Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Jodie 14-03-2012 12:28 PM

You guys are quite wrong if you think that only local grads own the world and deserve to be paid higher salaries than us.

I worked after graduating from poly, and took a part time degree from UOL. I had offers from NUS, NTU, but they didn't offer part time degrees, which is why I chose UOL.

Gaining work experience, I had a pay of 2.4K before I grad from UOL with just a diploma cert workin in govt agency

After my degree i jumped and had a starting pay of 3.5K at 26 yrs old

So guys, do not shortchange yourself and settle for something less when you are job-hunting. If the job scope is not so interesting and needs hard work - ask for a higher pay - above 2.5K
if the job has potential - dont mind starting with lower pay but not below 2.4K

when interviewing, show your confidence to the employer, why he should hire you, and not go in with the mindset saying die lar, sure lose out to local grads...

Studies does not mean everything. if you are good at studies, does it mean you will be good at your job, having good EQ? Some smart people are very individualistic and don't work as a team. You need to show that yes, my results may not be fantastic, but what I have to offer is definitely more attractive than the mugger.

I agree that qualifications are not impt once you get the job as your KPIs and performance is what determines your career path.

Part time UOL students have an edge, as working experience is what really counts when it comes to hiring.

and yes, govt do have grading and pay systems, and if im not wrong, UOL degree is not on the same level as local uni degree. so venture out, go to private firms out there. don't go venturing into govt side if you don't like to be labelled and looked down upon.

warning 14-03-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20231)
sorry if this is a bit unrelated but since it was mentioned in this thread..may I know how you guys apply for intern beside going through SIM....was the process easy and what are the main requirments?

this thread has quite a few opportunities:
Internships for students - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

Unregistered 14-03-2012 01:36 PM

I grad from UOL last year and had a starting salary of 2.6K in the banking and finance industry.

Jiayou in your job searches!

unregistered 16-03-2012 02:36 PM

happy to share that I got a job after graduating from UOL with a starting pay of $2.9K.
No experience, fresh grad :)

Unregistered 16-03-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unregistered (Post 22416)
happy to share that I got a job after graduating from UOL with a starting pay of $2.9K.

Mind sharing what role/job function? Thx.

Unregistered 16-03-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unregistered (Post 22416)

So low?? I'm also UOL fresh grad and i got offered 3.7k.. i only have third class honors.. Dun short-change yourself... At least ask for 3.2k....

Unregistered 16-03-2012 04:16 PM

It's subjective.

I got a job paying me 2.5k but i quit around Jan this year. Till now still jobless.
I graduated with first class honours in banking and finance.

Reality is harsh. It's not what you know but it's who you know that matters.

Unregistered 16-03-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22428)
It's subjective.

I got a job paying me 2.5k but i quit around Jan this year. Till now still jobless.

Thanks for sharing with us the flip side. Why did you quit without first securing another job?

Unregistered 17-03-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22428)
It's subjective.

Sometime it's also about how you look.. but for that one... it's really an act of god.. nobody can choose.. Well, hope you find a job soon....

Unregistered 18-03-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22431)
Thanks for sharing with us the flip side. Why did you quit without first securing another job?

At that point of time, I was really desperate to leave so.....
Have to admit it's a bad move.