SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay - Page 23 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Unregistered

year 1 subjects are considered foundations. if u take 5 foundations modules over the 3 years course, then the best 2 will be averaged out to be considered 1 further unit, then the next best 2 will be calculated the same way. if u take 4 foundations modules, then the best 3 are averaged out to be considered 1 further unit.

1st class : either get 5 A's (out of 9) , or 4 A's + 5 other further units totalling to 595 points.
2nd upper: either get 5 B's (out of 9), or 4 B's + 5 other further units totalling to 515 points.

hope this helps.

Old 14-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Unregistered

I had the opportunity to pursue a degree in SMU/NUS. However, my family is in heavy financial difficulties and hence was unable to undergo full-time university education.

Therefore, I found a job as accounts executive for $2000 based on my Diploma qualification while taking a part-time degree with SIM instead. Upon completion of my degree at SIM my pay is about $5000.

Old 15-11-2012, 02:41 AM

icy water is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
IMO there is little room for salary negotiation for a fresh grad from a normal uni, you guys will be starting off from a blank slate, what chips are there to use for bargaining with your employer?

Public Sector - Fresh grad pay fixed depending on uni & academic grades, negotiations not entertained

MNC / GLC - Fresh grad pay within a narrow range as defined by company policy on each position, HR will not make exceptions just because your Excel skills are good or you had a good reference from your last part time job

SME - No holds barred fend for yourself market. If you get lowballed, tell them to get lost & walk out if you can afford to wait, if not LLST & accept to get some experience.
Quote for truth. At the infant stage of your career, you should be more worried about clinching the position as competition can be rather fierce with NUS/NTU/SMU grads.

1. Internship. Companies want people with experience. Even a 6 month intern who is able to show his competency in the job functions required by the company is possible to be seem as on par with a first class no experience grad. Key is to highlight the achievements during the internship.

2. Outspoken personality with CCA experience will certainly be advantageous.

3. Knowing about the company and not just industry in general. For instance, reading the annual report if you are applying for a finance related position will show your interest and that you have done your "homework". Knowing the recent news about the company like upcoming projects or products or acquisitions etc.

4. Image. People still judge books by their cover. Wait until you are an interviewer before disagreeing.

Old 15-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Unregistered

from SIM portal:

Quote:
Welcome to Ask the Career Coach Sharing Platform

Q1. I am a fresh graduate from University of London with a degree in Accounting and Finance (First Class Honours) with no related working experience. I have been searching for a job since end August and recently a small audit firm made me an offer with monthly salary of $2000 and a requirement to serve a one year bond. Should I accept this offer? My concern is that, I was informed by a contact in the Human Resource Division of another bigger mid-tier audit firm that I surely have a good chance to be shortlisted in coming December 2012 intake. So, should I just accept the small audit firm’s offer or wait for the upcoming interview in December?
07/11/2012

How reliable is your contact in the Human Resource Division of ‘another bigger mid-tier audit firm’? How high-up is he in the decision making process and hierarchy to influence your selection? What if it turns out that you are not short-listed? Can your contact offer you an alternative job if you not short-listed?
As a fresh graduate, should your goal not be to chalk up some experience? The present job offer essentially is giving you an assurance of a job for at least one year. With the other mid-tier audit firm, you have nothing. You can only hope. December 2012 is also a time when those people seeking a change in job will also be applying for jobs. These are individuals with some experience who may have joined their present employers in 2012 or 2011 but disappointed and want to move to ‘fresh pastures’. Then there are those who have finished their bonds with the small firms and want to move to bigger firms – mid-tier firms. In short, despite assurance by your contact, you will still be competing not just with ‘newbies’ (like yourself) but also those with a few months to about a year plus of experience.
Put simply, if you want to be ‘greedy’, you run the risk of going hungry! Have you heard of the English proverb, ‘A bird in hand is worth two in the bush’? What you have in hand is a job offer worth $24,000 annually at least ($2,000 per month and a one year bond). For the mid-tier audit firm, you have nothing and your contact is not underwriting your loss in the event you do not get the job with a mid-tier firm. For someone with a First Class Honours from University of London in Finance & Accounting, this should not be a very difficult decision.

Career Coach, Dr Kamal Kant

Disclaimer
Advice and suggestions in this column are not meant as a substitute for comprehensive professional advice.
Information/answers posted on the Members' Hub are solely opinions from the Career Coach and do not necessarily represent those of SIM.
Old 25-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Unregistered

Smile Should I take up a degree?

Hi All

I only graduated with a local Diploma in Banking in 2011 with a GPA of 3.5, Work as insurance advisor with one of the major life insurance company here. I got about $18.5k for my first eight month (including a special allowance of 1.5k every month upon the sales target hit every month from my third month with the company. this special allowance is to help the new agent in the first year)

In 2012, i cleared the 12 months allowance scheme by july 2012. I got about $34k in total as 31st november is the end of our financial year. I'm 22 this year, the advice from my sales mentor and my manager is to postpone my degree until i'm more established in my career. yet seeing all my peers are doing a degree, there is time i doubt if i should take up a degree first before joining this line. Most of my clients are those i acquired from street surveys, roadshows and my parents are upset that i have to work by the streets to acquire prospect for insurance sales.

they keep encouraging me to go for a degree and even offer to sponsor my degree fees.
should i pursue this part time degree?is it worth pursuing?it is not possible to do well for both 2 things? i do not want just a pass for my degree yet giving up the insurance career would make me feel wasted for my past 20 months effort.

any senior here have suggestions for me?
Old 25-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Unregistered

you should take a degree since your 2 years spend in insurance is like so-so, if next time you find the pay stagnating in insurance at least a degree lets you join companies at executive level.

as for part time degree, advise is just take full time. most part time degree are crap and employers know that so are very bias against them

Old 28-11-2012, 05:38 PM

Jolo is on a distinguished road

I graduated from SIM-UOL AnF 2nd upper in year 2010..

My first job was in a local accounting firm with a starting miserable pay of 1.8k.

I left that company 1 year later with a pay of $2240.

After that, I managed to find an accounting job in a small foreign bank with a pay of 2.8k.

Right now i am already 1 year with the bank.. waiting for April 2013 to see how much bonus and increment i will get before making a decision whether to look for a new job.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Unregistered

Is SIM UOL degree now consider by government as the same like NUS?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is SIM UOL degree now consider by government as the same like NUS?
Lol. No, for sure. UniSIM degree (honours) will most probably get the same pay as NUS degree (honours), since it is announced to be the fifth/sixth national university. But Global SIM- UOL is still considered as private overseas degree. Recognition is different.

* Note that for UniSIM degree, this is only applicable for government jobs. Private sectors still do not really recognise UniSIM degree. Global SIM- UOL degree still have the edge over UniSIM degree, for now.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Unregistered

may as well say all Proton cars can now be rebadged as Lotus ever since they bought them over.

If you have ah kow ah meow students with mediocre grades going into uniSIM obviously the recognition will still be down the drain.