Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 04-04-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23251)
As an Accounts Executive in a logistics company.

It is more important to consider the opportunities for career advancement than the starting pay. Where do you see yourself in 3 years time if you stayed in the company? Is it a dead end job? Do you have a lot of peers competing with you for promotion? Is it a good company where you can learn about best practices? Do you like the manager, management team, culture when you were undergoing the interview (based on gut feel)?

SIM GRAD 04-04-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manamuchacha (Post 21638)
Wooh, thats alot. May I know where you got this job from?

i was lucky...i got this job through a recruitment agency and they are looking at fresh grads. Luckily they didnt look at my results..haha

Unregistered 07-04-2012 10:05 PM

Anyone in econs and finance can share the experience? Thank you^^

Unregistered 18-04-2012 05:15 AM

hi, a fresh grad IT exec for $2700 is this all right ?

Unregistered 24-04-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23962)

UOL IT ??

that is good....

Unregistered 25-04-2012 07:51 AM

let me share with everyone my experience.

2008 UOL PT Year 1 - Bump around
2009 UOL PT Year 2 - 1.5k starting
2010 UOL PT Year 3 - 2.5k (change job)
2011, UOL PT Year 3 (grad year) - 4.2k (promotion)
2012, 1 year after grad - 6k (promotion)

Currently, 25 years old.

At the end of the day, i don't see myself any different from local grads. My class of honors is not even high, it is just a 2nd lower. Paper qualifications matters little in the private sector. In fact, i did not even bother to submit my degree qualification to my company after i graduated (MNC). What REALLY matters are performance, networks, ability and soft skills (etc; communication, initiative, personality).

Unregistered 25-04-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24198)

Currently, 25 years old.

At the end of the day, i don't see myself any different from local grads. My class of honors is not even high, it is just a 2nd lower. Paper qualifications matters little in the private sector. In fact, i did not even bother to submit my degree qualification to my company after i graduated (MNC). What REALLY matters are performance, networks, ability and soft skills (etc; communication, initiative, personality).

Good for you. But not true that paper qualifications matters little in pte sector. It depends on the company (culture),job function and people. Depends whether your boss or your boss's boss is biased against those with poor paper qualification. The glass ceiling may be lower too. When the time comes when you are ready to move up to senior management position, there are other considerations besides your work performance.

Unregistered 25-04-2012 03:46 PM

i'm impressed

Quote:

Currently, 25 years old.

Some really impressive stats there. But this is definitely not the norm for most people. Your 2 consecutive yearly increment is at 68% and 42%, definitely unheard of in most industries, especially for a 25 year old.

Unregistered 27-04-2012 01:12 AM

I got a job a in a bulge bracket american investment bank with a pay in the high 3k range upon graduation. BSc Banking n Finance with 2nd Lower. They didn't bother to ask for my results at all. But am now struggling because of poor work life balance in the bank. :(

Unregistered 27-04-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24168)
UOL IT ??

that is good....

not uol. a local u. just wondering if its ok

Unregistered 27-04-2012 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24295)
I got a job a in a bulge bracket american investment bank with a pay in the high 3k range upon graduation. BSc Banking n Finance with 2nd Lower. They didn't bother to ask for my results at all. But am now struggling because of poor work life balance in the bank. :(

You expect work-life balance while working in an IB?

Omezarn 30-04-2012 02:15 AM

Quote:

wow awesome... Care to share how you got the job ?

Unregistered 01-05-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Bad, very bad.
Your peers will start ~$4k.

Unregistered 12-05-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Did u hv any prior working experience before?
With this kind of pay, I will gladly trade work life balance fori it.

BonyBondo 13-05-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24719)
Did u hv any prior working experience before?
With this kind of pay, I will gladly trade work life balance fori it.

Do consider the trade-off in the long term. If they din bother to look at your grades, most probably they are filling u in to the Operations department where lots of mundane work are done day-in day-out. Are you sure you gonna live with that for years to come?

Putting things in perspective of the firm, the high starting pay is what that draws such a contagious effect among the undergraduates who are convinced by the kind of upfront salaries drawn from bulge bracket firms.

However, the REAL DEAL at the FO has already long been taken by scholars, ex-interns, ivy league graduates and etc.

Don't let this myopia get the better of you.

wern 13-05-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

wow to achieve that i'm pretty impressed. did you intern with them previously?

