offers from big banks and MNCs, had my pick to choose. Eventually chose my current job at a MNC in finance industry, earning 4.2k per month starting. Not selling insurance or credit card, not commission based.

Of course private degree is still discriminated, but with hard work (don't even need contacts) can still success.

The hiring manager must be your senior from the same school then. congrats though, you must be one of the luckiest one around.

Unregistered 04-07-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Could you state what role is this in finance?

Unregistered 04-07-2017 07:42 PM

My role is that of financial planning & analysis for the company. Still learning and figuring out my precise job scope, but I have been handling the company's reporting of financials, analysing revenue trends and profit margins etc. Also some ad hoc work like reviewing expense reports and analysing deviations, reviewing credit notes to customers.

I guess I can say I am in the finance 'industry', but maybe finance 'department' is more accurate.

But yes, many companies/banks bid down the salaries of SIM-UOL grads simply because we are private. Other offers I received do not pay well - big banks (back office) pay less than 3k. I am quite lucky to settle down with this one good offer.

Unregistered 04-07-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98430)
My role is that of financial planning & analysis for the company. Still learning and figuring out my precise job scope, but I have been handling the company's reporting of financials, analysing revenue trends and profit margins etc. Also some ad hoc work like reviewing expense reports and analysing deviations, reviewing credit notes to customers.

I guess I can say I am in the finance 'industry', but maybe finance 'department' is more accurate.

But yes, many companies/banks bid down the salaries of SIM-UOL grads simply because we are private. Other offers I received do not pay well - big banks (back office) pay less than 3k. I am quite lucky to settle down with this one good offer.

Thanks for sharing. Yes your role seems like doing the analysis for the perfomance of the company. This differs from book-keeping role related to accounting. You should have good prospects in this role, learn as much as you can! Do you have any idea how much bonus are you in for?

houmaidog 05-07-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98408)
Great Eastern or Prudential?

Neither bro. Nth to do with financial sales.

Unregistered 06-07-2017 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houmaidog (Post 98457)
Neither bro. Nth to do with financial sales.

What industry is your company in and what is your role like?

houmaidog 13-07-2017 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98469)
What industry is your company in and what is your role like?

Finance ops

Unregistered 14-07-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

success with first class honours? can still success? why are you talking like this?

Unregistered 14-07-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Yeah seems like you found success despite not being able to differentiate if you are working in finance department or finance industry. Good luck though, make sure you are able to differentiate acc payable and acc receivable while receiving the cushy 4.2k salary per month. :)

Unregistered 15-07-2017 12:32 AM

Guys, don't be grammar nazis. Also, don't be like the guy above who criticizes with his poor command of the english language - "not being able to differentiate if", "to differentiate acc payable"...

Unregistered 22-07-2017 11:18 PM

Sharing

June 2014, Grad SIM-UOL, FCH Bsc. E&F
June 2015, Grad LSE, Merit MSc. Economics
Dec 2015, Started Civil Service, 4k
Dec 2016, 4.3k
Apr 2017, 4.9k

Unregistered 23-07-2017 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98905)
Sharing

Dec 2016, 4.3k
Apr 2017, 4.9k

Thanks for sharing. Could you share what role are you doing in civil service?

I think this is decent sharing related to your profile.

Unregistered 25-07-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98911)
Thanks for sharing. Could you share what role are you doing in civil service?

I think this is decent sharing related to your profile.

Doing analysis and research in Ministry. Was recommended in by a friend but also had to apply through the official channels. HR wasn't 100% sure my application would go through the protocols due to the SIM UOL degree even with my masters . But eventually got through.

Unregistered 25-07-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98931)
Doing analysis and research in Ministry. Was recommended in by a friend but also had to apply through the official channels. HR wasn't 100% sure my application would go through the protocols due to the SIM UOL degree even with my masters . But eventually got through.

Thanks. Honestly there is always a hinderance in govt sector with Sim uol. I graduated in 2012 and wanted to find a role in govt but to no avail. Fast forward till today, I am working in a global MNC and still cant get roles in govt sector.

