Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 04-06-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38080)
Did you study harder after you enter UoL? Or did you just scrape through to 2:1?

As trashy the UOL degree can be, there is no one who scrape through and get 2.1, yes it is trash, but it is not as easy. Of course I studied harder, but It was clear in mind that that was all I could do.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37815)
same here, fresh uol grad in the working world, it is ****. the hierarchy is like this, local uni grads despise uol grads with honors, uol grads with hons despise uol grads who fail 2 and just scrap through, then the uol grads with no hons despise mdis because dont need to study can get 2nd upper (university of bradford and others), then mdis look down on...ok diploma holders. basically all the pte university students are treated as secondary stock in pte sector, and treated as trash in government sector. government sector just scan through and see uol on our resumes they quickly fling it away like its poison 'AHHhh!!~' so existing uol students, unless you are waiting for first class honors, you will only step into the working world with 2.2-2.8(****ing lucky from young go guanyin temple pray every sunday), worst case is jobless become taxi driverman like dr bombay in Calcutta. best is some uol graduates are hoping to go into big banks standchart barclays, i tell you, you continue dreaming... they will hire you to lick their f--king shoes for $0.50 per pair. next, uol graduates who are desperate end up where? personal banking associate at DBS or UOB, sell **** lor. everyday kena f--k by relationship manager NABEI GO AND HIT YOUR TARGET!!! although the pay 2.7 your life is GG up the lorry go up the mountain and kill yourself. alot of uol grads are in BANKS holding the PBA position, and are sibei haolian. but they are basically high class insurance seller, stand outside/inside banks 'hi aunty want to take loan to buy vegetables not' accounting still not bad, surely can find accounting job. banking students take care, the outside market is ****. good luck

Ok, I don't know how true the above is. But I just wanna say that as a recent SMU graduate, my manager at Standard Chartered (middle office) is a SIM graduate, and my colleague is a SIM graduate too. I don't know what honors he got though. My dept is small, 2 SMU, 1 NUS, 1 NTU and 1 SIM, excluding the manager. The NUS lady is the assistant manager. So yeah, don't lose hope! It's harder to stand out compared to local grads for sure, but all hope is not lost.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 09:33 PM

There is nothing wrong in being a SIM graduate. Can make a good living too.

But just don't come barging into the forum and say that it is on par with LSE, NUS and NTU, as well as argue that SIM graduates ought to get equal opportunities in the civil service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38104)
Ok, I don't know how true the above is. But I just wanna say that as a recent SMU graduate, my manager at Standard Chartered (middle office) is a SIM graduate, and my colleague is a SIM graduate too. I don't know what honors he got though. My dept is small, 2 SMU, 1 NUS, 1 NTU and 1 SIM, excluding the manager. The NUS lady is the assistant manager. So yeah, don't lose hope! It's harder to stand out compared to local grads for sure, but all hope is not lost.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 10:02 PM

And they like to come up with 101 scenarios too, such as 1st class SIM grad vs 3rd class NTU grad. Or, SIM grad with a lot of proven experience vs NUS fresh grad with zero experience. Totally miss the point man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38109)

But just don't come barging into the forum and say that it is on par with LSE, NUS and NTU, as well as argue that SIM graduates ought to get equal opportunities in the civil service.

Unregistered 05-06-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38111)
And they like to come up with 101 scenarios too, such as 1st class SIM grad vs 3rd class NTU grad. Or, SIM grad with a lot of proven experience vs NUS fresh grad with zero experience. Totally miss the point man.

The funny thing is these SIM grads keep asking the same question in different ways with all sorts of ridiculous scenarios. When they don't hear what they want to hear, they get all emo and start sharing anecdotal evidence of how this blah blah SIM grad who is doing better than this other NUS/NTU/SMU grad. At the end of the day all just dun want to accept the fact that SIM degree is lower class than others.

Unregistered 05-06-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38128)
The funny thing is these SIM grads keep asking the same question in different ways with all sorts of ridiculous scenarios. When they don't hear what they want to hear, they get all emo and start sharing anecdotal evidence of how this blah blah SIM grad who is doing better than this other NUS/NTU/SMU grad. At the end of the day all just dun want to accept the fact that SIM degree is lower class than others.

And then they start blaming the government for not giving them local placings.
Start blaming their poly/jc teacher for not teaching them well.
Start blaming banks for not giving interest free loans to SIM but only to SMU/NUS/NTU.
Start blaming poly people are not given enough placings.
Start blaming ITE people cannot study in NUS directly.
Start blaming Singapore for not giving every a chance to study university (public education)

But they never accept the fact that they can't get in local uni because there are 25% of singaporean cohort who are stronger than them.

Lol, been reading this thread periodically for a few months now and I'm kind of sad of this attitude.

Unregistered 05-06-2013 11:44 AM

need a SIM support group.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38129)
And then they start blaming the government for not giving them local placings.
Start blaming their poly/jc teacher for not teaching them well.
Start blaming banks for not giving interest free loans to SIM but only to SMU/NUS/NTU.
Start blaming poly people are not given enough placings.
Start blaming ITE people cannot study in NUS directly.
Start blaming Singapore for not giving every a chance to study university (public education)

But they never accept the fact that they can't get in local uni because there are 25% of singaporean cohort who are stronger than them.

Lol, been reading this thread periodically for a few months now and I'm kind of sad of this attitude.

Unregistered 05-06-2013 01:48 PM

No doubt, the self-victimization can be quite apparent among private university grads at times, but me thinks some local grads are taking the opportunity to bash them too unfairly.

Unregistered 05-06-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38140)
No doubt, the self-victimization can be quite apparent among private university grads at times, but me thinks some local grads are taking the opportunity to bash them too unfairly.

i think so too. Who knows if these 'local U' grads entered via backdoor methods? Hahaha

Unregistered 05-06-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38109)

let's just a say a degree will just get u your first job (not talking about IB or other jobs that require stellar grades and CCAs). an SIM grad can outstrip a local grad and vice versa but the rest is up to u.