Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 28-01-2016 09:51 PM

you SIM clowns want to know why you lot are so despised? Because of alumni of yours like the one here that blatantly put out 'LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS' on their linkedin when they are clearly in

S I M.

Yea LSE working in a 'hedge fund' aka CITCO aka SIM-UOL dumping ground. At least some clowns reference SIM in brackets or some sort of indication that it is a distance learning program. But this proud alumni of yours… I'm speechless

Jokes :)

s://.linkedin.com/in/nick-jin-wei-peh-80242059?authType=name&authToken=_cyI&trk=prof-sb-browse_map-photo

Unregistered 28-01-2016 10:03 PM

He's a loser and a fraud.

But so many people are like him. Why so pathetic?

Unregistered 28-01-2016 11:15 PM

Come on la. There are bad apples everywhere. Yes, there are idiots that blatantly put LSE in their linkedin, facebook and even on their resume. But not all of us are bad. There are some of us who are sincerely working hard with much lower pay than local uni grads. Yeah, we might not be as smart, I accept. But you shouldnt just brush all of us as liars. Not all of us are like that.

Unregistered 28-01-2016 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78908)
Come on la. There are bad apples everywhere. Yes, there are idiots that blatantly put LSE in their linkedin, facebook and even on their resume. But not all of us are bad. There are some of us who are sincerely working hard with much lower pay than local uni grads. Yeah, we might not be as smart, I accept. But you shouldnt just brush all of us as liars. Not all of us are like that.

Hey there. yea of course not generalising everyone here. just a few spoilt apples that really really irks the rest of us. It gets worse when they get all pissed and start going so and so did better then you local grads. Thats just downright f**king annoying.

But good luck to you and keep working hard. Good night to you :)

Unregistered 29-01-2016 08:27 AM

I'm a lawyer from a local university, first class Honours, just started work a year ago earning a starting salary of 7.5k. Most of my peers who managed to secure a job as a lawyer had starting salaries in the range of 5k. The catch is that many grads (even local Uni grads) are unable to secure a training contract to become a lawyer, especially those with second lowers.

I've also met someone (in an administrative job) who studied law in a private Uni and who puts "LLB (London)" when he signs off in his emails. Obviously, private Uni law students are not allowed to become Lawyers, but many still try to portray themselves as Lawyers. I wouldn't say that this is a private Uni or SIM thing, but it is a HUMAN thing. Humans like to seek affirmation from other people, I find myself doing it very often too. Whether you are a local grad or private grad it's the same. But of course, one should not deliberately mislead e.g by overstating your qualifications, grades, awards etc

Unregistered 29-01-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78914)
I'm a lawyer from a local university, first class Honours, just started work a year ago earning a starting salary of 7.5k. Most of my peers who managed to secure a job as a lawyer had starting salaries in the range of 5k. The catch is that many grads (even local Uni grads) are unable to secure a training contract to become a lawyer, especially those with second lowers.

I've also met someone (in an administrative job) who studied law in a private Uni and who puts "LLB (London)" when he signs off in his emails. Obviously, private Uni law students are not allowed to become Lawyers, but many still try to portray themselves as Lawyers. I wouldn't say that this is a private Uni or SIM thing, but it is a HUMAN thing. Humans like to seek affirmation from other people, I find myself doing it very often too. Whether you are a local grad or private grad it's the same. But of course, one should not deliberately mislead e.g by overstating your qualifications, grades, awards etc

I don't see how your entire first paragraph about your salary links to your point in your second paragraph.

Unregistered 29-01-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78932)
I don't see how your entire first paragraph about your salary links to your point in your second paragraph.

oops. A lawyer in his dream.

Unregistered 29-01-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78902)
you SIM clowns want to know why you lot are so despised? Because of alumni of yours like the one here that blatantly put out 'LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS' on their linkedin when they are clearly in

S I M.

Yea LSE working in a 'hedge fund' aka CITCO aka SIM-UOL dumping ground. At least some clowns reference SIM in brackets or some sort of indication that it is a distance learning program. But this proud alumni of yours… I'm speechless

s://.linkedin.com/in/nick-jin-wei-peh-80242059?authType=name&authToken=_cyI&trk=prof-sb-browse_map-photo

Don't get so worked up lah. Any experienced HR or even someone who work long enough can smell this BS a mile away.