Unregistered 14-05-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wern (Post 24750)
wow to achieve that i'm pretty impressed. did you intern with them previously?

You're impressed with a 3k pay?! Or a BB name? How about a janitor working in BB with a 2k pay?

Unregistered 17-05-2012 01:50 PM

SIM UOL Graduate 2012

Hi, I'm a SIM UOL Gruadate (Graduating 2012) in Economics & Management

I still have 3 papers to sit for but I've managed to secure myself a job in a bank with a starting pay of $2700, starting this June. The position is Branch Executive.

As of now, i don't know what honors i am going to graduate with but I am aiming to clinch a 2nd upper class, if not a 2nd lower will suffice. If I do manage to clinch a 2:1 honors, maybe I'd negotiate for a higher pay. Either way, in my interview, i wrote in my application form that my expected salary is $2500 (i'm not that picky) but I was instead offered $2700 in my contract when they accepted me for the job. So, as much as many would think it's "under-paid", I say I'm grateful enough to be given a job in such turbulent times.

My advise to all of you is on the interview. The interview will make-or-break your chance to get that job. I think I did well during the interview as I did my homework prior to coming down for the interview and planned ahead the questions that is to be asked (which they did and were impressed with my answers).

Your honors is only a bargaining tool to negotiate your starting pay. After securing the job, anything that goes beyond that, your certs don't matter anymore. So I would advise all you guys out there to not just focus on mugging, but also focus on building your character because to me that is the variable that will take you places!!

All the best my fellow SIM-UOL friends!! :)

Unregistered 17-05-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24844)

I still have 3 papers to sit for but I've managed to secure myself a job in a bank with a starting pay of $2700, starting this June. The position is Branch Executive.

As of now, i don't know what honors i am going to graduate with but I am aiming to clinch a 2nd upper class, if not a 2nd lower will suffice. If I do manage to clinch a 2:1 honors, maybe I'd negotiate for a higher pay. Either way, in my interview, i wrote in my application form that my expected salary is $2500 (i'm not that picky) but I was instead offered $2700 in my contract when they accepted me for the job. So, as much as many would think it's "under-paid", I say I'm grateful enough to be given a job in such turbulent times.

My advise to all of you is on the interview. The interview will make-or-break your chance to get that job. I think I did well during the interview as I did my homework prior to coming down for the interview and planned ahead the questions that is to be asked (which they did and were impressed with my answers).

Your honors is only a bargaining tool to negotiate your starting pay. After securing the job, anything that goes beyond that, your certs don't matter anymore. So I would advise all you guys out there to not just focus on mugging, but also focus on building your character because to me that is the variable that will take you places!!

Did you have any relevant working experiences prior to this?

Unregistered 30-05-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austerity (Post 22557)
I echo with what this guy has mentioned earlier on... In finance industry, its all about connections and personal branding. I'm currently a year 2 student studying Bsc Banking & Finance, but through connections (not family but through networking events & rapport over a course of 6months) I've interned in one of the bulge bracket banks during my year 1 summer break. Another piece of advice: do not have that self-defeating mentality just because you are studying in a private universities and therefore having to settle for a job with lower pay or unpopular roles. You have to strategise and plan your roadmap - if you know if you are not academically inclined PLEASE BY ALL MEANS find a niche for yourself - and it can be as simple as applying the porter's five force model on yourself!

Now many of you might be curious, how is this freshman in his year 1 able to break into the scene? My formula is quite simple - you have to plan and start early. As early as in army days, I've developed a passion for investments and did my due diligence by reading up ALOT on the financial markets and thereafter explored the realm of banking & finance sector. I knew this will be something that I can see myself working countless hours on without lamenting and cursing about the nature of the work.

Thereafter, I focus and channel my research into the skill sets that are highly valued by individual financial institutions. I shall not elaborate too much on it over here. A quick look at Understanding Investment Banking | Mergers & Inquisitions will give you a much better idea what is required from the respective departments.

CV & Resume should be viewed as forms of ART. Just over a year, I have at least edited my resume over 10 times to polish and refine every time I've accomplished something new - such as winning a nationwide competition or getting involved in school activities.

