Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 07-06-2020, 11:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
SIM UOL Second upper

Applied for 10 plus jobs, only one reply offering pay of $2300. I know the economy is bad but should I accept the job first or continue searching for more?
Like the other guy mentioned it would affect your future salary negotation.

Most of my UOL friends, 2nd upper and above are drawing high 2s to low 3s, maybe you can use this as a benchmark.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I would advise you to wait it out and continue applying. Your first job salary will impact future negotiations.

However, do bear in mind that local uni 2nd upper are accepting 2.2k traineeships so...
Do also bear in mind that traineeships should be viewed as internships. The objective is to provide a chance to learn while getting a decent allowance from govt + company, which you can (hopefully) transition to full time and receive an actual offer from company. In this case, allowance is not salary, and it is dangerous to assume they are.

I also know what whoever is replying is trying really hard to paint the image of private vs local uni equality by over-emphasising on the comparison (of salary) between 'local uni 2nd upper' and private uni grads with less than ideal degree classifications in the current job market. You can see similar responses further up. No two different persons will be dull enough to make such proud comparisons between salary and allowance, not even in this forum.

So OP, just as a heads up, take his last sentence with a glimpse of his intentions and the mess in this thread so far.

Nevertheless, unless you are able to provide more information (at least your major), it is unlikely anyone can give you an honest advice because in some majors, getting 2.3k is logical given the current economy. In others, you'll only see that number if you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Do also bear in mind that traineeships should be viewed as internships. The objective is to provide a chance to learn while getting a decent allowance from govt + company, which you can (hopefully) transition to full time and receive an actual offer from company. In this case, allowance is not salary, and it is dangerous to assume they are.

I also know what whoever is replying is trying really hard to paint the image of private vs local uni equality by over-emphasising on the comparison (of salary) between 'local uni 2nd upper' and private uni grads with less than ideal degree classifications in the current job market. You can see similar responses further up. No two different persons will be dull enough to make such proud comparisons between salary and allowance, not even in this forum.

So OP, just as a heads up, take his last sentence with a glimpse of his intentions and the mess in this thread so far.

Nevertheless, unless you are able to provide more information (at least your major), it is unlikely anyone can give you an honest advice because in some majors, getting 2.3k is logical given the current economy. In others, you'll only see that number if you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
bro, why you so sensitive?

I was just providing advice about the current state of the labour market so OP may not want to wait since local uni grads would obviously prefer FT jobs over traineeships?

you think ppl as bo liao as you read all the responses before meh

Anw, paint it however you want, traineeships are essentially meant for uni graduates and not undergrads. If terming them as internships allow you to sleep better at night, ok i guess.

Nonetheless, I do agree that OP needs to supply more info. If it helps,, 2nd upper UOL w/ internship/leadership exp usually command 2.8k and up, depending how well you sell yourself. If plain vanilla resume with 2nd upper, expect 2.5-2.8.

P.S. Figures are pre-COVID

Old 08-06-2020, 12:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
bro, why you so sensitive?

I was just providing advice about the current state of the labour market so OP may not want to wait since local uni grads would obviously prefer FT jobs over traineeships?

you think ppl as bo liao as you read all the responses before meh

Anw, paint it however you want, traineeships are essentially meant for uni graduates and not undergrads. If terming them as internships allow you to sleep better at night, ok i guess.

Nonetheless, I do agree that OP needs to supply more info. If it helps,, 2nd upper UOL w/ internship/leadership exp usually command 2.8k and up, depending how well you sell yourself. If plain vanilla resume with 2nd upper, expect 2.5-2.8.

P.S. Figures are pre-COVID
So post covid will be less than "traineeship" salary?

3rd class UOL BnF here.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
So post covid will be less than "traineeship" salary?

3rd class UOL BnF here.
Wah bro, chor sia. Even pre-COVID, 3rd class BnF degree also bout 2.3k.

Imo, your best bet now is to do sales in consumer banking and work your way up maybe to private banking etc (decent $$ if you work hard)

Alternatively, u can take up contract job during this period first and hopefully based on your job performance, can bump up to 3k (either convert or lateral to another company doing the same function)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:23 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wah bro, chor sia. Even pre-COVID, 3rd class BnF degree also bout 2.3k.

Imo, your best bet now is to do sales in consumer banking and work your way up maybe to private banking etc (decent $$ if you work hard)

Alternatively, u can take up contract job during this period first and hopefully based on your job performance, can bump up to 3k (either convert or lateral to another company doing the same function)
So hard to find. Private banking, what do they do? What's the salary like??

Previously I got offered by SME. 2k,so I rejected. Then this shiat happen. Sigh...

Old 08-06-2020, 12:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
So hard to find. Private banking, what do they do? What's the salary like??

Previously I got offered by SME. 2k,so I rejected. Then this shiat happen. Sigh...
Private banking is just more atas consumer banking (HNW/UHNW clients), mostly commission but base salary pre-COVID is 3k ish.

Jy man, stay positive and continue applying! 💪🏻
Old 08-06-2020, 09:48 AM
Unregistered

Talking

Quote:

Why are we still living in your heads rent-free? We are two different people retard 😂😂

If it suits your agenda, sure! Local uni 2nd upper graduates are getting “allowance” for their degrees & MAY be transitioned to FT employees after a year.

“Dangerous to assume they (traineeship allowance) are (same) as salary”. How stupid are you? Govt only term them as traineeships to make u feel shiok shiok la. You do know that u are still a uni graduate (not just local uni) drawing 2.2k for 1 year in hopes that you will convert after?

“Objective is to learn” > Are you insecure or plain stupid? The objective is to ensure unemployment numbers are not too high so the economy (as well as the social impacts accompanying high unemployment) doesn’t get any shittier than it already is.

Every job/contract/internship/traineeship out of uni is obviously to learn la. You fresh grad you think you enter the workforce can fly ah

Humble up and stop lurking private uni forums 24/7 pls.

Getting pathetic rly 😂
Old 08-06-2020, 11:33 AM
Unregistered

If local uni are struggling to find job in this economic climate, I think it will be worse for SIM students.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
If local uni are struggling to find job in this economic climate, I think it will be worse for SIM students.
Depends on how each party adjusts their expectations and align them to those of the employer’s.

E.g hiring manager hard cap Budget = 2.7k

Applicant 1: Local uni expects 2.8k down from 3.3k
Applicant 2: SIM expects 2.4k, down from 2.8k

It’s all relative.