Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 19-09-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16368)
I do not have a degree and did not regret not getting one after stopping at Poly Diploma, for I know I'm not of the material for studying. Been changing jobs a couple of times in Engineering before finally ended up working offshore on semi subs as a hydraulic technician. It's not as safe as working in the offices of big four or other companies, I have to admit. But it pays and I'm drawing US$13.5K with 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off. It allows me to pursue some personal interests during my off days, which is the thing that attracts me to this industry. And yes, they do pay during my off day if you ask, albeit a couple of thousand bucks lower for not having to face the risks of working offshore.

-what is offshore on semi subs ? What company you from if dun mind mention?

-do you mean your salary is = US$13500/month (SG$17000/month) for alternate 4weeks work 4weeks off.....(i assume is same as work 1 month, OFF 1 month)

-do you mean that even on your 4weeks OFF, you still get paid about US$9000-11000/mth(as you mention couple of thousand bucks lower).

-mean your annual salary = 6 x US$13500(WORK) + 6 x US$10000(OFF) = about SG$178000

-does your job give you bonus?

-how long do you work per day if not on OFF, how many hours?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you need to serve reservist/ICT?

If your ICT happen to on the period when you are at OFFSHORE, what will happen? Can return to SG to serve ICT if cannot defer? Can claim MUP?

Unregistered 20-09-2011 01:07 AM

Hi, I graduated recently from Accounting and Finance with a 2:1

Got a job at a local bank as a financial consultant with basic of 3k. Commission will only be paid upon hitting targets set by the bank.

While studying, I worked part-time for 1.5years as an insurance agent and was an average agent (abt 20k commission per year).

If u're willing to do sales, I think it shouldnt be a problem getting a 2.5k+ job.

Unregistered 20-09-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16319)
In Singapore, degree and diploma got big difference, but MBA and degree little difference lar. Any clown got money to spend can also get some part time private U or NUS/NTU MBA, where got value add?

If one to get Masters at least get something specialised and useful like the Engineering or Life Science or IT related majors. After that can at least move up to specialist roles.

Well, my Masters quadrupled my pay after I obtained it in a span of 2 years. Guess I am lucky, but it's how you play the game, and not how the game play you

poorman 20-09-2011 12:42 PM

Wah. now banks paying their financial consultants 3k ah.

that's super high..

Unregistered 20-09-2011 01:43 PM

My replies after yours:
- Semi submersible is an offshore vessel that is afloat on its' own. It's anchored to the seabed by anchor chains. They are used for deep sea drilling. The other type is the Jack up rigs which stands on "legs". You would have noticed these offshore rigs in Straits Times which appear frequently. Our Keppel and Sembawang Marine are 2 of the biggest producers of these rigs.

- A Norwegian drilling company. There are only a handful in Singapore so you should be able to make out.

- When offshore - US$13.5K. When back home US$11K. Tax free cos the pay is drawn overseas. No CPF though, to be precise.

- There is no annual leave in this job. When back on home leave, I stay home. No need to go to office cos I'm not an office staff and have no business to be there. During home leave, this is the time to do all the things that I must do, ICT, run errands, go for family holidays, company courses etc. When I'm offshore, I'm not allowed to return home until the 4 weeks is up unless it's very urgent, e.g. someone's passing. Also on the -ve side, you miss out half of the time seeing your kids grow up, send them to school or the PD when they fall sick. Plus side is, you get to do all these every day when on home leave.

- 12hrs per day and on shift, either 6 to 6 or 12 to 12, 7 days a week, 28 days straight out. It burns a lot of your energy at the end of your 4 weeks but it keeps one fit. Good thing about working offshore is, you don't spend a penny cos there ain't no shops on the rig. 4 meals a day are provided and the food quality is good. Usually buffet with Asian and Western.

- No 13th or varriable bonus like you guys get on shore as they paid high basic in absolute term. But due to the competition for skilled workers in this area - which not many young people are willing to enter - they pay retention bonus every quarter which vary from US$1K to 2K, to prevent you from being poached by competitors.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16372)
-what is offshore on semi subs ? What company you from if dun mind mention?

-do you mean your salary is = US$13500/month (SG$17000/month) for alternate 4weeks work 4weeks off.....(i assume is same as work 1 month, OFF 1 month)

-do you mean that even on your 4weeks OFF, you still get paid about US$9000-11000/mth(as you mention couple of thousand bucks lower).

