Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 21-08-2016 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89686)
Does anyone have any linkedin evidence of a SIM fresh grad taking up FO role in Finance? I keep reading about claims here and HWZ, but nobody able to show even ONE online profile of such a case.

I am a SIM grad. I do have a friend who is in FO role in finance. But he is a Ist class honours grad in SIM and he went on to do a masters in UK. He was fortunate as the role requires a few years of experience. There are also some alumni with good results started in good companies (outside finance). There are other opportunities in other industries as well. My view is that it depends on how you present yourself as a candidate with the relevant skills and credentials. For myself, I also went on to complete a masters and am working in a global company. You can find a lot of SIM grads in banks and big 4, SMEs etc. E.g some started in small firms and went on to Big4. All these are not uncommon. But if you were to say a SIM grad to work in a FO role in IBD or in global companies of various industries, I would say its very rare but not impossible. Apparently the people I know do who really went to take on roles in global companies/roles are those who have good results and/or went to take on a masters. Otherwise you may need many years of experience to demonstrate your worth to the employers. End of the day, its depends on how companies view you as a candidate based on all the factors you present to them.

Unregistered 21-08-2016 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89691)
I am a SIM grad. I do have a friend who is in FO role in finance. But he is a Ist class honours grad in SIM and he went on to do a masters in UK. He was fortunate as the role requires a few years of experience. There are also some alumni with good results started in good companies (outside finance). There are other opportunities in other industries as well. My view is that it depends on how you present yourself as a candidate with the relevant skills and credentials. For myself, I also went on to complete a masters and am working in a global company. You can find a lot of SIM grads in banks and big 4, SMEs etc. E.g some started in small firms and went on to Big4. All these are not uncommon. But if you were to say a SIM grad to work in a FO role in IBD or in global companies of various industries, I would say its very rare but not impossible. Apparently the people I know do who really went to take on roles in global companies/roles are those who have good results and/or went to take on a masters. Otherwise you may need many years of experience to demonstrate your worth to the employers. End of the day, its depends on how companies view you as a candidate based on all the factors you present to them.

Which means a fresh SIM grad alone is not going to be enough. Plan for a masters program after that.

Unregistered 21-08-2016 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89636)
Obviously never work in finance industry before, there are quite a few private grads in the front office and quant side.

Front office is such a fluid definition. Just means the revenue generating members of an organization. Go to an outsourced compliance provider and compliance is front office.

Don't get your third tier panties tied up in a bunch over FO or not FO.

Unregistered 21-08-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89686)
Does anyone have any linkedin evidence of a SIM fresh grad taking up FO role in Finance? I keep reading about claims here and HWZ, but nobody able to show even ONE online profile of such a case.

I have a friend who is from SIM, graduated 2 years ago and joined a boutique trading firm as a trader. Not sure how much he is making, but recently just bought a CLS350 with his bonus, so I assume he should be getting at least 200-300k in bonus.

Unregistered 21-08-2016 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89695)
I have a friend who is from SIM, graduated 2 years ago and joined a boutique trading firm as a trader. Not sure how much he is making, but recently just bought a CLS350 with his bonus, so I assume he should be getting at least 200-300k in bonus.

I have no grudge against private uni folks, but I dislike all these random, anonymous, and completely unverifiable anecdotes.

LinkedIn profiles, please?

Unregistered 21-08-2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89695)

I have a friend who became a BG in SAF when he was just 31 y.o.
He then went on to become one of the big shots in civil service.

Not sure how much he is making but he should be getting at least 1-3m in bonuses.

Unregistered 21-08-2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89705)
I have no grudge against private uni folks, but I dislike all these random, anonymous, and completely unverifiable anecdotes.

LinkedIn profiles, please?

He did not upload his cv online so no link, but if you want to remain negative and refuse to believe then just too bad. Continue to stay in your bubble.

Unregistered 21-08-2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89710)
He did not upload his cv online so no link, but if you want to remain negative and refuse to believe then just too bad. Continue to stay in your bubble.

Different poster here.. but don't be a lame c*ock la.

What bubble? Are you for real?

There are zero profiles of SIM UOL kiddos in FO finance, and that's true. Why won't they put up a profile of themselves since most of you kiddios are so arrogant? But whatever la, everyone is just putting down SIM kids, you guys are so darn smart and capable blah blah blah.

Unregistered 21-08-2016 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89692)
Which means a fresh SIM grad alone is not going to be enough. Plan for a masters program after that.

I am the poster than you replied. I can't say whether will it be enough or not as everyone has different career paths. I can only say that the few SIM friends I know (around 2) who managed to get into FO or management associate program, both have masters from UK and they had 1st class honours for UOL. I have another friend who got 1st class honours from UOL going to UK to study masters (sponsored) after working for 4 years. After that he will be bonded to a role in govt sector. I can say that the above are real people that I know.

Unregistered 21-08-2016 11:20 PM

huh why so jialat, i just graduated from diploma the offer was 2800 basic. then study degree for what sio