Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 28-10-2016 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 91567)
At least learn to BS properly.

Left school 4 years ago and spent 3 years going nowhere in a failed company and suddenly consult for other successful businesses making annual income of 250k "last year".

What did you do last year? Got laid off after company bankrupt and suddenly start your own consultancy and made 250k within few months?

I spent 2 years at the startup, not 3. I said the startup failed. I said nothing about bankruptcy. Co-founders don't get laid off. They sell their shares and exit.

All I will say is that I am involved in business management systems and fundraising. The first month after I started my consulting firm, I made 40k. I had a full year. Go figure it out.

4 years ago, I was in the same situation like you UOL fresh grads here, lurking in the forums, searching for guidance and direction. You can choose to think I'm sprouting BS, or you can partake of the few nuggets of wisdom I have.

I won't be posting again. Good luck.

Unregistered 28-10-2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 91578)
I spent 2 years at the startup, not 3. I said the startup failed. I said nothing about bankruptcy. Co-founders don't get laid off. They sell their shares and exit.

All I will say is that I am involved in business management systems and fundraising. The first month after I started my consulting firm, I made 40k. I had a full year. Go figure it out.

4 years ago, I was in the same situation like you UOL fresh grads here, lurking in the forums, searching for guidance and direction. You can choose to think I'm sprouting BS, or you can partake of the few nuggets of wisdom I have.

I won't be posting again. Good luck.

Give me a break from this BS please. Here is the timeline on your original story:

Graduated 4 years ago a.k.a 2012

2012: Graduated
2012-2013: Spent 1 year in a foreign bank drawing 3k
2013-2015: Spent 2 years in a failed business as an employee/co-founder (depending on which version of the story you have)
2015: Company folded and equity became "worthless". Went from an unemployed guy to suddenly doing a startup that turned 40k profit on the first month of operations! Even made 250k in this partial year alone!

LOL. Want to BS at least get your story straight. First you say you "joined" a startup, now you say you are a "co-founder". At first say you are are left with "worthless equity", now you put a spin about how you weren't retrenched but simply sold off your shares as a co-founder. What happened to the earlier claim about the equity being worthless? You sold it for $1?

Talk rubbish still simi sai share "few nuggets of wisdom I have".

Unregistered 28-10-2016 09:15 PM

All of you are dogs la. What local uni grad sim grad. Limpei o level only ok! Knn study so much, end up work for people like me only hahaha. Your lousy 1 year salary cannot even cover my ktv and entertainment expenses for 1 month. Go fly kite la

Unregistered 29-10-2016 11:24 AM

For those who claim startup successful biz, name of biz please.

For those who claim mega pay from employer, linkedin profile please.

Otherwise stop disturbing this thread as real SIM-UOL grads need accurate info.

hopeless 03-11-2016 03:36 PM

Come on let's be nice. Anyway,

Does a SIM-GE degree render any civil service job applications useless? I mean is it true that they only consider graduates from NUS/NTU/SMU and that it's almost impossible for a graduate SIM-GE to land a job in the civil service, say in AGD, AGO etc?

Unregistered 03-11-2016 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopeless (Post 91751)

Does a SIM-GE degree render any civil service job applications useless? I mean is it true that they only consider graduates from NUS/NTU/SMU and that it's almost impossible for a graduate SIM-GE to land a job in the civil service, say in AGD, AGO etc?

I think those lower end less popular stat board still got chance, not high but the chance is there. AGD/AGO don't bother, they will not entertain unless you are willing to take up a poly position.

Unregistered 12-11-2016 07:57 PM

sim ftw

my sim first class cannot compare to your local U second upper? really?

Unregistered 12-11-2016 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 91959)
my sim first class cannot compare to your local U second upper? really?

Unfortunately, yes.

Unregistered 12-11-2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 91592)
Give me a break from this BS please. Here is the timeline on your original story:

Graduated 4 years ago a.k.a 2012

2012: Graduated
2012-2013: Spent 1 year in a foreign bank drawing 3k
2013-2015: Spent 2 years in a failed business as an employee/co-founder (depending on which version of the story you have)
2015: Company folded and equity became "worthless". Went from an unemployed guy to suddenly doing a startup that turned 40k profit on the first month of operations! Even made 250k in this partial year alone!