To use your eg on this Nick Jin guy, he might have fraudulently put down his academics as LSE, but to people who really matter his CV is a joke and instant giveaway.

There is no way a real LSE grad is going to end up doing clerical work in some never heard before electronics component company or an operations exec in an outsourcing firm like Citco.

The only people he's gonna con are some ignorant relatives or maybe the gf. Maybe he can get some fake ego boost, but by and large the reputation of LSE is not damaged in anyway as the people who matter in the professional field just laugh at this kind childish antics.

Unregistered 29-01-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78935)
Don't get so worked up lah. Any experienced HR or even someone who work long enough can smell this BS a mile away.

To use your eg on this Nick Jin guy, he might have fraudulently put down his academics as LSE, but to people who really matter his CV is a joke and instant giveaway.

There is no way a real LSE grad is going to end up doing clerical work in some never heard before electronics component company or an operations exec in an outsourcing firm like Citco.

The only people he's gonna con are some ignorant relatives or maybe the gf. Maybe he can get some fake ego boost, but by and large the reputation of LSE is not damaged in anyway as the people who matter in the professional field just laugh at this kind childish antics.

sometimes i wonder what ppl like him are trying to achieve? so lets say he manage to bluff through 1st round of cv screening at a hedge fund, then what? show them his 3k payslip with citco? then explain how his 3k admin job is relevant to designing algo modelling for hedge fund?

Unregistered 29-01-2016 12:56 PM

So unwise for anyone to misled! Just check their poly or A-level results should tell the whole story.

Unregistered 29-01-2016 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78943)
So unwise for anyone to misled! Just check their poly or A-level results should tell the whole story.

It's very rare for companies to verify poly or A-level results. But I believe they will check transcripts. Then jokers like these will be exposed.

I mean, seriously, when he goes to the interview.. can he honestly say he has been studying in London?

Unregistered 29-01-2016 04:03 PM

Quote:

S I M.

ROFL this Nick also sbei suay. So many SIM-UOL grads out there use the same lie but he kana single out here and maybe his colleague also reading and gossiping now. Btw according to his profile he is an expert on hedge funds & fund of funds, not bad for a guy who does warehouse stocktaking and process bills after leaving school!

Unregistered 29-01-2016 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78945)
It's very rare for companies to verify poly or A-level results. But I believe they will check transcripts. Then jokers like these will be exposed.

I mean, seriously, when he goes to the interview.. can he honestly say he has been studying in London?

I know how you feel man. Cheating and misrepresenting are all around Singapore and the world. Really, if you want to stay honest, only do it for yourself. Though it might result in a few more k a month, it is what you value. Sounds stupid to stay honest but it's your choice.

My case. I made it quite well in the investment industry. I won't state my qualifications and salary like that previous lawyer poster. I had a friend, who cheated in exams, copied solutions from the internet and paid graduate students to write his thesis. He graduate 1st class honors.

About half a year ago he lost his job due to an error on his part. He is now unemployed.

I'm not saying that all will be exposed. But sometimes people do find you out.

Unregistered 29-01-2016 04:16 PM

Quote:

S I M.

You know what's the funniest part. LSE is NOT an actual Global SIM partner. The program is under UOL where the academic direction "is provided by Goldsmith's and London School of Economics and Political Science".

Directly from the website: ://.simge.edu.sg/gePortalWeb/appmanager/web/default?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pgPartnerUniversitie sDetail&fid=Discover_Universities&contentID=SIM000 679&countryName=UK#UK

So it's either Mr Nick Peh did graduate from LSE or he took a program (UOL) directed by another program (LSE).

Unregistered 29-01-2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78948)
ROFL this Nick also sbei suay. So many SIM-UOL grads out there use the same lie but he kana single out here and maybe his colleague also reading and gossiping now. Btw according to his profile he is an expert on hedge funds & fund of funds, not bad for a guy who does warehouse stocktaking and process bills after leaving school!

no sympathies. not only falsely put his alumni, even got the cheek to include the LSE logo prominently in his resume somemore… shameless

Unregistered 29-01-2016 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78952)
no sympathies. not only falsely put his alumni, even got the cheek to include the LSE logo prominently in his resume somemore… shameless

It's a UOL program directed by LSE. From the website: "Academic direction of programmes offered at SIM GE is provided by Goldsmiths and the London School of Economics and Political Science."