-mean your annual salary = 6 x US$13500(WORK) + 6 x US$10000(OFF) = about SG$178000

-does your job give you bonus?

-how long do you work per day if not on OFF, how many hours?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you need to serve reservist/ICT?

If your ICT happen to on the period when you are at OFFSHORE, what will happen? Can return to SG to serve ICT if cannot defer? Can claim MUP?


Unregistered 20-09-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16395)
My replies after yours:
- Semi submersible is an offshore vessel that is afloat on its' own. It's anchored to the seabed by anchor chains. They are used for deep sea drilling. The other type is the Jack up rigs which stands on "legs". You would have noticed these offshore rigs in Straits Times which appear frequently. Our Keppel and Sembawang Marine are 2 of the biggest producers of these rigs.

- A Norwegian drilling company. There are only a handful in Singapore so you should be able to make out.

- When offshore - US$13.5K. When back home US$11K. Tax free cos the pay is drawn overseas. No CPF though, to be precise.

- There is no annual leave in this job. When back on home leave, I stay home. No need to go to office cos I'm not an office staff and have no business to be there. During home leave, this is the time to do all the things that I must do, ICT, run errands, go for family holidays, company courses etc. When I'm offshore, I'm not allowed to return home until the 4 weeks is up unless it's very urgent, e.g. someone's passing. Also on the -ve side, you miss out half of the time seeing your kids grow up, send them to school or the PD when they fall sick. Plus side is, you get to do all these every day when on home leave.

- 12hrs per day and on shift, either 6 to 6 or 12 to 12, 7 days a week, 28 days straight out. It burns a lot of your energy at the end of your 4 weeks but it keeps one fit. Good thing about working offshore is, you don't spend a penny cos there ain't no shops on the rig. 4 meals a day are provided and the food quality is good. Usually buffet with Asian and Western.

- No 13th or varriable bonus like you guys get on shore as they paid high basic in absolute term. But due to the competition for skilled workers in this area - which not many young people are willing to enter - they pay retention bonus every quarter which vary from US$1K to 2K, to prevent you from being poached by competitors.

----> Can i ask how to get into this industry? Must be from oil/gas background? Is it competitive to get in?

Unregistered 20-09-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16318)
Wow! Graduated from UOL and you get only $2k? that's demoralizing. No offense.

I'm a diploma holder. After 3.5 years in the working world, my current salary is $2k.
At present, I'm taking a part-time degree from UOL and from your $2k starting salary, I'm starting to think that I'm wasting my money and time taking higher studies @ UOL. I hope I'm not making the wrong choice.

Do you mind sharing what industry are you working in?


Hi, I just started work this week, in supply chain industry. Sad to say, my degree is a generic one (just business, no specialization) and I don't have any working experience to backup my demand for a higher pay.

Like you said, it's demoralizing. But this scenario doesn't happen to everyone; I guess luck and networking plays a huge part in your career hunt too. I'm hoping that I can get a better job in the finance industry after receiving my transcript, but I heard banks aren't recruiting much recently..

Look at the bright side bro, at least you've got working experience, I'm sure you'll be able to get a better paying job after you graduate, all the best!

Unregistered 21-09-2011 11:17 AM

Having a prior experience in O&G is a definite prerequisite. If you notice, there are not many such ads in the newspaper for positions on the rig. Normally by words or mouth by colleagues, poaching, or if you are a equipment vendor / contractor working on the rig and know someone high up, this helps in getting in. The thing is, rigs are expensive to build, maintain, operate and to hire. They need to ensure having a set of experienced crew for safety is paramount to personnel and rig. A day's downtime could cost the owner US$500k in lost charter.

To be fair, I need to sound a word of caution. This is not an industry without incidents. You probably have heard of Deepwater Horizon, West Atlas, Piper A. Work safety has bucked up a lot in recent years though due to these incidents.

Good luck in your job search.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16397)
----> Can i ask how to get into this industry? Must be from oil/gas background? Is it competitive to get in?


Unregistered 24-09-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16395)
My replies after yours:
- Semi submersible is an offshore vessel that is afloat on its' own. It's anchored to the seabed by anchor chains. They are used for deep sea drilling. The other type is the Jack up rigs which stands on "legs". You would have noticed these offshore rigs in Straits Times which appear frequently. Our Keppel and Sembawang Marine are 2 of the biggest producers of these rigs.

- A Norwegian drilling company. There are only a handful in Singapore so you should be able to make out.