LOL. Want to BS at least get your story straight. First you say you "joined" a startup, now you say you are a "co-founder". At first say you are are left with "worthless equity", now you put a spin about how you weren't retrenched but simply sold off your shares as a co-founder. What happened to the earlier claim about the equity being worthless? You sold it for $1?

Talk rubbish still simi sai share "few nuggets of wisdom I have".

There's really no winning on this forum. If you do well, you get haters like the one above, and if you don't do well, you're a useless grad who can't find a job. Misery does love company.

Unregistered 12-11-2016 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 91962)
There's really no winning on this forum. If you do well, you get haters like the one above, and if you don't do well, you're a useless grad who can't find a job. Misery does love company.

People are here to get good useful and accurate advice, not to hear BS story that is all over this forum.

If all you are thinking is 'winning' or 'losing' then go somewhere else.

Unregistered 27-11-2016 12:22 PM

Hi everyone. How much does a contract job at a budget bracket bank gives? Does it matter if one is from a local uni or a private uni? Are contract pay negotiable? Please honest answers only thank you!.

Unregistered 27-11-2016 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92565)
Hi everyone. How much does a contract job at a budget bracket bank gives? Does it matter if one is from a local uni or a private uni? Are contract pay negotiable? Please honest answers only thank you!.

Since it's a budget bracket firm, I'm going with 2k.

Wont really matter if you are local or private cos it's the budget that matters and they will surely welcome local grad willing to accept 2k

Unregistered 27-11-2016 09:05 PM

Angela PARADERO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92590)

Wont really matter if you are local or private cos it's the budget that matters and they will surely welcome local grad willing to accept 2k

i think he meant a bulge bracket bank

Unregistered 27-11-2016 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92590)

u gotta be joking right?

local / overseas degree asking for 2k? den wtf u even take a degree for? avg degree fee easily costs 20k to 30k. how many years do u wanna work to recover your uni tuition fees?
unless u have rich parents paying for your sch fees...

if work for 2k, i might as well sign on with uniformed group or join civil servant as MSO.

heck, even a diploma holder who signs on with SPF as SGT alr earning low to mid 2s per month...

study so much for wat? lmao

Unregistered 27-11-2016 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92592)
u gotta be joking right?

local / overseas degree asking for 2k? den wtf u even take a degree for? avg degree fee easily costs 20k to 30k. how many years do u wanna work to recover your uni tuition fees?

if work for 2k, i might as well sign on with uniformed group or join civil servant as MSO.

heck, even a diploma holder who signs on with SPF as SGT alr earning low to mid 2s per month...

The fact is there is a sizable minority degree grads who fail to secure any jobs and are currently unemployed. Some are also underemployed on contracts that pay by the hour. 2k starting is the least of their problem.

Unregistered 27-11-2016 11:02 PM

Park pu indah

lets be serious and answer the question

Unregistered 01-12-2016 01:23 AM

full of big canon fairy here... every tom dick harry claims to be earning $100k above p.a, both husband & wife all high earners... reality is jus keyboard warrior typing out their fantasy to make their miserable lives better hehehe

Unregistered 01-12-2016 04:52 AM

Quote:

u gotta be joking right?

Putting the pieces of information together here... fresh grad, contact job in a bank, so probably back office ops. 2K isn't unreasonable, although I've also seen higher. Range I've heard is $1.8K to $2.4K.

Unregistered 01-12-2016 07:35 AM

Quote:

u gotta be joking right?

You are indeed better off signing off.

Unregistered 01-12-2016 09:08 AM

Desde RISTORANT

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92691)
Putting the pieces of information together here... fresh grad, contact job in a bank, so probably back office ops. 2K isn't unreasonable, although I've also seen higher. Range I've heard is $1.8K to $2.4K.

How can it be so low. My friends on contract last year had starting pay of 2.9 to 3. I myself have offers ranging from 2.5 to 3 this year too

Unregistered 01-12-2016 05:54 PM

can someone please explain why contract jobs at banks pay far lesser than permanent similar roles. May I know where does the pay difference go to.

Unregistered 01-12-2016 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92716)
can someone please explain why contract jobs at banks pay far lesser than permanent similar roles. May I know where does the pay difference go to.

Cheaper to hire contracts. Banks just don't want to spend.

