Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
there are many kinds of SIM grads.

some boasts of being streetsmart but thats the only thing they have. All talk no action no results.

the other type, they are not only streetsmart (thing is, they never say they are) but have the caliber and ability and they work hard to produce results.
the second types are prob those:

1) who were able to enter local unis but did not get their 'desired' course (like biz) or

2) 'woken up' and know that they are lagging behind so they work extra hard

this type i will gladly work with them and even have 'healthy competition' with. maybe even can learn something from them since they have gone thru 'lessons'. really better than those who 'All talk no action no result".

Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
may i also add that some from top aust unis are not any better too. they prob have rich parents to send them overseas!
This I agree. Those who go to Australia is most of the time cannot make it to local uni as well but parents very rich can send them there. In my opinion, if you are from an overseas uni that is not oxbridge/MIT/Caltech/Harvard that standard means you are just a rich kid. NUS already so high up there in rankings, if you go overseas it usually just means you couldnt get into the course that you want in NUS or even worse couldnt even get into NUS in the first place. Be it those who go to adelaide or queensland or sydney, NSW, Monash whatever all the same. Same as those second tier UK uni like Durham/Bristol/Sheffield/Manchester. If they didnt have money they would also be in SIM or in local uni but in a less competitive course that they dont want.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
This I agree. Those who go to Australia is most of the time cannot make it to local uni as well but parents very rich can send them there. In my opinion, if you are from an overseas uni that is not oxbridge/MIT/Caltech/Harvard that standard means you are just a rich kid. NUS already so high up there in rankings, if you go overseas it usually just means you couldnt get into the course that you want in NUS or even worse couldnt even get into NUS in the first place. Be it those who go to adelaide or queensland or sydney, NSW, Monash whatever all the same. Same as those second tier UK uni like Durham/Bristol/Sheffield/Manchester. If they didnt have money they would also be in SIM or in local uni but in a less competitive course that they dont want.
yah lor sad to say prob some ok ones are in SIM cos their families are not rich. wah lao those rich brats who go overseas and come back to brag are even worse!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Dude. Do you have something against SIM peeps or what. The matter of fact that you didn't see any of these guys in real life doesn't equate to the reality that they don't exist.

Yes, I understand that some of the SIM peeps have no head or tail regarding what they r talking about. But to bash everyone from SIM into one standard compartment is simply not right.
Bad SIMs greatly outnumber good SIMs, one has to generalise in such cases for normal conversations. Otherwise how? Every sententce include a disclaimer clause that say I recognise that a small minority are good SIMs and my comments are not meant to be applied to these good SIMs?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

To be fair not all from SIM are black sheeps lah. Its hard for poly grads to enter local unis, nowadays even 3.5 GPA might not be easy so most poly grads are in SIM. Heck even top aussie unis accept poly grads with 2.5 GPA!

i had 3.8 GPA and its not even auto entry to NTU, had to go to interview before I got accepted.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not True, the tope 2 UNIs in Australia (NAU and UMel) are either on par or higher ranked than NUS.

Based on times higher University rankings. This is the same ranking system which NUS uses.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not True, the tope 2 UNIs in Australia (NAU and UMel) are either on par or higher ranked than NUS.

Based on times higher University rankings. This is the same ranking system which NUS uses.
i know of someone from poly who got into Uni of Melbourne Biz with just 3.0 GPA.

another dude from jc did badly for A level (got D,E,E) but his rich family sent him to Monash to do foundation programme (something like pre-university) and after completing, he was able to gain entry into year 2 of Monash's biz programme.

thats why sometimes i see those with better results in SIM more up than them.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Bad SIMs greatly outnumber good SIMs, one has to generalise in such cases for normal conversations. Otherwise how? Every sententce include a disclaimer clause that say I recognise that a small minority are good SIMs and my comments are not meant to be applied to these good SIMs?
How was your past experience with them? How many have you met? How do you base your judgement. Tell us more about it.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

indeed, and the Manchester MBA is ranked higher than NTU and NUS MBAs.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
How was your past experience with them? How many have you met? How do you base your judgement. Tell us more about it.
Generally as a group SIMs are inferior to the proper local university graduates in terms of articulation, written correspondence, general knowledge and attitude. Most SIMs seem to be aware of this poor perception of them and try to thump their noses by potraying themselves as streetsmart and often rationalise questionable work attitude.

Never count, but throughout my recruitment days probably have met 200-300 SIMs I guess. My estimate is about 15%-20% are late bloomers who just happen to do poorly in school in their early days and can take on the competiton with better grads and even outperform them career wise. The rest mostly have sub-par careers compared to other degree grads and like to lament and attribute such poor career performance to the world being unfair and look down on SIM.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app