- When offshore - US$13.5K. When back home US$11K. Tax free cos the pay is drawn overseas. No CPF though, to be precise.

- There is no annual leave in this job. When back on home leave, I stay home. No need to go to office cos I'm not an office staff and have no business to be there. During home leave, this is the time to do all the things that I must do, ICT, run errands, go for family holidays, company courses etc. When I'm offshore, I'm not allowed to return home until the 4 weeks is up unless it's very urgent, e.g. someone's passing. Also on the -ve side, you miss out half of the time seeing your kids grow up, send them to school or the PD when they fall sick. Plus side is, you get to do all these every day when on home leave.

- 12hrs per day and on shift, either 6 to 6 or 12 to 12, 7 days a week, 28 days straight out. It burns a lot of your energy at the end of your 4 weeks but it keeps one fit. Good thing about working offshore is, you don't spend a penny cos there ain't no shops on the rig. 4 meals a day are provided and the food quality is good. Usually buffet with Asian and Western.

- No 13th or varriable bonus like you guys get on shore as they paid high basic in absolute term. But due to the competition for skilled workers in this area - which not many young people are willing to enter - they pay retention bonus every quarter which vary from US$1K to 2K, to prevent you from being poached by competitors.

Wow!!! That's a lot.

Damn!!! I wish i work offshore immediately after my NS. Work for 2-3 years, quit then go study. I guess it's too late now.

Anyway, Stay safe bro! Good luck!

Unregistered 24-09-2011 02:11 PM

Is a monthly salary of 2550 ok for a freshie with no relevant exp ?

:)

Unregistered 24-09-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16395)
My replies after yours:
- Semi submersible is an offshore vessel that is afloat on its' own. It's anchored to the seabed by anchor chains. They are used for deep sea drilling. The other type is the Jack up rigs which stands on "legs". You would have noticed these offshore rigs in Straits Times which appear frequently. Our Keppel and Sembawang Marine are 2 of the biggest producers of these rigs.

- A Norwegian drilling company. There are only a handful in Singapore so you should be able to make out.

- When offshore - US$13.5K. When back home US$11K. Tax free cos the pay is drawn overseas. No CPF though, to be precise.

- There is no annual leave in this job. When back on home leave, I stay home. No need to go to office cos I'm not an office staff and have no business to be there. During home leave, this is the time to do all the things that I must do, ICT, run errands, go for family holidays, company courses etc. When I'm offshore, I'm not allowed to return home until the 4 weeks is up unless it's very urgent, e.g. someone's passing. Also on the -ve side, you miss out half of the time seeing your kids grow up, send them to school or the PD when they fall sick. Plus side is, you get to do all these every day when on home leave.

- 12hrs per day and on shift, either 6 to 6 or 12 to 12, 7 days a week, 28 days straight out. It burns a lot of your energy at the end of your 4 weeks but it keeps one fit. Good thing about working offshore is, you don't spend a penny cos there ain't no shops on the rig. 4 meals a day are provided and the food quality is good. Usually buffet with Asian and Western.

- No 13th or varriable bonus like you guys get on shore as they paid high basic in absolute term. But due to the competition for skilled workers in this area - which not many young people are willing to enter - they pay retention bonus every quarter which vary from US$1K to 2K, to prevent you from being poached by competitors.

what happen if your ICTs which fall on the months that you are at OFFSHORE?
If can defer, no issue.

What if cannot defer? You say that you need to work for straight 28days while in OFFSHORE. Mean you go back to SG to serve ICT then go back to OFFSHORE again??

Unregistered 25-09-2011 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16547)
what happen if your ICTs which fall on the months that you are at OFFSHORE?
If can defer, no issue.

What if cannot defer? You say that you need to work for straight 28days while in OFFSHORE. Mean you go back to SG to serve ICT then go back to OFFSHORE again??

Singapore has some of the biggest players in oil and offshore, so I guess the SAF will be understanding enough to approve the deferment requests.

Unregistered 25-09-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16546)
Is a monthly salary of 2550 ok for a freshie with no relevant exp ?

:)

IMHO, S$2550 for fresh grads w/o experience is an excellent catch. Well done!

If you don't mind sharing, what industry are you in?

Unregistered 25-09-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16563)
IMHO, S$2550 for fresh grads w/o experience is an excellent catch. Well done!

If you don't mind sharing, what industry are you in?

Thanks.
It is in semiconductor.

