Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 26-11-2015 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75907)
Sometimes I really wonder the amount of ******** on this site. Poly grad drawing 6k at a commodity house???? really?? I might have as well not attended uni. Also, your mbb consultants from ivy-league unis are earning that much as a start only. What an insult to them

Too bad for you. I have the connections and network. That's why i don't give a flying f*** about any University degrees

Unregistered 27-11-2015 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75899)
exactly, so fark off you no life troll.

You forgot to quote yourself. :(

Unregistered 27-11-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75872)
yup, while the frog in the well was typing this, sitting at his herman miller chair on the trading floor, looking at his lange 1 and thinking about where to drive his new C63 to after work ends at 6pm.

sucks to be a local uni grad

Luckily I no need work and live off interests, still got personal chauffeur.

Really heng ah!

Trading floor wan sui!

Unregistered 29-11-2015 09:23 PM

To be honest, I think one reason why MOST SIM graduates don't get very well paying jobs comes down to these things

Desire for a Job:

Most of my friends who are in SIM only start looking for jobs AFTER they finish their final paper. Which means, they start looking for jobs in May each other. By that time, all that's left are jobs that no one wants. Hard truth is, local U students begin looking for jobs as soon as their final year start. Since August until now I've had 4 offers, calls for interviews and 2 more interviews lined up and these are reputable firms - Big4, JPM, GS and management consultancies.

Job Experience:

As much as SIM students want to believe that they are doing part-time therefore the 3 years of experience is very valued. It is not. There is a reason why almost every MAP states that you must be a graduate with less than 2 years of experience. And, most local U students have internship experiences with bigger firms. An SIM student probably has experience with a small local firm or a regional MNC but a local kid will probably have several internships with Fortune100 firms.

On Campus Recruiting:

This is pretty much a killer. Most firms do OCR at the 3 unis including SUTD and SIT. It's pretty much a relationship between the firm and school that they always go to the school to recruit even during bad times, do some token recruiting to maintain relationship. It's a deal breaker.

Leadership Experience:

I joined several CCAs, was part of an exco, did a 6 month exchange, 3 internships, represented the school in competition all the while maintaining a 2nd upper gpa. You may think this is good but to be honest, throw a rock at anyone in SMU, 33% chance you'll hit someone with better accolade than this.

And the most important point is the value of the network. It cannot be emphasized more that statistics are simply against SIM students here. NUS/NTU/SMU is more likely to produce a future senior management than SIM. It's simply a numbers game. You might think networking externally is good enough. But think about why people put their careers on hold to attend top15 MBA schools while taking on upwards of 150k debts? It's easier to get a job or sell a project when you were schoolmates with the CEO/MD than if it was some guy you met at a cocktail party.

My fellow batchmates will kill me for saying this but to be honest, getting into NUS/NTU/SMU is very hard but to graduate? You almost have to try to not graduate. There are some tough courses no doubt, but most of the time? The courses are very easy to pass. It's almost a given that if you test anything on the slides, everyone is gonna score full marks. It has reached the point where the professors set paper not to test whether you know your content or not but rather, catches you on stupid careless mistakes you make.

Unregistered 30-11-2015 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76055)
To be honest, I think one reason why MOST SIM graduates don't get very well paying jobs comes down to these things

Desire for a Job:

Most of my friends who are in SIM only start looking for jobs AFTER they finish their final paper. Which means, they start looking for jobs in May each other. By that time, all that's left are jobs that no one wants. Hard truth is, local U students begin looking for jobs as soon as their final year start. Since August until now I've had 4 offers, calls for interviews and 2 more interviews lined up and these are reputable firms - Big4, JPM, GS and management consultancies.

Job Experience:

As much as SIM students want to believe that they are doing part-time therefore the 3 years of experience is very valued. It is not. There is a reason why almost every MAP states that you must be a graduate with less than 2 years of experience. And, most local U students have internship experiences with bigger firms. An SIM student probably has experience with a small local firm or a regional MNC but a local kid will probably have several internships with Fortune100 firms.

On Campus Recruiting:

This is pretty much a killer. Most firms do OCR at the 3 unis including SUTD and SIT. It's pretty much a relationship between the firm and school that they always go to the school to recruit even during bad times, do some token recruiting to maintain relationship. It's a deal breaker.

