Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 24-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,

I am a final year UOL Econs & Finance student ( on track to a first class honors ,or at least a 2nd upper). I am converting to PT studies due to financial constraints.

I was thinking of taking up a contractual job for about (1yr) in banks doing ops/admin. Will the experience in bank admin help me in searching for a better job / higher starting pay say 2.8ish in the banking industry when i graduate?

I've been applying for many banking ops / jr position in risk management dept but none of them replied me though i've gotten a few offers for doing admin in banks. As of now, i hold a diploma and no banking experience at all.

Should i just take up the admin position in banks for the time being?
Get a study loan or loan from friends/relatives/parents and finish your degree as a full-timer asap.
1. Studying part-time while working a new job will probably bring down your grades and you will also graduate later.
2. Employers don't like seeing part-time degrees
3. Employers don't consider work experience before your degree as relevant

Old 24-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Get a study loan or loan from friends/relatives/parents and finish your degree as a full-timer asap.
1. Studying part-time while working a new job will probably bring down your grades and you will also graduate later.
2. Employers don't like seeing part-time degrees
3. Employers don't consider work experience before your degree as relevant
Hey there,

with regards to point 2 , why would employers not like seeing part time degrees? As far as I remember , the transcript or degree itself does not state you are studying part time. In fact there is no such thing as a Part time UOL degree. I believe the original poster is studying at somewhere at SIM or kaplan, for those places only act like a "tuition centre" and he merely changed the mode of study to part time with those institutions.
Since TS mentioned that he is already on track to a 2nd uppers - first class, I'm pretty sure he is confident in getting those grades hence, the transition to part time studies.

I could understand where TS is coming from, I've got a few friends from SIM-UOL who converted to part time studies and got a contractual job in banks and MNC doing support / ops role. Some of them graduated with a first class , some with a 2nd upper, and they managed to secure a 2.6~3.2 ( 1 of them was offered a perm position as analyst in the risk mgt dept of a bank ) paying jobs.
I've been working for at least 4 years , my company , a major shipping firm do favour candidates who did part time studies and working full time and still managed to get decent grades albeit the job experience might be irrelevant ( of course we're talking about positions that are open for fresh grads)

As for point 3), I can't really comment much about it as it really depends what kind of position / industry you're heading to. If we're talking about banking industry, you'll probably need connections / strings pulling. If we're talking about entry position for fresh grads with NO experience at all but just some intern, you might stand a better chance against them.

At the end of the day, its all about networking and knowing the right people. Everyone has to start off somewhere.

Old 19-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny View Post
Dude are you nuts? You studied B&F and instead of going for frontline jobs that pay >$7.5k or at least backend >$4.5k you choose to go for some pathetic $2k job just because your parents pester you to grab the first job that come along?

Like that why bother to waste your time with a bank? Might as well go to public service or nomal executive job, can at least get $3k
No employer in the right mind will pay B&F 4.5k for back-end.

I got 2.7k as a contract for back-end. Should be able to get 3-3.2k upon confirmation. I think the ideal is to quote 2.6k for back-end. If you're doing Marketing (i.e. frontline, quote more >3k for a freshie like you).

Good luck!

Old 23-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Unregistered

Default How to get into Backend?

Hi,

Can anyone advice how to get into Back or Middle Office?
Can't find any positions for Fresh Graduates on the Bank website.

Thanks
Old 25-09-2012, 02:27 PM
jaded

Hi,

I tried to search for a back end job (excluding customer service/call centre) as well in a bank for 3 months or so. I've tried online job portals, referrals, bank website itself and agencies. Got a decent/good honours for my UOL BnF but received no calls for interview. It's so discouraging that I feel that my degree is kind of useless, and that employers (banks) are just filtering off SIM students like a lower/junk tranch of a Collateral Debt Obligation. At least from what I know, I see friends from UOL AnF getting hired more than BnF (assuming no relevant experiences). Well, perhaps 'the times are tough' and that they are stringent even for Local Uni students, but lets give the benefit of doubt here.

Will administrative temp experience in a bank aid in landing a job such as Operations/Treasury in the future? Otherwise, I'm just curious, for example, that if landing a Operations job require 1-2 years of relevant Operations experience (preferred), where does that first experience come from? IMO, kind of paradoxical.

Thanks!
Old 26-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Unregistered

Default Back Office Job

I don't think so.
Last month i was contacted by Kelly Services to do a Temp Admin Job for Stanchard.
End up it's a Manual Labor Job.
Have to wear formal and everyday flip their documents from morning to night to remove G8 to prepare for their audit.
Lousy saikang job.
I immediately gave my one week notice.

So you see temp job in banks are nothing but saikang.
And now so many back office jobs moving to ABNN land.

I pretty much gave up a career in back or mid office.

Old 26-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaded View Post
Will administrative temp experience in a bank aid in landing a job such as Operations/Treasury in the future? Otherwise, I'm just curious, for example, that if landing a Operations job require 1-2 years of relevant Operations experience (preferred), where does that first experience come from? IMO, kind of paradoxical.

Thanks!
Temp experience won't help if that experience is not relevant to whatever perm job you want to apply for. And most temp jobs are brainless and low level, you don't learn much AND don't gain relevant experience.

If you have no exp at all, it will be very difficult, especially when UOL/SIM is considered junk.

Times are bad. BO is not a good place to start career. Look at all the outsourcing that's going on.
Old 27-09-2012, 08:54 PM
jaded

Ok thanks for the reply. So then.... what would help? I know that when we don't have any experience it'll be hard. See that's where the paradox lies, where does the first relevant experience comes from which the employers are demanding? Have to start somewhere I guess. Hmm so in short, is it that we ("junks") can forget about getting into a back end role in a bank? (since from what I inferred is that temps in banks are saikangs or uesless)
Old 28-09-2012, 10:18 PM
asdCLOT

hi all. i'm attending uol degree in bnf, en route to 2nd upper class hons. i do not wish to pursue a career in banking. i'm thinking of the govt sector preferably uniformed groups. are there any UOL grads whom has secured jobs in the civil service ?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Unregistered

hi guys. can i just check, how do you know if your grades qualify for a first or 2nd class honors?

I didn't do very well in year 1, but i heard that year 1 grades does not really compute into the calculations for honors.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!