:)

Unregistered 26-09-2011 10:04 PM

Econs UOL grad with 2nd upper.. still cant find any jobs T_T
Poorman working as....?

poorman 27-09-2011 09:18 AM

Hi friend, I'm working in an SME doing accounts management and admin stuff.

Not planning to stay long here though, colleagues are lovely but job prospects are nil..:o

Unregistered 01-10-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16609)
Econs UOL grad with 2nd upper.. still cant find any jobs T_T
Poorman working as....?

UOL grad with 2nd upper but yet to find employment??? That's kind of worrying.
How long have you been in unemployment status???

I'm currently taking part-time UOL Acct & Finance and from your unemployment status, i'm distressed. i hope i'm not wasting my time and money taking the course. oh well...

Anyway, i hope you find employment soon with good pay and prospects.

All the best & Good Luck!!!

poorman 03-10-2011 10:47 AM

Here's a few tips to all those currently taking UOL courses especially in Finance related courses.

During your semester breaks. PLEASE GO FIND internships to take. Don't treat the 3-mth break as a holiday period. We are already losing out to local uni holders in terms of qualifications, the least you can do is find some work to put you on par.

If possible approach MNC / Banks as they are quite happy to take on internships from UOL students as their requirements are not so strict for interns.

I can guarantee you that unless you are a 1st class honours of UOL, without any prior work experience you will lose out to all the other local uni grads jostling for the same position that you are applying for.

For me my greatest regret was not starting from year 1, it was only in my 2nd year did i apply and worked for a bank as an intern and that definitely helped me to secure a few job offers.

Unregistered 03-10-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorman (Post 16859)
Here's a few tips to all those currently taking UOL courses especially in Finance related courses.

During your semester breaks. PLEASE GO FIND internships to take. Don't treat the 3-mth break as a holiday period. We are already losing out to local uni holders in terms of qualifications, the least you can do is find some work to put you on par.

If possible approach MNC / Banks as they are quite happy to take on internships from UOL students as their requirements are not so strict for interns.

I can guarantee you that unless you are a 1st class honours of UOL, without any prior work experience you will lose out to all the other local uni grads jostling for the same position that you are applying for.

For me my greatest regret was not starting from year 1, it was only in my 2nd year did i apply and worked for a bank as an intern and that definitely helped me to secure a few job offers.

Taking internship helps, but not much. Almost every undergrad from good uni is doing now, so not much value add. I think the more basic problem is people who study UOL are generally below average academically, but somehow many seem to expect that suddenly after uni they will be working at the world’s top banks. It’s more about too high expectation that lead to disappointment.

No offense to UOL grads, just stating the fact from a similar level RMIT grad here.

poorman 03-10-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16861)
Taking internship helps, but not much. Almost every undergrad from good uni is doing now, so not much value add. I think the more basic problem is people who study UOL are generally below average academically, but somehow many seem to expect that suddenly after uni they will be working at the world’s top banks. It’s more about too high expectation that lead to disappointment.

No offense to UOL grads, just stating the fact from a similar level RMIT grad here.

While I agree with you that UOL grads have unrealistic expectations about working in the world's top banks after they graduate, I don't believe they are below average academically unless you're willing to admit that based on your own benchmark, RMIT grads are also below average academically?

Majority of UOL students are either from poly or from JC whose 'A' levels did not fare well enough to gain entry. That being said, I think we all deserve a second-chance and the exams of UOL are by no means a walk in the park even though it's a DL degree. there's still substantial effort required in order to get good honours.

My point about the internships was to highlight what you've said which is almost every undergrad from good unis are doing internships, so UOL students should not be slacking as they are already academically far behind the local uni peers. Besides, it would be good exposure to mix around with the good uni students and pick up essential skills from your superiors during internships.

Unregistered 03-10-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorman (Post 16866)
While I agree with you that UOL grads have unrealistic expectations about working in the world's top banks after they graduate, I don't believe they are below average academically unless you're willing to admit that based on your own benchmark, RMIT grads are also below average academically?

While it’s not a happy thing to say, but yes, I do believe that compared to the local universities, RMIT students and graduates are indeed below them academically. Same for UOL.

