Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 26-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I feel bad for SIM students sometimes.

A lot of times, they can only get contract jobs at banks with a measly 2.8k whereas the same role for a local grad would get paid upwards of 3.5k and above doing the same thing and staffed as a full-timer.

Told my friends that I got offered a starting salary of 4.5k and all of them dropped their jaws but such figures are commonplace in local uni.

I honestly think its a toxic cycle where SIM students get shortchanged very badly, not because of the students' capabilities but the efforts that the school's administration takes towards their graduates' entirety including career paths.
And pray tell what do you actually expect the school administration to do? Guarantee good paying jobs for everyone?

The opportunities are there for students to use. It is whether they want to use them.

Maybe SIM students are less competitive and more laid back when it comes to career planning. Somebody in this thread pointed out that most SIM students are about half to one year behind the hiring cycle as compared to the local uni students, who are already full force into the job hunt by the semester 2 of year 3. They also pad up their resumes long before that with internships and attachments.

There are opportunities to be seized and made use of. The school can only do so much. In fact, SIM students should be more on the ball in bettering their prospects since their school reputation already puts them at a disadvantage.

Old 27-01-2016, 08:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
And pray tell what do you actually expect the school administration to do? Guarantee good paying jobs for everyone?

The opportunities are there for students to use. It is whether they want to use them.

Maybe SIM students are less competitive and more laid back when it comes to career planning. Somebody in this thread pointed out that most SIM students are about half to one year behind the hiring cycle as compared to the local uni students, who are already full force into the job hunt by the semester 2 of year 3. They also pad up their resumes long before that with internships and attachments.

There are opportunities to be seized and made use of. The school can only do so much. In fact, SIM students should be more on the ball in bettering their prospects since their school reputation already puts them at a disadvantage.
Most of the local unis have a career office that help their students tackle interviews, prepare resumes and crack case studies and so on. Before you go on to say this is spoonfeeding or anything - this model is extremely popular in the top US colleges and they use it as a selling point.

Old 27-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

A lot of times, they can only get contract jobs at banks with a measly 2.8k whereas the same role for a local grad would get paid upwards of 3.5k and above doing the same thing and staffed as a full-timer.

Told my friends that I got offered a starting salary of 4.5k and all of them dropped their jaws but such figures are commonplace in local uni.

I honestly think its a toxic cycle where SIM students get shortchanged very badly, not because of the students' capabilities but the efforts that the school's administration takes towards their graduates' entirety including career paths.
First of all i am not the local uni trolls who frequently post here but pureply commenting on an objective basis.

There is some truth to this post, subtle undertones aside, not just for SIM but for a lot of pte uni grads. I have heard a few first account anecdotes from relatives and friends that many employers (especially GLCs) tend to offer pte grads a diploma holder's position with promises of progression to a full uni grad's position after a few years. Why pay $X to a diploma holder when you can get a uni grad, albeit from a pte institution, for the same price?

Old 27-01-2016, 10:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

you local grad? im from UOL and i got 6k for my first job.

banking, WM FO.
Old 27-01-2016, 10:06 AM
Unregistered

Everyone is going about speculating on things like career planning, school marketing, administration office, interview skills etc. to explain the vast difference in starting pay between private universities and the local ones.

Actually the most obvious and straight forward reason is there - generally speaking private grads are just not as good as local ones.

Think about it, why do big MNCs always hire only local grads? Is it because they are dumb and get taken in by smart marketing? They personally dislike private uni so discriminate against them? For some reason they want to incur bigger cost to hire a local grad when there is a cheaper alternative that can do the same from private uni?

These MNCs have long history, decades of experience hiring, and have seen millions of applicants all over the world. They don't do stupid things for no reason, all they care is profit and paying the least for the best. And they have assessed that it is more value added for them to offer a 4k job to a local grad then throw 2.8k to a private caliber candidate. Why is this so? Simply because NUS has a better career management office?

You can disagree with them, but that is more or less the market consensus at the end of the day. It is a far more dollars and cents rationale decision from extensive business experience companies have rather than just bias or blinded by slick marketing or interview tactics as some here seem to be implying.
Old 27-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

banking, WM FO.
Some redundant sales loser, lmfao!

Old 27-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

banking, WM FO.
friend, nobody calls wealth mgmt front office. stop saying that, people think u're retarded.
Old 27-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Most of the local unis have a career office that help their students tackle interviews, prepare resumes and crack case studies and so on. Before you go on to say this is spoonfeeding or anything - this model is extremely popular in the top US colleges and they use it as a selling point.
i'm from one of the local unis, started job hunting 1 year before i graduated. never touched my uni's career office or used any of their services. don't think they were very fantastic anyway. got an offer with an ib, close to 5 figures starting salary (monthly).

I came from poly btw, so have quite a number of SIM/pte uni friends. their attitude towards their careers are in stark contrast to those from the local unis. many of my friends don't even think about jobs/internships at all until AFTER they graduate. guys and girls, whether you're from a local or private uni, start job hunting a year before you graduate; be a little more hungry.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 27-01-2016, 02:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Congratulations on obtaining such a high starting salary for your first job.
I believe such salary are usually drawn by grads in MA or related programmes etc which normal hires do not usually get.
As such you must be someone of a much higher caliber.
Since you said that it is common for local uni students to draw such pay, i can only derive that all your friends are from private uni since they are all shocked at your pay.
If such pay is so common then why are the average salary in the employment survey done for the 3 local unis below 4k for most of the course?
when he says commonplace, i don't think he means average.

some people in my course with 2nd upper and most people with FCH are getting >4k easily. 4.5k is also quite common among my friends.

but all of these cases do not make up even 50% of local uni grads, so it's not reflected in the GES
Old 27-01-2016, 05:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Everyone is going about speculating on things like career planning, school marketing, administration office, interview skills etc. to explain the vast difference in starting pay between private universities and the local ones.

Actually the most obvious and straight forward reason is there - generally speaking private grads are just not as good as local ones.

Think about it, why do big MNCs always hire only local grads? Is it because they are dumb and get taken in by smart marketing? They personally dislike private uni so discriminate against them? For some reason they want to incur bigger cost to hire a local grad when there is a cheaper alternative that can do the same from private uni?

These MNCs have long history, decades of experience hiring, and have seen millions of applicants all over the world. They don't do stupid things for no reason, all they care is profit and paying the least for the best. And they have assessed that it is more value added for them to offer a 4k job to a local grad then throw 2.8k to a private caliber candidate. Why is this so? Simply because NUS has a better career management office?

You can disagree with them, but that is more or less the market consensus at the end of the day. It is a far more dollars and cents rationale decision from extensive business experience companies have rather than just bias or blinded by slick marketing or interview tactics as some here seem to be implying.
dun be elitist plz. everyone think like u of course we dun have facebook or apple.