Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 11-02-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79625)
I believe the poster was referring generally to work life balance throughout the entire year, not only during Chinese New Year. Question is whether you are willing to work to midnight every day of the year for that salary.

That said, I believe the grass always looks greener on the other side. People at either end of the spectrum often think that the other is having a better life.

I read once in an article the most simple solution to retain talent is to pay them more money. And when I thought about it further, I can't argue against it. Especially in Singapore, more money leads to a better means in life. How true and how simple.

I encourage that poster to rethink what he said when all of the sudden two days of reunion dinners seem worth to give up ~$5k a month.

Unregistered 11-02-2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79628)
I read once in an article the most simple solution to retain talent is to pay them more money. And when I thought about it further, I can't argue against it. Especially in Singapore, more money leads to a better means in life. How true and how simple.

I encourage that poster to rethink what he said when all of the sudden two days of reunion dinners seem worth to give up ~$5k a month.

Yeah. Most Singaporeans are pretty materialistic and shallow.

Unregistered 12-02-2016 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79651)

I used to think like that. Now I think differently. I wouldn't call someone materialistic and shallow if he strives to get more money to pay mortgage, to pay medical bills, to pay parent insurance and to pay his own insurance. Heck I was talking to my fiance that day. If baby better have car so easier to get around.

Putting into Singapore context, I think a good ball park for a male is $12k a month to afford the things to make life easy for him and his family. Doesn't mean he can't survive on less than that but it means life will be easy.

Striving towards $20k then I can agree that he is looking for the bungalow, Ferrari's, night life and fame.

Unregistered 12-02-2016 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79665)
I used to think like that. Now I think differently. I wouldn't call someone materialistic and shallow if he strives to get more money to pay mortgage, to pay medical bills, to pay parent insurance and to pay his own insurance. Heck I was talking to my fiance that day. If baby better have car so easier to get around.

Putting into Singapore context, I think a good ball park for a male is $12k a month to afford the things to make life easy for him and his family. Doesn't mean he can't survive on less than that but it means life will be easy.

Striving towards $20k then I can agree that he is looking for the bungalow, Ferrari's, night life and fame.

You need more than 20k for bungalow, Ferrari, night life and fame though. More like 100k a month. It's quite a huge quantum from 12k.

Unregistered 12-02-2016 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79672)
You need more than 20k for bungalow, Ferrari, night life and fame though. More like 100k a month. It's quite a huge quantum from 12k.

Nar man.

Bungalow - $5m. $1m downpayment. $4m over 30 years = 4m / 30 / 12 = $11k.
Ferrari - $1m. $500k downpayment. $500k over 10 years = 500k / 10 / 12 = $4k.
Night life - $2k per night, Fri and Sat = $2k x 2 x 4 weekends = $16k.
Fancy Restaurant every week - $300 per meal = $300 x 4 = $1.2k.

That's $32.2k a month. Throw in another $10k a month for other daily necessities. That's $42k a month. You know what, let's round it up to $50k a month.

I got a life of bungalow, Ferrari, night life and fame for half of your $100k a month. Yippie!

Unregistered 12-02-2016 02:43 PM

I placed it at 100k because you obviously need a sufficient cushion to be able to afford the down payments off many of the stuff you want to buy.

If you think about it, 50k will put you in serious debt because you won't have sufficient savings if something hits.

Unregistered 12-02-2016 06:38 PM

Lse

s://sg.linkedin.com/in/rawcliffe-tan-36863594

Lse clementi ftw

Unregistered 12-02-2016 06:40 PM

Lse

s://sg.linkedin.com/in/mark-chua-893b3859?trk=pub-pbmap

How come operations classfied as middle office?

Unregistered 13-02-2016 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79651)

In that case, don't be a hypocrite. Just strive for a 4k salary, thats the median salary in SG.

Unregistered 13-02-2016 10:33 AM

Hi, I am graduating soon from SIM-UOL with second uppers from a bachelors in business and finance. How much can I expect as salary if I join big banks like DBS and OCBC? Or maybe international banks like JP Morgan? Thanks all.