Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 05-07-2013 09:37 AM

Another self declare "SIM" who try to put down the school by pretending to be a great guy who is disgusted with so call bad guys within SIM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39505)
Okay. I think the discussion kinda getting out of hand. Nobody intends to put down others. Its just that, some of the forumers here post ridiculously high starting salary like 7k that kind. Just to clarify, I'm an SIM grad as well. Its just that to me, a lot of prospective students will be doing their research and all to decide which school to go to. And if these people keep posting fake salaries then I'm just afraid students will be deluded and go to SIM because they think they can break into such industries. Its not impossible, but like maybe only top 1-2% of the SIM cohort?

The average SIM grad, no matter how you may want to look at it, will always earn less than the average local uni grad. This is an indisputable fact. Yes, there are high earners from SIM as well, but please, if you are one, you wont be here on this stupid forum in the first place. And those that get there are a very small amount.

I know that for me, I will have to work twice as hard and pick up other REAL, TECHNICAL skills to compete with local grads. Street smarts? Dont be stupid, everybody also got street smarts la, think you so special got first class honors in street smarts is it? joke.

Ask yourself, how did you end up in SIM? Most of us are here because we did badly. I can say around 90% of us are in this situation. I think there are two types of SIM grads/students. Those who did not do well and are realistic about it hence are trying to make up for it by pushing harder. And those who are delusional and this themselves on par with local grads who are smarter and know more things due to the fact that their workload is so much more compared to us.

As an SIM grad, I can honestly say that it is not difficult to get second upper. Work as hard as the average local grad and you can get first class. Honestly, I'm not sure what those idiots who dont get at least second lower/upper doing.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NUS grad (Post 39504)
in the first place this thread is for SIM-UOL grads to share their starting salary.

I highly suspect the discussions started cos some kaypo NUS/NTU/SMU grads came in to take a look and was shocked to find that some SIM grads have a higher starting salary than them.

dun flame me but i think it is possible, for those NUS/NTU/SMU grads who cannot make it. back when i was in JC, some of them barely make it to local unis or try whatever ways to appeal to get in. when they are inside, they continue to slack like nobody's business.

Most of us (I was from NUS) know that we are getting a starting pay that is justifiable, only those who 'cannot make it' will start to 'quarrel' and bring down SIM.

Agree with you, if the NUS/NTU/SMU grads are really that great, they will not spend the whole thread attacking SIM grads as inferior. Also got a lot of clones pretend to be enlightened SIM grads who admit that they are lousier and praise others.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 10:32 AM

I am from SIM and most of my batch are doing very well as high fliers in various industries. In terms of pay and career progression is definitely same if not slightly higher than the 3 local uni.

SIM student are more flexible and can play the office game much better and this is much more important that what degree you get.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 11:21 AM

After reading the post here, I feel personally it makes sense that local unis are paid better. It makes sense, esp for those that slog it out since young while the rest while away their time at lan shops and arcades.

Esp those SIM grads crying discrimination, if SIM grads perform better than those local uni grads is there any fairness? By slacking your time and still get paid well over those that work really hard in life? Cfm those working outside hate co-workers that "zhor bo" and talk very big but do nothing and get the credit kind. Well SIM grads seems to fall into these categories of doing nth and think they deserve to be paid the same and get the credit cos of their "Street smartness" and equality. Total bull man, SIM grads should wake up their idea and be realistic about it, not everyone can be successful, if all is millionaires and billionaires who is gonna clean up and scramble for their leftover. I agree with the lecturer, most student go SIM cos they assume they are "University" grads, half uni grads I believe. Full uni grads?? well there is still a long long way to go. At least most juz take it in their stride and do any jobs that comes by instead of dreaming of higher pay.

Issue lies with the perception that maybe the lecturer gives to the students, thus churning out such individuals. What the abv lecturer said is good, hope he/she translates the words into action by advising his/her students to be realistic and tone down their ambitions and expectations.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39516)

SIM student are more flexible and can play the office game much better and this is much more important that what degree you get.

You just summed up everything there is to know about sim grads. All talk no substance. All games no work. As an employer, I would feel pretty betrayed if my employees are paid do play games and prance around office politics instead of doing the job I paid them to do. Is that all sim grads have? Some arbitrary unquantifiable skill called 'office politics' and street smarts?

