Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137014)
still waiting for you guys to prove leh, how long has it been. 20-30 years? look up the stats. based on cut off points, quality of students, ranking, prestige, starting salary, basically every other metric, private uni can't compete with local uni.

that is a fact. and cherry picking one smart student who got into cambridge grad isn't really a comparison when NTU and NUS produced a rhodes scholar each in 2019 and 2020, to say the least. don't want to come across as condescending but sometimes a reality check is needed.

to me, SIM is like a safety net, you get a basic degree, good for you. congratulations. but don't try and play it up as if you've achieved the world. same goes for local uni grads. you are just one out of 15,000 local uni grads every year.

peace

No one is disputing the fact that the avg local uni student is better than the avg private uni student.

What is disgusting and pathetic is that some local uni grads are so insecure that they resort to lurking pte uni forums/bashing on all things pte uni.

Again, if you want prove on success stories, do a simple search online or on LinkedIn. It is literally that simple.

No one in the right mind would put their name and link to their portfolio/resume here on a forum, even those "local uni glory hunters" who are here 24/7.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137016)
SIM students like to cherry pick the one or two "successful" graduates out of thousands and say they are as good as them. If you're really good, you wont be rejected by NUS. :)

"One or two"

"Successful"

Don't so salty leh. Living rent free bro, rent free :)

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:46 PM

Bros & sis be kind, first time posting

SIM UOL FCH
Grad 2015
2015 - 3.6 local bank
2016 - 3.8 bonus 3 mths
2018 - took a break and travelled
2019 - 4.4k starting, joined govt sector, not related to degree/work exp
2020 - 4.6k
I was lucky to find 'iron rice bowl' before covid. Was considering private sector vs govt but decided to farm and collect stable pay. Thought it will be very chill but can get hectic too, but needless to say, less stressful than private sector.
Many of my peers earn more now (5 yrs after grad) and I'm not sure if my break/travels set me back (most prob yes) but no regrets. SIM lose out to local u but sell yourself well and try to get offer 3k and higher.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137013)
sure lets talk about roi.

As a reference:

NUS/SMU Biz (Subsidized, Singapore Citizen) - 9.6k / 11.5k (per annum, for 4 years)

UOL EMFSS - Avg 32k (for 3 years)

Again, do a simple LinkedIn search. Handful of UOL fresh grads in GA/MA programmes drawing >the 75 percentile of local uni fresh grads (4.5-5k and up).

I understand, if I were a local uni grad, I would be angry too. But this is life. Doing well for As/Poly/IB doesn't equate to success people.

There are plenty of hardworking SIM-UOL / other private uni grads who ready to pounce on every opportunity available.

Be consistent, vigilant of the competition and most importantly, be humble

You forgot to add govt bursaries to local degrees.

Just to assist you with the calculations

With the enhanced bursaries, an eligible full-time undergraduate qualifying for the highest bursary tier will pay tuition fees of $2,000 a year for general degree courses, down from $4,200 based on AY2019 fees, and $150 a year for polytechnic diploma programmes, down from $550 based on AY2019 fees.

Jelly now?

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137008)
Read the posts above before you step ROI pls.

Do you even know how on par SIM-UOL fees are vis-à-vis local uni?

Can't win an argument with private uni students now want to talk about fees? At least get your facts right retard :(

Damn xia suey leh srsly.. Already embarrassing enough that private uni students are living in your heads rent free.

Go read up on government bursaries before you speak.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137013)
sure lets talk about roi.

As a reference:

NUS/SMU Biz (Subsidized, Singapore Citizen) - 9.6k / 11.5k (per annum, for 4 years)

UOL EMFSS - Avg 32k (for 3 years)

Again, do a simple LinkedIn search. Handful of UOL fresh grads in GA/MA programmes drawing >the 75 percentile of local uni fresh grads (4.5-5k and up).

I understand, if I were a local uni grad, I would be angry too. But this is life. Doing well for As/Poly/IB doesn't equate to success people.

There are plenty of hardworking SIM-UOL / other private uni grads who ready to pounce on every opportunity available.

Be consistent, vigilant of the competition and most importantly, be humble

With the enhanced bursaries, an eligible full-time undergraduate qualifying for the highest bursary tier will pay tuition fees of $2,000 a year for general degree courses, down from $4,200 based on AY2019 fees, and $150 a year for polytechnic diploma programmes, down from $550 based on AY2019 fees.

B T F O

Besides have you heard of 3 year biz degrees from ntu/nus? Prospects still trounce private deg.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137023)
Go read up on government bursaries before you speak.

Just take the L. It's getting embarrassing.

P.S. SIM programmes are eligible for numerous bursaries as well retard. Bursaries and subsidies are two different things.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137026)

P.S. SIM programmes are eligible for numerous bursaries as well retard. Bursaries and subsidies are two different things.

Getting embarrassing. For you.

Go do your ROI calculation before even trying to refute my point of Pte degrees having crappy ROI.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137026)

But then you'll have to grad from SIM.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137025)

B T F O

Besides have you heard of 3 year biz degrees from ntu/nus? Prospects still trounce private deg.

you are damn pathetic leh LOL.

Out of the 15000 local uni grads every year, how many qualify for the highest bursaries and pay $2000 / annum for their course?

"we got subsidies bro, ur course so expensive."
"talk about ROI"
"ya maybe not cheaper than UOL, but you don't know we got a lot bursaries meh"
"B T F O"

Just diam diam la, end of the day you are still a keyboard warrior who is lurking forums 24/7. Pui.