Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 04-09-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 15917)
i dont think the pay for those with pte degree working in public sector would be the same as those from local uni? cos for one interview that i went, they told me that my pte degree cert would be considered a diploma cert instead? :( ....

hi. everywhere you go, if you're from local uni, you would be perceived to be better because of your qualifications; not a short cut degree. but tell you, it is not entirely true. a private degree is still a degree in the eyes of some govt bodies as long as it is recognized and you would get the same pay as what a local uni grad with a pass degree would get. of course, don't talk about those local uni grads with honours degree la.. your UOL degree is quite valuable because UOL ain't not tom dick and harry school. keep on trying for public sector jobs ya

Unregistered 04-09-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 15931)
hi. everywhere you go, if you're from local uni, you would be perceived to be better because of your qualifications; not a short cut degree. but tell you, it is not entirely true. a private degree is still a degree in the eyes of some govt bodies as long as it is recognized and you would get the same pay as what a local uni grad with a pass degree would get. of course, don't talk about those local uni grads with honours degree la.. your UOL degree is quite valuable because UOL ain't not tom dick and harry school. keep on trying for public sector jobs ya

i thought it would applies to all govt bodies so i gave up trying.. but hey thanks, this sounds very heartening :)

Unregistered 05-09-2011 02:30 PM

well at least a job. I applied to many firms and no replies at all. :(

poorman 05-09-2011 05:42 PM

Wow, really? was thinking of trying for govt sector after a year at my current coy.

If anything my main concern is if i do change jobs, my new employer might not want to pay me high because of my low starting salary.

Hope Govt Sector will be receptive to my application next year!

Unregistered 06-09-2011 12:01 PM

I got a PT degree with RMIT while working as a trading support officer in a brokerage house. Left them and joined a finance institution for ~6000 (include allowance) as research consultant last year.

It's more about your connections and experience you learn in the job. To me concepts like degree from which uni / diffrerent honours classes etc. are worthless and only people who achieve little in life will keep harping on those.

Unregistered 06-09-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorman (Post 15852)
Thanks for the encouraging replies guys.

only managed to get a 2nd class lower for honours. fell short of 2 marks for 2nd upper. then again i doubt that makes a difference to most employers!

btw, my course was Banking & Finance and almost 9/10 calls i get are for sales positions...anyone from B&F managed to get a job in a bank that's not sales related?

Oh UOL banking and finance hehehe...i graduated with that (2nd lowers too) in 2004 and had a starting pay of $1800 in operations... For non-sales position you could probably find some bank back office operations role.. The key thing is networking and moving around, after 1-2 years the degree doesn't matter anymore who you know and your job experience will be what people consider le.

Unregistered 07-09-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 15995)
Oh UOL banking and finance hehehe...i graduated with that (2nd lowers too) in 2004 and had a starting pay of $1800 in operations... For non-sales position you could probably find some bank back office operations role.. The key thing is networking and moving around, after 1-2 years the degree doesn't matter anymore who you know and your job experience will be what people consider le.

Wow!!! Your starting pay as a UOL degree holder is only $1800. That's kind of demoralizing. No offense. My diploma starting pay is $1800 in year 2007.

I hope you're earning more right now (Year 2011).

I asked because I'm currently taking part-time degree with UOL (Econs and Finance) and based from your starting pay, that's disheartening.

Hope you can share some good news.

poorman 07-09-2011 05:34 PM

Sian. got a friend managed to secure a job as auditor with big 4. 2.8k starting salary.

somemore results no honours...zzz.

Unregistered 08-09-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorman (Post 16056)
Sian. got a friend managed to secure a job as auditor with big 4. 2.8k starting salary.

somemore results no honours...zzz.

Wah your fren good la. First class honours not even called for interview.... zzzzzzzzzzz

poorman 08-09-2011 02:13 PM

hmm, try lower your expecting pay?

I was shopping around with an expectation of 2.2-2.4 and that's how i got my job.

If you have no connections, its going to be tough to get into MNC, if you want to get into private sector you have to expect that they view DL degrees as a form of advanced diploma..hence the lower pay...sucks man..