I went to their list of partner universities - ://.simge.edu.sg/gePortalWeb/appmanager/web/default?_nfpb=true&_st=&_pageLabel=pgPartnerUniver sities&fid=Discover_Universities

Can't find LSE. Maybe we should give Mr Peh the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he did went to London.

Unregistered 29-01-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78950)
You know what's the funniest part. LSE is NOT an actual Global SIM partner. The program is under UOL where the academic direction "is provided by Goldsmith's and London School of Economics and Political Science".

Directly from the website: ://.simge.edu.sg/gePortalWeb/appmanager/web/default?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pgPartnerUniversitie sDetail&fid=Discover_Universities&contentID=SIM000 679&countryName=UK#UK

So it's either Mr Nick Peh did graduate from LSE or he took a program (UOL) directed by another program (LSE).

honestly whats ur prob here? u ve been repeating the same spill for months in this thread. yea this Nick Peh is probably some loser with a small paycheck and a big ego. but is there a need to keep repeating the same pts again & again every few weeks?

Unregistered 29-01-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78955)
honestly whats ur prob here? u ve been repeating the same spill for months in this thread. yea this Nick Peh is probably some loser with a small paycheck and a big ego. but is there a need to keep repeating the same pts again & again every few weeks?

I got to know of Mr Nick Peh an hour ago. Okay, I'll stop.

Unregistered 29-01-2016 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78954)
It's a UOL program directed by LSE. From the website: "Academic direction of programmes offered at SIM GE is provided by Goldsmiths and the London School of Economics and Political Science."

I went to their list of partner universities - ://.simge.edu.sg/gePortalWeb/appmanager/web/default?_nfpb=true&_st=&_pageLabel=pgPartnerUniver sities&fid=Discover_Universities

Can't find LSE. Maybe we should give Mr Peh the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he did went to London.

If Nick Peh really went to London to study for 4 years till 2011 and 5 years of working still stuck as ops analyst in Citco then he might as well go Bedok Reservoir jump.

Unregistered 29-01-2016 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78957)

If Nick Peh really went to London to study for 4 years till 2011 and 5 years of working still stuck as ops analyst in Citco then he might as well go Bedok Reservoir jump.

Cannot be. LSE has a very stringent admission criteria. No way a NYP IT diploma grad can just apply and get in even if he comes from a rich family.

Unregistered 29-01-2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78961)
Cannot be. LSE has a very stringent admission criteria. No way a NYP IT diploma grad can just apply and get in even if he comes from a rich family.

I won't be surprise. To my knowledge, there are kids like that. Rich family so don't need to work. Get job just to do something. I know someone similar. Major in something like Asian Studies and works in broadcasting. At the rate he is going on holidays and splurging, as seen on FB, I doubt he's relying solely on his 3k a month salary.

Yeah, sometimes I look at their FB with jealousy. Let's say, for example, I make 6k a month. Strive to do well, work 3 more hours a day, push myself. I still earn the same as him. Mine is 6k a month from my boss. His is 3k from his boss and 3k top up from parents.

Unregistered 29-01-2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78964)
I won't be surprise. To my knowledge, there are kids like that. Rich family so don't need to work. Get job just to do something. I know someone similar. Major in something like Asian Studies and works in broadcasting. At the rate he is going on holidays and splurging, as seen on FB, I doubt he's relying solely on his 3k a month salary.

Yeah, sometimes I look at their FB with jealousy. Let's say, for example, I make 6k a month. Strive to do well, work 3 more hours a day, push myself. I still earn the same as him. Mine is 6k a month from my boss. His is 3k from his boss and 3k top up from parents.

This has nothing to do with rich kid or not. The world has no shortage of rich kids willing to splurge to buy a prestigious university certificate.

But top universities like LSE do have minimal standards even if you can afford the fees. Being rich helps to get in for sure, but I can't imagine how LSE will admit a polytechnic IT grad even if his dad is willing to pay.