Quote:

Majority of UOL students are either from poly or from JC whose 'A' levels did not fare well enough to gain entry. That being said, I think we all deserve a second-chance and the exams of UOL are by no means a walk in the park even though it's a DL degree. there's still substantial effort required in order to get good honours.
You about admit as much, generally people opt for UOL (or RMIT for that matter) due to inadequate academic scores to qualify for the 3 local uni. Sure, of course we put in effort & deserve a second chance, but that does not change the fact as a group, we are below the local grads both academically and market value wise.

Quote:

My point about the internships was to highlight what you've said which is almost every undergrad from good unis are doing internships, so UOL students should not be slacking as they are already academically far behind the local uni peers. Besides, it would be good exposure to mix around with the good uni students and pick up essential skills from your superiors during internships.
Agreed.

Unregistered 03-10-2011 09:59 PM

I used to work as a mortgage loans banker in OCBC.
Basic 2.9k with allowance up till 800.
Once you hit commission, its anywhere from 900 till 5 digits.
Its a sales job tho...

Unregistered 05-10-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16815)
UOL grad with 2nd upper but yet to find employment??? That's kind of worrying.
How long have you been in unemployment status???

I'm currently taking part-time UOL Acct & Finance and from your unemployment status, i'm distressed. i hope i'm not wasting my time and money taking the course. oh well...

Anyway, i hope you find employment soon with good pay and prospects.

All the best & Good Luck!!!


Since mid Aug till now.. I guess a fresh grad like me w/o any exp has difficulty finding a job in banking/financial industry.. Maybe I shld start off by doing contract/temp work in bank to gain hands on exp.. Afterall, work exp matters the most! ):

poorman 05-10-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16972)
Since mid Aug till now.. I guess a fresh grad like me w/o any exp has difficulty finding a job in banking/financial industry.. Maybe I shld start off by doing contract/temp work in bank to gain hands on exp.. Afterall, work exp matters the most! ):

Hmm, what's your asking salary? Also, is your resume done up properly? Try to get a few people who have been working for some time to have a look. Even better, get a HR to evaluate and see. After all, a shoddy resume reflects badly on you.

Lastly, if all else fails, Do try a sales role as I believe they are more open to fresh grads. It may not be your style but best to start somewhere and show you do not stay unemployed for too long.

Unregistered 05-10-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorman (Post 16979)
Hmm, what's your asking salary? Also, is your resume done up properly? Try to get a few people who have been working for some time to have a look. Even better, get a HR to evaluate and see. After all, a shoddy resume reflects badly on you.

Lastly, if all else fails, Do try a sales role as I believe they are more open to fresh grads. It may not be your style but best to start somewhere and show you do not stay unemployed for too long.


asking for 2.2 and above.. No replies from banks still. I've just got an offer from a company, doing accounts! hopefully nth goes wrong from here on >< anyway thanks for your advice! yeah it's true that sales/insurance roles are more open to fresh grads..

Unregistered 06-10-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16981)
asking for 2.2 and above.. No replies from banks still. I've just got an offer from a company, doing accounts! hopefully nth goes wrong from here on >< anyway thanks for your advice! yeah it's true that sales/insurance roles are more open to fresh grads..

Asking for this kind of low salary just cheapen your cv and make you look desperate. Most bank freshies are going for min $3.5k now, you really think a bank will choose you just because you cheaper by 1k?

Unregistered 06-10-2011 03:48 PM

hmm i was offered a 2.3K job as cust service exec but i turned down the offer, and its back to waiting :(

on a side note, i really hope someone would answer me :
Anyone has any idea if dbs bank hires uol grads? i've applied for a job abt 3weeks ago and i know that by 1 mth if they don't call me, means im not shortlisted. should i give up already?

Unregistered 06-10-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17000)
hmm i was offered a 2.3K job as cust service exec but i turned down the offer, and its back to waiting :(

on a side note, i really hope someone would answer me :
Anyone has any idea if dbs bank hires uol grads? i've applied for a job abt 3weeks ago and i know that by 1 mth if they don't call me, means im not shortlisted. should i give up already?

Depends. If all you have is a UOL degree and no exprience or skill set in any other thing other than being cheap at 2.2k, then 99% sure gone liao.

poorman 06-10-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16996)
Asking for this kind of low salary just cheapen your cv and make you look desperate. Most bank freshies are going for min $3.5k now, you really think a bank will choose you just because you cheaper by 1k?


Not true. Banks hiring more foreigners and you think they won't be undercutting the 'expected' salaries by 1k less? :D

Unregistered 06-10-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17003)
Depends. If all you have is a UOL degree and no exprience or skill set in any other thing other than being cheap at 2.2k, then 99% sure gone liao.

hey wth could u not link all the events together? thats not me and if i had rejected the 2.3k job why would i settle for 2.2k.