As for my interview, I faired reasonably well because I did have a few referees and testimonials from my past employers, schools & army. I also came prepared with some research work on companies & stocks (Yes, I was interning in ER) that I did out of my own time to showcase my passion in this line of work. I would also like to highlight that it is important to be have a strong self-concept coming to interviews as you need to be truthful and sincere in answering interview questions. Smoking in these top calibre companies just won't get you anywhere as these prominent companies are well staffed with HR managers who can scrutinise you inside-out, detecting lies and reading body languages. Of course, you've also got to be someone that can be gel in well with the rest of the department. An easy way of putting things into perspective is to visualise yourself on the other side of the interviewing room - would you want to hire a first class honor candidate with nothing else in particular to boost or a second upper honor candidate that has a lot similar & interesting hobbies as you do?

Ultimately, 天时地利人和 plays a very important part as well. What you can change and do from now is, to equip yourself with the right skill sets, knowledge and expertise in area of your targeted area of job. It might be daunting to identify your career path too early in your undergraduate life but YOU JUST HAVE TO DO IT. You need whatever edge you can gain on your hand to stand ahead of the rest. Do attend networking sessions regularly. CFA Singapore Society is one good avenue to start off with. As the adage goes: "One door leads to many other doors." If people find comfortable talking to you, they will usually share some news and whisper exclusive networking groups that are per-invite-basis base on how sincere & humble you are. Another way to quickly understand the skill sets required for the industry is to go linkedin and check out on the public profiles of individuals who have interned in your targeted companies to see what they have done leading up to their internship or graduate programmes.

Hope the rest of the SIM peeps who have seen this will start taking more actions from today! Believe in yourself!

Hi may I know which dept in the BB you interned in? And care to share your story of how you made it in?

Unregistered 25-06-2012 12:25 PM

Salary range

May I know what is the salary range for uol (accounting and finance) at the moment? I'm current waiting for my results. What are the sectors which you guys will recommend as I'm not going to further an ACCA or ICAPS.

PaycheckSG 25-06-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24844)

I think Austerity totally got it right. Your qualifications opens the door for the chance of an interview. Thereafter, its who wants it more and is a better fit. Ask yourself this question: "If you are the hiring manager, do you want to hire someone every 6 months - 1 year, or someone who will stay with you to do your job?"

Project this attitude and the willingness to learn and I am sure your chances will be greatly increased.

Unfortunately, we been reading too many career articles on projecting confidence and such. Much as we like to think we are competent and intelligent, succeeding down this path will require something very "special".

Its also futile to compare salary based on arbitrary info. So focus on getting the first job and leave the salary negotiation to the next job. I always believe that if you're unhappy about the salary, the door is always open.

Unregistered - minty 26-06-2012 09:48 PM

Hi, i'm from Uol business, currently waiting for results.

May i have some advice on what kind of jobs i can apply to and pay reasonably well for grads??

my background:
-probably getting pass or 3rd class hons (worse case scenario)
-2 yrs FT admin experience in small pte coy prior to Uni
-poly diploma in biotechnology
-done temps in customer svc, retail n promoter during vacations

Unregistered 27-06-2012 12:21 AM

Sales - as long as you hit targets, the commissions and incentives will be plentiful.

Unless your admin experience had particularly exceptional achievements included, it's likely most hiring managers would consider your portfolio to be almost equivalent to a fresh grad. If you opt for non-sales related roles, a reasonable guess would be that you might secure a generalist role drawing a salary of around $2200 to $2700. Mostly this will depend on your job searching and interviewing skills, all the best.

Unregistered 02-07-2012 12:45 AM

hi guys. I have Degree in Econs at UOL. Any idea what is a good starting salary?

Unregistered 14-07-2012 06:17 PM

hi all, I'm a 3rd yr student coming next semester. May I know how long does it takes for you seniors out there to finally land on a perm job? Do you start searching mths before the May exam or after results release in Aug?

I intend to start looking b4 my final exams but what are the probabilities that coy request for the Uol cert or transcripts b4 they hire cuz I know the graduation will be held in the following april prior to final exams. Sorry I am very noob and amateur.

Unregistered 16-07-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26631)
hi all, I'm a 3rd yr student coming next semester. May I know how long does it takes for you seniors out there to finally land on a perm job? Do you start searching mths before the May exam or after results release in Aug?

I intend to start looking b4 my final exams but what are the probabilities that coy request for the Uol cert or transcripts b4 they hire cuz I know the graduation will be held in the following april prior to final exams. Sorry I am very noob and amateur.

after the release of results and completing of eCR, u can begin your job search. theres a lot to learn and its good to know about what to look for, before you start to attempt at getting interviews.