Unregistered 01-12-2016 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92721)

But does any of it go to the recruitment agent? Or its just what the bank is willing to give

MrFinanc3 06-12-2016 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92691)

It is true. Contract job for bank usually dont pay alot especially if the person do not have experience and thus no bargaining power to speak of. 1.8k to 2.4k is pretty reasonable. But if u are doing admin work for contract in bank at 2k. It is really not worth it at all. At the end of the day, it depend on what position you working in rather than the pay itself. This is especially true where bank now are cutting jobs and only offer their position to the best candidate available.

MrFinanc3 06-12-2016 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopeless (Post 91751)

Not trolling but it will be hard to enter civil sector. And they will be paid diploma pay since civil service dont recognise pte degree. So those pte U student that boast that they manage to get 4k when enter civil service are definitely blowing their own trumpets a little too loud

MrFinanc3 06-12-2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

u gotta be joking right?

2k is abit too low but some of the guy here could be right. If you dont want it. Someone else will take it. It is a law of supply and demand

Unregistered 06-12-2016 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92721)

Not only that, more economically viable to hire at contract basis. Able to assess whether the person can do the job well. Also, can kick the person without any liability involved(never sign long term contract or anything) thus, many companies are following this culture. So these contract jobs are basically 'internship' this create disincentive for student to find a internship since contract job also a form of internship anyway

Unregistered 06-12-2016 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92716)

Contract job is basically like OJT/internship. It is a better internship since you are paid higher as conpared to internship experience. Company that want to see whether the person can do the job well and fit the environment will hire them on contract basis

Unregistered 06-12-2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92814)
Contract job is basically like OJT/internship. It is a better internship since you are paid higher as conpared to internship experience. Company that want to see whether the person can do the job well and fit the environment will hire them on contract basis

Nah thats just the official positive spin. Real reason is companies need to manage h/c and contain cost but cannot come up with policies that affect the perm employees and company branding, so they outsource to contractors.

Of course as time pass and situation change, there will be occasional permanent openings in which they will pick the best contractors to convert since it is less risky with proven track record from the person.

In difficult times like these, they will just renew and renew without offering perm no matter how good you are if they cannot secure the headcount approval. Ask the thousands of contractors in banking BO who have been renewing their 2 year contracts since 2008. They are still lucky, many average or poor performers were simply not renewed.

Unregistered 07-12-2016 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFinanc3 (Post 92810)
It is true. Contract job for bank usually dont pay alot especially if the person do not have experience and thus no bargaining power to speak of. 1.8k to 2.4k is pretty reasonable. But if u are doing admin work for contract in bank at 2k. It is really not worth it at all. At the end of the day, it depend on what position you working in rather than the pay itself. This is especially true where bank now are cutting jobs and only offer their position to the best candidate available.

1.8 to 2.4k for a fresh grad? thats so fking embarrassing and unfitting for a graduate

Unregistered 07-12-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFinanc3 (Post 92810)

What sort of roles do you constitute as admin? I have had calls for data and documentation. Are these admin? Thanks

Unregistered 07-12-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92824)
1.8 to 2.4k for a fresh grad? thats so fking embarrassing and unfitting for a graduate

$2K for a fresh grad is fairy reasonable in this present environment. You must understand that for private degrees the banks will discriminate, its a silent policy whether you like it or not. You must realize that taking the private route is easily attainable for any cohort. A look at our 0-levels results reveal that 80% achieve 5 O-level passes so these people are eligible for polytechnic education. Fast forward, they easily qualify for private tertiary education. This excludes those from N-level and Ite routes, a proportion of them may also decide to pursue private degrees by taking a bridging program. So we have a situation whereby over supply of grads in the market place.

In recent years, each of our cohort is performing better in national exams and this is manifested in our students' abilities to excel in international assessments. Going forward, expect more supply of grads and the more desirable employers shall have a field time in choosing who to employ for even back office roles.

Rather than grumbling over pay, better for fresh private degree holders to take whatever opportunities given to learn as much and work really hard to perform on the job. Remember there's a long queue waiting to enter the banking sector.

existence92 11-12-2016 02:33 AM

sorry to ask if this question has been asked before..

may i humbly ask , for a new applicant for sim uol banking and finance, looking into future career pathways -

what would be recommended things to study to prepare?
what is the difference between analyst / others?
I would like to work in a job (realistically) in back office doing operations such as ie. bank tellers(?), analysts, others or middle office (if i am lucky) - what should i be doing?

i knew an acquaintances who was second in her whole cohort, working in J.P.Morgan chase - it's possible for SIM grads to work in there...