Kindly read before you answer.

Unregistered 07-10-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17010)
hey wth could u not link all the events together? thats not me and if i had rejected the 2.3k job why would i settle for 2.2k.

Kindly read before you answer.

Please lar, most of us here just to tcss, where got time to go & piece together your employment history from so many unregistered post?

Unregistered 13-10-2011 06:01 PM

how much sld we put for expected salary?
 
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate your advise on how much we sld put for our expected salary? For those with starting salary of $2.8k and above, were you being offered that amt? or that was what you stated on your expected salary?

Unregistered 14-10-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17190)
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate your advise on how much we sld put for our expected salary? For those with starting salary of $2.8k and above, were you being offered that amt? or that was what you stated on your expected salary?

Depends, if engineering job in MNC can go for $3.4k, office job $3.2k and non-banker banking & finance job $4.2k. They will usually slash $200 from what u ask

poorman 14-10-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17209)
Depends, if engineering job in MNC can go for $3.4k, office job $3.2k and non-banker banking & finance job $4.2k. They will usually slash $200 from what u ask

Hi, i think he was asking the starting pay for UOL grads.

Realistically speaking, if you try asking for that you'll never get hired.

For banking & finance job, you're more likely to get in with 2.6-2.8

SME, 2.2-2.4

MNC 2.5-2.8

Anything above 3k is only if you're local grads. otherwise, just have to start lower first..

[email protected] 20-10-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorman (Post 17214)
Hi, i think he was asking the starting pay for UOL grads.

Realistically speaking, if you try asking for that you'll never get hired.

For banking & finance job, you're more likely to get in with 2.6-2.8

SME, 2.2-2.4

MNC 2.5-2.8

Anything above 3k is only if you're local grads. otherwise, just have to start lower first..

Unfortunately he's right. I was only offered 2.2 :( 2nd lower honours from uol is somehow worse than a 3rd class from the local unis.

cherry 20-10-2011 05:46 PM

i was just offered 2.25k for an accounting position and OTs cannot be encashed but only be transfer to timeoff. Am i being underpaid or is it the standard market rate??? I am uol second lower honours. can anyone enlighten me??

fraser 21-10-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherry (Post 17404)
i was just offered 2.25k for an accounting position and OTs cannot be encashed but only be transfer to timeoff. Am i being underpaid or is it the standard market rate??? I am uol second lower honours. can anyone enlighten me??

This is a common stunt a lot of companies use. They give time-off and say cannot claim OT, but in real life what will happen is you will accumulate a lot of time off hours but never be able to find off-peak period to clear them. So all paper leave, no cash no time off.

Accounting have to close monthly, quarterly, yearly accounts, most don’t even find time to clear their annual leave.

Unregistered 24-10-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16892)
I used to work as a mortgage loans banker in OCBC.
Basic 2.9k with allowance up till 800.
Once you hit commission, its anywhere from 900 till 5 digits.
Its a sales job tho...

you "used" to work @ OCBC?
Why did you leave?

I asked because i got interview with them as a Business Development Associate next week and I'm contemplating if i should go or not.

i applied for the position and within 3 days they call me for interview.
For me, that sound fishy because if they reply so fast after i applied then it means the turnover rate is very high.

if anyone reading this is working there or have friends who is working there, pls share.

Thank you.

Pepsicola123 25-10-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17527)
you "used" to work @ OCBC?
Why did you leave?

I asked because i got interview with them as a Business Development Associate next week and I'm contemplating if i should go or not.

i applied for the position and within 3 days they call me for interview.
For me, that sound fishy because if they reply so fast after i applied then it means the turnover rate is very high.

if anyone reading this is working there or have friends who is working there, pls share.

Thank you.

Just go there and ask them whatever doubts you have lor, if suitable proceed, not good just say thank you and move on. You sound like ur some hot potato that have so many offers and cannot even spare a trip down to CBD to check out an opportunity.

When starting out, must adopt more open and positive attitude. Pick & choose is a luxury only for very good people.

Unregistered 09-11-2011 01:14 AM

hi people

just wanna check pay range for uol students....

is 2.5k acceptable for a fresh grad uol ....in an mnc....working along the lines of office backend executive support role.....?

anyone can kindly advise...


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2