Also rich kids work for fun, they tend to choose jobs which are fun. They don't go into a shiit hole like Citco working long hours doing repetitive boring transactional and customer service work.

Unregistered 29-01-2016 10:21 PM

Quote:

this clown is a good negative learning example of how NOT to write your cv. want to exaggerate also must have limit, cannot up to a point to become totally unbelievable.

Unregistered 29-01-2016 10:23 PM

Well at least he tempered his exaggeration by listing the cr***y C from a poly and 2nd lower from SIM.

Unregistered 29-01-2016 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78976)
Well at least he tempered his exaggeration by listing the cr***y C from a poly and 2nd lower from SIM.

he probably doesnt even know what lse means. maybe to him it just sounds more sexxy than simply putting sim. if he had known he will remove the poly diploma from the cv.

Unregistered 03-02-2016 02:16 PM

geez.. there is no bach of science in LSE.

how i know? im a rich kid from LSE.

rich kids dont end up in ops. most of us get carried in on a chair to a FO client facing role.

why? because when i say im xx son, they will bank with me.

Unregistered 03-02-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

i met nick few times before and exchange a few words in citco. we were in different teams - he struck me as a guy who just go through motion everyday and content to go along w/o sticking out. maybe a bit yaya papaya sometimes, but otherwise maybe its just a honest mistake. i never hear him telling others he is from prestigious uni or lse in real life.

Unregistered 03-02-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79242)
geez.. there is no bach of science in LSE.

how i know? im a rich kid from LSE.

rich kids dont end up in ops. most of us get carried in on a chair to a FO client facing role.

why? because when i say im xx son, they will bank with me.

When you want to go to the club and splurge to attract the chio bu's, does your Dad allow you to spend a few thousands on his credit card?

Unregistered 03-02-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79244)
i met nick few times before and exchange a few words in citco. we were in different teams - he struck me as a guy who just go through motion everyday and content to go along w/o sticking out. maybe a bit yaya papaya sometimes, but otherwise maybe its just a honest mistake. i never hear him telling others he is from prestigious uni or lse in real life.

Maybe you should ask him what uni he's from lol.

Unregistered 05-02-2016 05:18 PM

.linkedin.com/in/landa-ho-a60a2356?authType=name&authToken=7sBj&trk=prof-sb-browse_map-photo

Unregistered 05-02-2016 09:06 PM

Not that bad, still got a pretty face to make up for the bluff..

Unregistered 06-02-2016 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79379)
.linkedin.com/in/landa-ho-a60a2356?authType=name&authToken=7sBj&trk=prof-sb-browse_map-photo

Never understood what people like her are thinking. Do they really think anyone is gonna believe they graduated from an elite school like LSE only to job hop like mad (6 jobs in 5 years!) and its all entry level executive or admin kind of roles without any progression?

And the current job just takes the cake - "investment support" for a small fund outfit! That's all she has achieved after 5 years of rapid job hopping. So much for LSE. No wonder some of the real LSE alumnis are fuming mad with the impostors.

Unregistered 06-02-2016 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79379)

Seriously. Some people are so damn shameless.

Unregistered 06-02-2016 10:08 AM

Exactly it's not even university of London but LSE?!

Unregistered 06-02-2016 11:13 AM

What a shameless slut lol. Probably slept through her way to get that role in 'private equity and Venture capital' startup. And you has the guts to label her profession in that field.

Unregistered 06-02-2016 11:14 AM

She has* obvious error

Unregistered 06-02-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79414)
What a shameless slut lol. Probably slept through her way to get that role in 'private equity and Venture capital' startup. And you has the guts to label her profession in that field.

does it matter? ba ng first talk later :)

Unregistered 06-02-2016 12:43 PM

Quote:

plz lah, who will sleep ard just to do corporate admin in some small never heard before co. if she really can sleep ard where got so many years still nvr move up ladder.

Unregistered 06-02-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

That's not necessary. She might have padded her CV, but there's no need to make unjustified attacks.

Unregistered 06-02-2016 01:12 PM

Folks she is just doing a support/backoffice job in a small startup, you guys make it sound like she is one of those rainmakers in the private equity and hedge fund world.

There is no need to make ugly accusations on how she slept her way up since she has no real achievement to speak of in the first place.