Unregistered 25-07-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98936)
Thanks. Honestly there is always a hinderance in govt sector with Sim uol. I graduated in 2012 and wanted to find a role in govt but to no avail. Fast forward till today, I am working in a global MNC and still cant get roles in govt sector.

Perhaps higher chance through Stat boards. Can also try semi govt companies which works closely with govt sector to get some contacts first

Unregistered 27-07-2017 02:31 PM

Sim rmit econ fin grad 2012
2013 - 2.3k
2014 - 3.7k hop
2015 March - 4.1k incr + 4.5k bonus
2015 June - 5k hop
2016 - 5.2k incr + 56k bonus
2017 - 6k promotion + 62k bonus

Unregistered 28-07-2017 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98931)

Seems like if you do well enough to get accepted in LSE's Masters' programme, some employers are willing to overlook your Bachelor's.

Unregistered 24-08-2017 10:42 PM

My Journey

Graduated E&F - Second Lower

In House Broker - 2.5k +comms
Using connections, Private Banking Compliance - 3.3k
After 2 years of trying to rotate, Private Banking Trading Desk - 4.2k
Market Research and Trading firm - 7.5k + comms

I intend to open my own research firm in the future.

Total 5 years of working, took me 4 years to be able to finally chase my dreams of being a trader.

Currently incharge of Commodities (Gold, Oil, Copper) and Equities (China and Taiwan)

To all UOL grads, don't give up. Stigma is real. But hustle hard and grind hard. Definitely possible.

Unregistered 24-08-2017 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99758)
Graduated E&F - Second Lower

In House Broker - 2.5k +comms
Using connections, Private Banking Compliance - 3.3k
After 2 years of trying to rotate, Private Banking Trading Desk - 4.2k
Market Research and Trading firm - 7.5k + comms

I intend to open my own research firm in the future.

Total 5 years of working, took me 4 years to be able to finally chase my dreams of being a trader.

Currently incharge of Commodities (Gold, Oil, Copper) and Equities (China and Taiwan)

To all UOL grads, don't give up. Stigma is real. But hustle hard and grind hard. Definitely possible.

Thats good for you. What are the hours like for you as a trad

Unregistered 24-08-2017 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98905)
Sharing

Dec 2016, 4.3k
Apr 2017, 4.9k

Hey, we're in the same course and batch. And I think I know who you are.

June 2014, Grad SIM-UOL, BSc. E&F

Currently with a stat board 4.2k.

Unregistered 25-08-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99760)

Hi, is this your first job after graduation?

Unregistered 25-08-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99761)
Hi, is this your first job after graduation?

Yes, this is my first job and if you're asking, initially 3.3k.

Unregistered 25-08-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99776)
Yes, this is my first job and if you're asking, initially 3.3k.

Thats good. May I know what role are you doing in the stat board?

I was from SIM UOL too. But no luck with government sector.

Unregistered 27-08-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99759)
Thats good for you. What are the hours like for you as a trad

Because my office looks over the asian markets, we're expected to be in office by 6.30am daily.

Market research and daily outlook will take up about 2 hours till 8.30am. Then we rehearse the ideas for the day, when asian markets open at 9am we follow our plan and it's pretty much relaxed the whole day till after market closes (given nothing major causes a shakeups in the markets).

YummyMochi 31-08-2017 01:07 AM

Anyway peeps, Any idea what are the pay like for SIM-RMIT fresh graduate in Audit firm right now? Big 4 versus Mid tier company (As an Auditor)
Cause I heard big 4 are paying 2.8k - 3k for fresh graduate and not too sure about mid tier pay range. Anybody can advice on this?

Unregistered 31-08-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YummyMochi (Post 99877)
Anyway peeps, Any idea what are the pay like for SIM-RMIT fresh graduate in Audit firm right now? Big 4 versus Mid tier company (As an Auditor)
Cause I heard big 4 are paying 2.8k - 3k for fresh graduate and not too sure about mid tier pay range. Anybody can advice on this?