I appreciate any advice given..

Unregistered 11-12-2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by existence92 (Post 92966)

may i humbly ask , for a new applicant for sim uol banking and finance, looking into future career pathways -

I would like to work in a job (realistically) in back office doing operations such as ie. bank tellers(?), analysts, others or middle office (if i am lucky) - what should i be doing?

i knew an acquaintances who was second in her whole cohort, working in J.P.Morgan chase - it's possible for SIM grads to work in there...

whenever u ask people where they working.. also ask them what they working as / position?

those road side sell credit card also call work at citibank/SCB
those in bank work as admin also call work in bank.

Unregistered 11-12-2016 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by existence92 (Post 92966)

Why not just apply and the answer will be very obvious - most likely you will only get contract operations offer in banking BO. As for what bank or what job among BO ops, I don't think got much difference. Is contract for JPM BO better than say DBS? I think it's the same.

Unregistered 19-06-2017 12:19 PM

Finance ops analyst / accountant

Hi All, my company is currently hiring finance and accounting students due to constant expansion and turn over rate as well. Do contact us if u would like to apply as the company policy seems to at least shortlist the candidate for an interview if they are being referred by current employee.

Start pay: 3000/mth, salary adj every 6months depending on performance

We try to help refer graduates who are interested in the role as the company give referral fees if we actually refer them suitable candidates (they dont have to source and filter for candidates).

Just some info to let u have a better idea of the people working here.
Quite a handful of fresh grad start working at this co. From the people i know in the co., most are:
- Ntu Graduates
- Smu Graduates
- SIM UOL Graduates with Second Upper Class Honours & Above
- SIM RMIT Graduates with Distinction

Any queries can email us at alaricwoon@gmail .com or u can forward your resume to us, we will send to our HR Team and CC-ed you in the email to follow up!

Unregistered 19-06-2017 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98133)
Hi All, my company is currently hiring finance and accounting students due to constant expansion and turn over rate as well. Do contact us if u would like to apply as the company policy seems to at least shortlist the candidate for an interview if they are being referred by current employee.

Start pay: 3000/mth, salary adj every 6months depending on performance

We try to help refer graduates who are interested in the role as the company give referral fees if we actually refer them suitable candidates (they dont have to source and filter for candidates).

Just some info to let u have a better idea of the people working here.
Quite a handful of fresh grad start working at this co. From the people i know in the co., most are:
- Ntu Graduates
- Smu Graduates
- SIM UOL Graduates with Second Upper Class Honours & Above
- SIM RMIT Graduates with Distinction

Any queries can email us at alaricwoon@gmail .com or u can forward your resume to us, we will send to our HR Team and CC-ed you in the email to follow up!

Is this a start up or sme?

Unregistered 30-06-2017 12:49 PM

Hi guys, I know that being a SIM-UOL student is already at a disadvantaged as compared to local uni grads. Therefore, I would like to boost my resume while studying in sch. Other than internships, do companies look out for ppl who are actively volunteering in community service? I'm kinda curious about employers' perspective towards volunteering work. Is it an added bonus to one's resume?

houmaidog 03-07-2017 08:50 PM

I finished my UOL final exams(Accounting and Finance) in May'2017 and managed to land a job that pays me $3.7K/mth.

I applied for jobs through various job portals - linkedin, jobstreet, hays, recruiter etc.. Went for a few interviews but did not get shortlisted for the job.

I think being a private degree holder already puts us at a disadvantage compared to local university. I was fortunate enough to learn of the opening that my current company offers through my contacts.

As you have heard your family or friends saying that contacts are really important, It is so dam true!!!

Any private U fresh grads can pm me privately if you like to have a command a higher salary as my company is still hiring.

Unregistered 04-07-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houmaidog (Post 98399)
I finished my UOL final exams(Accounting and Finance) in May'2017 and managed to land a job that pays me $3.7K/mth.

I applied for jobs through various job portals - linkedin, jobstreet, hays, recruiter etc.. Went for a few interviews but did not get shortlisted for the job.

I think being a private degree holder already puts us at a disadvantage compared to local university. I was fortunate enough to learn of the opening that my current company offers through my contacts.

As you have heard your family or friends saying that contacts are really important, It is so dam true!!!

Any private U fresh grads can pm me privately if you like to have a command a higher salary as my company is still hiring.

Great Eastern or Prudential?