Leadership Experience:

I joined several CCAs, was part of an exco, did a 6 month exchange, 3 internships, represented the school in competition all the while maintaining a 2nd upper gpa. You may think this is good but to be honest, throw a rock at anyone in SMU, 33% chance you'll hit someone with better accolade than this.

And the most important point is the value of the network. It cannot be emphasized more that statistics are simply against SIM students here. NUS/NTU/SMU is more likely to produce a future senior management than SIM. It's simply a numbers game. You might think networking externally is good enough. But think about why people put their careers on hold to attend top15 MBA schools while taking on upwards of 150k debts? It's easier to get a job or sell a project when you were schoolmates with the CEO/MD than if it was some guy you met at a cocktail party.

My fellow batchmates will kill me for saying this but to be honest, getting into NUS/NTU/SMU is very hard but to graduate? You almost have to try to not graduate. There are some tough courses no doubt, but most of the time? The courses are very easy to pass. It's almost a given that if you test anything on the slides, everyone is gonna score full marks. It has reached the point where the professors set paper not to test whether you know your content or not but rather, catches you on stupid careless mistakes you make.

I think the most amazing part of this whole story is the fact that you actually got a second upper in SMU

Unregistered 30-11-2015 01:06 AM

If you wanna be anal about then I stand corrected, I maintained a magna cum laude.

Unregistered 30-11-2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76064)
If you wanna be anal about then I stand corrected, I maintained a magna cum laude.

sorry to hijack the thread.

from NTU here, abt same as u, first class with CCAs etc.

I'm guessing u major in finance?

May I know what offers (which company/wat dept) u have gotten at this point in time? I'm graduating june 2016 too

Unregistered 30-11-2015 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76102)
sorry to hijack the thread.

from NTU here, abt same as u, first class with CCAs etc.

I'm guessing u major in finance?

May I know what offers (which company/wat dept) u have gotten at this point in time? I'm graduating june 2016 too

I majored in operations.

Had offers from 2 management consulting firms, 2 banks (backoffice). In total I interviewed for 5 consulting firms and 2 banks. Applied more than 15 companies.

Unregistered 30-11-2015 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76103)
I majored in operations.

Had offers from 2 management consulting firms, 2 banks (backoffice). In total I interviewed for 5 consulting firms and 2 banks. Applied more than 15 companies.

How are the bac koffice offers? Always curious about them and mid office offers.

Unregistered 30-11-2015 08:09 PM

Generally they are competitive - 4k and above with good benefits. GS gives a one off 7k signing bonus.

I applied backoffice as a back-up because I want a client facing role and I don't like finance so I accepted the consulting offer. But generally, in ops, the bigger ones are moving into a governance model but they are still growing - JPM is opening their 2nd HQ in APAC in Hong Kong. Be careful which bank you go, SCB is a dying bank, HSBC isn't doing well. In Singapore, I have bias to go GS/JPM/Citi/DBS in that order due to general job security and prospects.

On to prospects, its true that BO is a dead end job but it doesn't have to be. As your workstream gets automated, you have to make sure you become the oversight for that new process thats why some roles such as KYC/Client DD will always stay (Believe it or not, they cannot afford to outsource these roles due to work quality - when I was interning over the summer at a consulting firm, we were on a project 001 (first ever case) so the pressure was very high and we had additional resources attached from our secondary office in India. The guy attached to us was a manager and his work was sh!t. It was until the point, the seniors didn't even want to reply his emails and told me to delegate work to him. But of course, this is a small sample size but you get the idea).

If you stay in a bank long enough, it pays over time but don't suckered into it. I have a senior who started in a BO role, within 8 years he became regional head of department. Another guy I know, started 2.8k at SCB, after 7 years, his pay hit more than 10k, he drives a BMW and owns a condo.

Ultimately, a job is as bad as you want it to be or as good as you want it to be. Love it or hate it, do the best you can, grab opportunities and you'll be fine.

And one more thing I always believe - don't be bogged down by the whole prestige or FO vs BO thing. At the end of the day, if someone rejects BO for a 3.5k job because its BO, guess who's the sucker?