Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 11-08-2016 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89383)
Some great points made above regarding opportunities and salary expectations. People on the forum can have their own opinions on how valuable the SIM-UOL degree is - ultimately, it is the market that decides. Forcing your opinions and putting others down in this forum isn't going to change the reality you will face when looking for a job.

Better to be humble and take advice of SIM alumni who have paved the way and show that it is possible to make it with a lot of hard work (and some luck).

Does anyone know what SIM-UOL grads end up doing after graduation? I'm in my final year of SIM and would like to get into consulting. Would be great if you can let me know my chances of getting a first round interview. Any suggestions of target companies will also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chances are quite low for MBB consulting, best is to try the 2nd tier firms which still have a good chance. Starting pay is not as good as MBB, but still quite decent ~4k if you are good/lucky enough to get in.

Unregistered 15-08-2016 10:32 AM

Question

Hi,

Would like to ask opinions on the following:

relevant/interesting job with steep learning curve in an unknown small firm

vs

a back-end role job in a bank/MNC that provides branding to resume but no relevant exposure

assuming pay and other benefits are roughly the same

Unregistered 15-08-2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89493)
Hi,

Would like to ask opinions on the following:

relevant/interesting job with steep learning curve in an unknown small firm

vs

a back-end role job in a bank/MNC that provides branding to resume but no relevant exposure

assuming pay and other benefits are roughly the same

always go for brand. nobody cares about your 'steep learning' if ppl dun even know what co it is.

Unregistered 16-08-2016 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89495)
always go for brand. nobody cares about your 'steep learning' if ppl dun even know what co it is.

terrible advice. Go for opportunity to learn when young. Back end processing adds no value to you. It is as mundane a work as can be. There is no where else you can move from there

Unregistered 16-08-2016 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89513)
terrible advice. Go for opportunity to learn when young. Back end processing adds no value to you. It is as mundane a work as can be. There is no where else you can move from there

Definitely agree. Chasing brand name for the sake of it is a poor strategy. The skills you pick up, you carry with you when you change companies. 5-10 years on, the difference between people with skills and the ones without gets pretty significant. The pay differential, more often than not, will also reflect that.

Unregistered 16-08-2016 04:56 PM

Fired a SIM UOL girl yesterday. She was playing bigo while at work.

Unregistered 16-08-2016 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89398)
Chances are quite low for MBB consulting, best is to try the 2nd tier firms which still have a good chance. Starting pay is not as good as MBB, but still quite decent ~4k if you are good/lucky enough to get in.

What bs. The reality is that someone straight out of SIM UOL has no chance at any proper shop. Maybe only at the fly by night two man local boutiques as a grunt.

Unregistered 16-08-2016 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89528)
Definitely agree. Chasing brand name for the sake of it is a poor strategy. The skills you pick up, you carry with you when you change companies. 5-10 years on, the difference between people with skills and the ones without gets pretty significant. The pay differential, more often than not, will also reflect that.

In theory yes, but in real life you can have all the skills in the world from Tan Ah Khow Pte Ltd and your CV will still be thrashed by HR before you even get a chance to demonstrate. It is common to see experienced mid careers with branded MNCs downgrade to take on bigger jobs in small co., but very rare to see the other way round.

There is a good reason why most with good grades go for branded companies, only those who couldn't get in sour grapes keep harping about how a small unknown shop gives them 'holistic' (nice word for bao ga liao) experience.

Unregistered 16-08-2016 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89550)
In theory yes, but in real life you can have all the skills in the world from Tan Ah Khow Pte Ltd and your CV will still be thrashed by HR before you even get a chance to demonstrate. It is common to see experienced mid careers with branded MNCs downgrade to take on bigger jobs in small co., but very rare to see the other way round.

There is a good reason why most with good grades go for branded companies, only those who couldn't get in sour grapes keep harping about how a small unknown shop gives them 'holistic' (nice word for bao ga liao) experience.

I can't help but tend to agree with this statement. Exposure in branded MNCs is different. If a branded MNC invite you for a job interview, will you turn it down? If you got the offer, will you turn it down, knowing that it is hard to get the offer in the first place. I have the privilege to work with a global MNC. People somehow will see the brand name and the rest doesn't really matter.

Unregistered 16-08-2016 11:11 PM

Good example will be joining big4. I agree that as a small fry in a big4 you don't learn as many skills compare to joining a small local audit firm, but I know of a few manager level colleagues who went on to become partner in local firms or join big MNC at senior level.

OTOH I have never seen a small audit firm manager come to big4 as a partner. That's why many of us are willing to spend the first few years underpaid & overwork in order to broaden our options in the future.

My advice to the question on top is if you can get into mnc get into mnc, if cannot don't be discourage as there is career advancement in the SME space also.