Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 05-07-2013 09:37 AM

Another self declare "SIM" who try to put down the school by pretending to be a great guy who is disgusted with so call bad guys within SIM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39505)
Okay. I think the discussion kinda getting out of hand. Nobody intends to put down others. Its just that, some of the forumers here post ridiculously high starting salary like 7k that kind. Just to clarify, I'm an SIM grad as well. Its just that to me, a lot of prospective students will be doing their research and all to decide which school to go to. And if these people keep posting fake salaries then I'm just afraid students will be deluded and go to SIM because they think they can break into such industries. Its not impossible, but like maybe only top 1-2% of the SIM cohort?

The average SIM grad, no matter how you may want to look at it, will always earn less than the average local uni grad. This is an indisputable fact. Yes, there are high earners from SIM as well, but please, if you are one, you wont be here on this stupid forum in the first place. And those that get there are a very small amount.

I know that for me, I will have to work twice as hard and pick up other REAL, TECHNICAL skills to compete with local grads. Street smarts? Dont be stupid, everybody also got street smarts la, think you so special got first class honors in street smarts is it? joke.

Ask yourself, how did you end up in SIM? Most of us are here because we did badly. I can say around 90% of us are in this situation. I think there are two types of SIM grads/students. Those who did not do well and are realistic about it hence are trying to make up for it by pushing harder. And those who are delusional and this themselves on par with local grads who are smarter and know more things due to the fact that their workload is so much more compared to us.

As an SIM grad, I can honestly say that it is not difficult to get second upper. Work as hard as the average local grad and you can get first class. Honestly, I'm not sure what those idiots who dont get at least second lower/upper doing.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NUS grad (Post 39504)
in the first place this thread is for SIM-UOL grads to share their starting salary.

I highly suspect the discussions started cos some kaypo NUS/NTU/SMU grads came in to take a look and was shocked to find that some SIM grads have a higher starting salary than them.

dun flame me but i think it is possible, for those NUS/NTU/SMU grads who cannot make it. back when i was in JC, some of them barely make it to local unis or try whatever ways to appeal to get in. when they are inside, they continue to slack like nobody's business.

Most of us (I was from NUS) know that we are getting a starting pay that is justifiable, only those who 'cannot make it' will start to 'quarrel' and bring down SIM.

Agree with you, if the NUS/NTU/SMU grads are really that great, they will not spend the whole thread attacking SIM grads as inferior. Also got a lot of clones pretend to be enlightened SIM grads who admit that they are lousier and praise others.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 10:32 AM

I am from SIM and most of my batch are doing very well as high fliers in various industries. In terms of pay and career progression is definitely same if not slightly higher than the 3 local uni.

SIM student are more flexible and can play the office game much better and this is much more important that what degree you get.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 11:21 AM

After reading the post here, I feel personally it makes sense that local unis are paid better. It makes sense, esp for those that slog it out since young while the rest while away their time at lan shops and arcades.

Esp those SIM grads crying discrimination, if SIM grads perform better than those local uni grads is there any fairness? By slacking your time and still get paid well over those that work really hard in life? Cfm those working outside hate co-workers that "zhor bo" and talk very big but do nothing and get the credit kind. Well SIM grads seems to fall into these categories of doing nth and think they deserve to be paid the same and get the credit cos of their "Street smartness" and equality. Total bull man, SIM grads should wake up their idea and be realistic about it, not everyone can be successful, if all is millionaires and billionaires who is gonna clean up and scramble for their leftover. I agree with the lecturer, most student go SIM cos they assume they are "University" grads, half uni grads I believe. Full uni grads?? well there is still a long long way to go. At least most juz take it in their stride and do any jobs that comes by instead of dreaming of higher pay.

Issue lies with the perception that maybe the lecturer gives to the students, thus churning out such individuals. What the abv lecturer said is good, hope he/she translates the words into action by advising his/her students to be realistic and tone down their ambitions and expectations.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39516)

SIM student are more flexible and can play the office game much better and this is much more important that what degree you get.

You just summed up everything there is to know about sim grads. All talk no substance. All games no work. As an employer, I would feel pretty betrayed if my employees are paid do play games and prance around office politics instead of doing the job I paid them to do. Is that all sim grads have? Some arbitrary unquantifiable skill called 'office politics' and street smarts?

Unregistered 05-07-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39521)
You just summed up everything there is to know about sim grads. All talk no substance. All games no work. As an employer, I would feel pretty betrayed if my employees are paid do play games and prance around office politics instead of doing the job I paid them to do. Is that all sim grads have? Some arbitrary unquantifiable skill called 'office politics' and street smarts?

another bookworm who actually believe more work = more promotion / increment

time to wake up, no wonder the pte uni / poly grads are winning

Unregistered 05-07-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39522)

It's sometimes due to luck.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 12:51 PM

As a SIM grad myself, I can't help but agree that based on what I read here, there are certainly some people who are delusional to the fact that local uni grads ON AVERAGE, are better paid than SIM/pte uni grads for a start. stop talking about how tough the UOL papers are or how SIM/pte uni grads can get into IB. u urself know where we stand. face up to reality, we just need to work doubly hard to prove our credentials.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 06:25 PM

i just chanced upon this post. U are the one who needs to wake up.....and grow up.

If u are representative of SIM, there is certainly a lot of catching up to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39522)

Unregistered 05-07-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39506)
You really need to be more resourceful, poly dude.

School of Science & Technology

No one is putting down anyone. The Dean, who previously taught materials science in NTU, said that although the students may not be the brightest, they are very determined and yearned for a better life for the family. He then quoted the example of a hardworking student who, unfortunately, passed on after taking his exams.

well you are quoting uniSIM and not SIM? I believe the two are different?

the former, if im not wrong, all the students have working experiences and when they graduated, they are not 'fresh grads' at all.