Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 25-06-2012 12:25 PM

Salary range

May I know what is the salary range for uol (accounting and finance) at the moment? I'm current waiting for my results. What are the sectors which you guys will recommend as I'm not going to further an ACCA or ICAPS.

PaycheckSG 25-06-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24844)
Hi, I'm a SIM UOL Gruadate (Graduating 2012) in Economics & Management

I still have 3 papers to sit for but I've managed to secure myself a job in a bank with a starting pay of $2700, starting this June. The position is Branch Executive.

As of now, i don't know what honors i am going to graduate with but I am aiming to clinch a 2nd upper class, if not a 2nd lower will suffice. If I do manage to clinch a 2:1 honors, maybe I'd negotiate for a higher pay. Either way, in my interview, i wrote in my application form that my expected salary is $2500 (i'm not that picky) but I was instead offered $2700 in my contract when they accepted me for the job. So, as much as many would think it's "under-paid", I say I'm grateful enough to be given a job in such turbulent times.

My advise to all of you is on the interview. The interview will make-or-break your chance to get that job. I think I did well during the interview as I did my homework prior to coming down for the interview and planned ahead the questions that is to be asked (which they did and were impressed with my answers).

Your honors is only a bargaining tool to negotiate your starting pay. After securing the job, anything that goes beyond that, your certs don't matter anymore. So I would advise all you guys out there to not just focus on mugging, but also focus on building your character because to me that is the variable that will take you places!!

All the best my fellow SIM-UOL friends!! :)

I think Austerity totally got it right. Your qualifications opens the door for the chance of an interview. Thereafter, its who wants it more and is a better fit. Ask yourself this question: "If you are the hiring manager, do you want to hire someone every 6 months - 1 year, or someone who will stay with you to do your job?"

Project this attitude and the willingness to learn and I am sure your chances will be greatly increased.

Unfortunately, we been reading too many career articles on projecting confidence and such. Much as we like to think we are competent and intelligent, succeeding down this path will require something very "special".

Its also futile to compare salary based on arbitrary info. So focus on getting the first job and leave the salary negotiation to the next job. I always believe that if you're unhappy about the salary, the door is always open.

Unregistered - minty 26-06-2012 09:48 PM

Hi, i'm from Uol business, currently waiting for results.

May i have some advice on what kind of jobs i can apply to and pay reasonably well for grads??

my background:
-probably getting pass or 3rd class hons (worse case scenario)
-2 yrs FT admin experience in small pte coy prior to Uni
-poly diploma in biotechnology
-done temps in customer svc, retail n promoter during vacations

Unregistered 27-06-2012 12:21 AM

Sales - as long as you hit targets, the commissions and incentives will be plentiful.

Unless your admin experience had particularly exceptional achievements included, it's likely most hiring managers would consider your portfolio to be almost equivalent to a fresh grad. If you opt for non-sales related roles, a reasonable guess would be that you might secure a generalist role drawing a salary of around $2200 to $2700. Mostly this will depend on your job searching and interviewing skills, all the best.

Unregistered 02-07-2012 12:45 AM

hi guys. I have Degree in Econs at UOL. Any idea what is a good starting salary?

Unregistered 14-07-2012 06:17 PM

hi all, I'm a 3rd yr student coming next semester. May I know how long does it takes for you seniors out there to finally land on a perm job? Do you start searching mths before the May exam or after results release in Aug?

I intend to start looking b4 my final exams but what are the probabilities that coy request for the Uol cert or transcripts b4 they hire cuz I know the graduation will be held in the following april prior to final exams. Sorry I am very noob and amateur.

Unregistered 16-07-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26631)
hi all, I'm a 3rd yr student coming next semester. May I know how long does it takes for you seniors out there to finally land on a perm job? Do you start searching mths before the May exam or after results release in Aug?

I intend to start looking b4 my final exams but what are the probabilities that coy request for the Uol cert or transcripts b4 they hire cuz I know the graduation will be held in the following april prior to final exams. Sorry I am very noob and amateur.

after the release of results and completing of eCR, u can begin your job search. theres a lot to learn and its good to know about what to look for, before you start to attempt at getting interviews.

Unregistered 16-07-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26661)
after the release of results and completing of eCR, u can begin your job search. theres a lot to learn and its good to know about what to look for, before you start to attempt at getting interviews.

Thank you for the advice. :)

K Aravindhan 18-07-2012 11:44 AM

Seeking Internship at Banks in Singapore and not in SIngapore

Dear All

Im embarking on my 1st yr in BSc Banking and Finance at SIM=UOL. Can anyone enlighten me on how to get internship at banks other than through SIM channels. Any contacts or emails?

Thanks

JustAnEngineer 19-07-2012 04:42 PM

Personal Experience

Hey people. I graduated from uol degree in information systems in 2009.

These are my salary increments thus far.

2009 : $2000
2010 : $2500
2011 : $2500
2012 : $3200 (Job Hop)

I'm working in the engineering field at a private firm.

I had an internship at a public sector organization in 2008.

Personally, I believe uol degrees are worthwhile investments. :)