Unregistered 16-07-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26661)
after the release of results and completing of eCR, u can begin your job search. theres a lot to learn and its good to know about what to look for, before you start to attempt at getting interviews.

Thank you for the advice. :)

K Aravindhan 18-07-2012 11:44 AM

Seeking Internship at Banks in Singapore and not in SIngapore

Dear All

Im embarking on my 1st yr in BSc Banking and Finance at SIM=UOL. Can anyone enlighten me on how to get internship at banks other than through SIM channels. Any contacts or emails?

Thanks

JustAnEngineer 19-07-2012 04:42 PM

Personal Experience

Hey people. I graduated from uol degree in information systems in 2009.

These are my salary increments thus far.

2009 : $2000
2010 : $2500
2011 : $2500
2012 : $3200 (Job Hop)

I'm working in the engineering field at a private firm.

I had an internship at a public sector organization in 2008.

Personally, I believe uol degrees are worthwhile investments. :)

Unregistered 21-07-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnEngineer (Post 26776)
Hey people. I graduated from uol degree in information systems in 2009.

These are my salary increments thus far.

2009 : $2000
2010 : $2500
2011 : $2500
2012 : $3200 (Job Hop)

I'm working in the engineering field at a private firm.

I had an internship at a public sector organization in 2008.

Personally, I believe uol degrees are worthwhile investments. :)

Wow that's a high pay jump from $2500 to $3200. I think alot of companies not willing to just such a high jump... care to share which honors were you?

JustAnEngineer 23-07-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26854)
Wow that's a high pay jump from $2500 to $3200. I think alot of companies not willing to just such a high jump... care to share which honors were you?

Second Lower Honours.
0.28 * 2500 = 700

28% increment is possible.

Work hard at your cv and negotiation skills.

Cheers.

Unregistered 25-07-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnEngineer (Post 26892)
Second Lower Honours.
0.28 * 2500 = 700

28% increment is possible.

Work hard at your cv and negotiation skills.

Cheers.

sounds reasonable. after all u had 3 yrs exp in the same company (?) b4 u jump? prob the degree and experience allows u to get the 28%. can u enlighten how exactly to negotiate? *wink*

Unregistered 26-07-2012 11:24 PM

I'm a UOL BIZ student also waiting for results, expected 2nd upp hons, got called up for interview for a market research position, first 3 mths probation they'll pay me 2k and after 3 mths will be 2.5-2.6k... kinda low but well, i guess cant be too picky considering the job mkt now like kinda bad?

Unregistered 01-08-2012 03:16 PM

I was offered 2.3k too, for an officer role with payable OT after 44hrs but i applied for the executive position.

uol fresh grad this yr. dunno to take up the position or continue looking? Any advice from all?

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorman (Post 15839)
Hey guys just thought of starting a thread for all fresh degree grads from UOL.

Local Uni grads, feel free to input your starting pay for the envy of others lol.

For me, i'm getting a miserable $2,300. :(

Unregistered 01-08-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27236)
I was offered 2.3k too, for an officer role with payable OT after 44hrs but i applied for the executive position.

uol fresh grad this yr. dunno to take up the position or continue looking? Any advice from all?

Most fresh grad exec roles are at least 3.2k now

Unregistered 01-08-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27238)
Most fresh grad exec roles are at least 3.2k now

just heard over radio that Hay Group is reporting a median fresh grad pay of 2.7-2.9k.

much more realistic.

Unregistered 01-08-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27239)
just heard over radio that Hay Group is reporting a median fresh grad pay of 2.7-2.9k.

much more realistic.

Hay median numbers are always skewed down because the civil service/ stat board/ some GLC report only basic pay without merit/honours/ns premium takes up close to 50% of their data.

in real life most fresh grads who join the public sector draw mostly 3-3.3k.

bladez87 03-08-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Currently, 25 years old.

same age as you. but i only drawing 1.9k after working in my company for 2.5years.
ok so i made a mistake in life by staying at my company. But what line and company progression was your path? Can you share a little so I can learn?

Thanks

Btw, where you guys apply jobs from? Jobsdb , jobstreet, jobscentral. where else?

Unregistered 14-08-2012 08:35 AM

would like to know about career progression of uol
cis and ism also the differences in both courses