RMIT 2010 GRAD , personal experience

Local Audit Firm -
2010 - 3k exclude OT PAY
2011 - 3.151k
2012 - 3.35k
Big 4 D firm
2013 - 3.2k
2014 - 3.6k
2015 - 4.5k
2016 - 5.1k
2017 - 5.7k

Took a pay cut to enter big 4 .. but as u see it if well worth it . SME is great place to gain exp usually they take student from big 3 uni only ..

Unregistered 31-08-2017 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99781)
Thats good. May I know what role are you doing in the stat board?

I was from SIM UOL too. But no luck with government sector.

Ops planning and analysis

Unregistered 01-09-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99760)

may i know how's the promotion structure like? assuming u started as assistant manager right? how long to move up to manager? what's the starting pay for assistant manager, any difference with local uni grads? does it vary all similar across stat boards?

Unregistered 01-09-2017 02:15 PM

Just to share I graduated from uol in 2012. Currently drawing 5.8k excluding bonus. I took a study break in 2014. I am working in a top tier MNC. Technically I have 3 years plus relevant experience in credit risk. I was in ops for 1 year.

Unregistered 02-09-2017 01:05 AM

You guys are good, can help me pull some strings or share lobang?

I have experience working in credit rating agency as rating analyst, worked in both FI group and corporate banking as FO credit analyst since grad.

Yet have been able to come close to most people salary here with same years of experience

Please share some FO banking job lobang, will be happy to contact you guys anytime

Unregistered 02-09-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99933)
You guys are good, can help me pull some strings or share lobang?

I have experience working in credit rating agency as rating analyst, worked in both FI group and corporate banking as FO credit analyst since grad.

Yet have been able to come close to most people salary here with same years of experience

Please share some FO banking job lobang, will be happy to contact you guys anytime

Bro, dont say i selfish. But really alot of FO jobs out there. Go linkedin and reach out to the recruiters. I find that they will usually be more than happy to help.
If not, try the local banks. Especially DBS and OCBC all looking for FO people.

Unregistered 03-09-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99895)
RMIT 2010 GRAD , personal experience

Local Audit Firm -
2010 - 3k exclude OT PAY
2011 - 3.151k
2012 - 3.35k
Big 4 D firm
2013 - 3.2k
2014 - 3.6k
2015 - 4.5k
2016 - 5.1k
2017 - 5.7k

Took a pay cut to enter big 4 .. but as u see it if well worth it . SME is great place to gain exp usually they take student from big 3 uni only ..

Didnt know sme pay 3k for aa1. I suppose u were senior when u entered b4?

Unregistered 03-09-2017 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99957)
Didnt know sme pay 3k for aa1. I suppose u were senior when u entered b4?

He probably entered as AA2 due to having prior experience.

Unregistered 03-09-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99914)
may i know how's the promotion structure like? assuming u started as assistant manager right? how long to move up to manager? what's the starting pay for assistant manager, any difference with local uni grads? does it vary all similar across stat boards?

Oct 2014 - MX13 Management executive
Jul 2017 - MX12 Assistant manager

Unregistered 04-09-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99975)
Oct 2014 - MX13 Management executive
Jul 2017 - MX12 Assistant manager

what's the difference between the 2? from what I understand, someone with a bach degree starts off as asst manager in public sector?

may I know which ministry/stat board r u at? thanks!!

Unregistered 04-09-2017 03:26 PM

hi guys, shld I take up an intern role for 6 mths which pays a pathetic 1.5k at a bunker trading coy? fyi I recently grad last month

Unregistered 08-09-2017 07:46 AM

6 months is a long time. The opportunity cost in this one is big should you decide not to continue in this line of business as ur career or do not get converted to perm with a much higher salary at the ens of 6 months.

Unregistered 14-09-2017 03:17 PM

Has anyone work in social service firms with a pte degree? Is it even possible to get in?

Unregistered 25-10-2017 02:26 PM

Hi guys, I just graduated from SIM UOL this august and I have been working as a finance assistant for 2 years. I was wondering what should be my expected salary range? The range seems pretty wide from what i've read here. Thanks!