Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 30-11-2015 08:12 PM

Oh and be the way, there really isn't a middle office. It's very popular term but FO really refers to IB and capital markets while everything else is BO or corporate functions.

MO is a term concocted by a few ego-butthurts who couldn't get into FO but instead got some risk compliance and decided that they were MO but they are really just BO roles.

Unregistered 30-11-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76106)
Oh and be the way, there really isn't a middle office. It's very popular term but FO really refers to IB and capital markets while everything else is BO or corporate functions.

MO is a term concocted by a few ego-butthurts who couldn't get into FO but instead got some risk compliance and decided that they were MO but they are really just BO roles.

I have been hearing this a lot lately. So roles like credit/market risk analyst.. would you consider them BO roles? A number of my banking friends do. Curious about the compensation as well. I heard it's typically about 4k+ so kinda makes it clear that aside from FO roles, the rest of the roles are about 4k+??

Unregistered 30-11-2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76109)
I have been hearing this a lot lately. So roles like credit/market risk analyst.. would you consider them BO roles? A number of my banking friends do. Curious about the compensation as well. I heard it's typically about 4k+ so kinda makes it clear that aside from FO roles, the rest of the roles are about 4k+??

It's up to debate I guess. But to me, the only distinction is FO or not, meaning IB or CapMarkets.

We are lucky because we are from local universities so we will be offered full time roles, not contract jobs. So for such positions, you can generally expect more than 4k, excluding local banks.

For bulge brackets, above 4k is realistic for almost any role, not sure about corporate functions but I've heard of 4.5k for marketing roles within the asset management division.

For local banks, apart from DBS - don't expect more than 4k. Even so, I believe DBS pays between 3.5k to 3.8k for the graduate associate positions and 4.5k for management associates.

Other banks like HSBC, Nomura, SCB and so on I'm not too sure but generally, you can use GS as a measure of brand name and prestige to scale down the salary.

Unregistered 30-11-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76110)

Other banks like HSBC, Nomura, SCB and so on I'm not too sure but generally, you can use GS as a measure of brand name and prestige to scale down the salary.

I agree with everything you have said except the last bit. I know that for IBD, GS offers a lower base salary because of the cachet of their brand name. I am wondering if that's true for the rest of their roles/functions as well.

Unregistered 01-12-2015 09:48 AM

wtf is MO?

i only know the guy who books my trades call himself MO (in his email signature).

till now i struggle to understand what that is.

i only know FO makes money, the rest of the functions are BO.

Unregistered 02-12-2015 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76103)
I majored in operations.

Had offers from 2 management consulting firms, 2 banks (backoffice). In total I interviewed for 5 consulting firms and 2 banks. Applied more than 15 companies.

Nice, which consulting firms? MBB, OW or big4?

All the best bro!

Unregistered 16-12-2015 08:39 AM

Me, a UOL grad, just recruited a late-20s SMU grad with some years of work experience to work for me. LOL.

Unregistered 16-12-2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76894)
Me, a UOL grad, just recruited a late-20s SMU grad with some years of work experience to work for me. LOL.

thanks.

you just validated the fact that sim uol is so rubbish, that even a former student wont hire someone from the same course.

btw, is there a UOL in SG? i only know a sim uol distance learning programme.
if you are from sim, pls say so, and not use "UOL grad".

Unregistered 16-12-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76903)
thanks.

you just validated the fact that sim uol is so rubbish, that even a former student wont hire someone from the same course.

I am secure in what I do and I don't feel the need to justify anything to you. Lol.

Unregistered 18-12-2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76903)
thanks.

UOL is essentially an education franchise. MDIS, PSB and several other private institutions offer UOL classes for students who registered for UOL exams. However, SIM generally have higher enrolment rate (thus more well-known), provides more support to its students and gives UOL student a better "full-fledged" university experience as compared to other private institutions in Singapore.

Btw, I'm a SIM-UOL student. When asked, I just say it as it is. I have faced my fair share of discriminations in interviews and at work before. Truth to be told, I have seen more SIM-UOL with f***ed up work attitude as compared to local uni peeps. On the other hand, I have also worked with local uni students who are scholars but have an "uncoachable" attitude. They may be smart and able, but being an arrogant prick means seniors deem them as "uncoachable", and they do not get dibs on the best deals. End of the day, if one manages to get into the doors, progression boils down to attitude.

Have a great day everyone! Don't stress so much about small stuff. Do whatever make you happy. Lastly, don't romanticised any jobs before you are even in the industry. Makes anyone look like an ignorant fool. :)