Unregistered 05-07-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39521)
You just summed up everything there is to know about sim grads. All talk no substance. All games no work. As an employer, I would feel pretty betrayed if my employees are paid do play games and prance around office politics instead of doing the job I paid them to do. Is that all sim grads have? Some arbitrary unquantifiable skill called 'office politics' and street smarts?

another bookworm who actually believe more work = more promotion / increment

time to wake up, no wonder the pte uni / poly grads are winning

Unregistered 05-07-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39522)

It's sometimes due to luck.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 12:51 PM

As a SIM grad myself, I can't help but agree that based on what I read here, there are certainly some people who are delusional to the fact that local uni grads ON AVERAGE, are better paid than SIM/pte uni grads for a start. stop talking about how tough the UOL papers are or how SIM/pte uni grads can get into IB. u urself know where we stand. face up to reality, we just need to work doubly hard to prove our credentials.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 06:25 PM

i just chanced upon this post. U are the one who needs to wake up.....and grow up.

If u are representative of SIM, there is certainly a lot of catching up to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39522)

Unregistered 05-07-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39506)
You really need to be more resourceful, poly dude.

School of Science & Technology

No one is putting down anyone. The Dean, who previously taught materials science in NTU, said that although the students may not be the brightest, they are very determined and yearned for a better life for the family. He then quoted the example of a hardworking student who, unfortunately, passed on after taking his exams.

well you are quoting uniSIM and not SIM? I believe the two are different?

the former, if im not wrong, all the students have working experiences and when they graduated, they are not 'fresh grads' at all.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 07:21 PM

hmmm there were people from my JC who got bad results (Ds and Es) who were accepted by NTU/NIE. need to sign a bond. are they considered local uni grads as well? :/

Unregistered 05-07-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39537)
hmmm there were people from my JC who got bad results (Ds and Es) who were accepted by NTU/NIE. need to sign a bond. are they considered local uni grads as well? :/

Where got such thing? If people with straight E and D can go local uni then all the private institutes will go bankrupt already. I also applied for NTU and NIE two years back with CDD/B GP A PW B. Kena reject straight in the face. Never even get interview lol. So no, I dont think anyone with those grades would get into local uni. At most only ADM but that one also need quite a strong portfolio.

Maybe they got in with a few A and B but one D or E. Maybe can.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 07:44 PM

All NIE students must sign bond regardless of their grades. Yes they are considered local uni as well and no, I dont think they would get in with those grades. They might have gotten into NIE's DIPLOMA programme though but that would be different situation altogether since we are talking about local degree not local diploma.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39539)
Where got such thing? If people with straight E and D can go local uni then all the private institutes will go bankrupt already. I also applied for NTU and NIE two years back with CDD/B GP A PW B. Kena reject straight in the face. Never even get interview lol. So no, I dont think anyone with those grades would get into local uni. At most only ADM but that one also need quite a strong portfolio.

Maybe they got in with a few A and B but one D or E. Maybe can.

i mean NIE in NTU. a girl in my class got in with DDE and an interview. another guy in my cca got in with CDE with interview too. i was shocked too when i heard that. they need to sign a bond to do the degree prog though.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39541)
i mean NIE in NTU. a girl in my class got in with DDE and an interview. another guy in my cca got in with CDE with interview too. i was shocked too when i heard that. they need to sign a bond to do the degree prog though.

Maybe they got good CCA? Wah. Knn if I know I wouldve applied this year again....

ntu grad 05-07-2013 08:07 PM

the NIE degree is not worth it, dun bother. its not even recognised outside MOE. might as well do a private degree. and if you wanna do a private degree, pls go to SIM and not any other private schs. some firms who prefer local uni grads do take in a few SIM peeps but never hear them taking in grads from other private schs. im from NTU accountancy working in KPMG and there are quite abit of SIM grads here (of cos majority is still local unis and a few overseas unis) and the SIM grads i know took degrees awarded by RMIT or UOL or UNISIM.

local uni grad doing HR 05-07-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39506)
You really need to be more resourceful, poly dude.

School of Science & Technology

No one is putting down anyone. The Dean, who previously taught materials science in NTU, said that although the students may not be the brightest, they are very determined and yearned for a better life for the family. He then quoted the example of a hardworking student who, unfortunately, passed on after taking his exams.

you are talking about UniSIM. UniSIM are all part time students who have working experiences so when they graduate with a degree, they get a promotion and of course their salaries will be higher than NUS/NTU/SMU fresh grads.

I think most of us are talking about fresh out of JC and Poly students who go to SIM to do degrees partnered with foreign universities. When they graduate, their 'status' are the same as fresh grads from local universities.

Dun pose as a fake lecturer from SIM please. A lecturer will be surfing forum here?

Unregistered 05-07-2013 11:42 PM

i do not need to convince you:)

I just teach, earn my 375 dollars per session lecturing and preparation of notes and go home :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by local uni grad doing HR (Post 39547)
you are talking about UniSIM. UniSIM are all part time students who have working experiences so when they graduate with a degree, they get a promotion and of course their salaries will be higher than NUS/NTU/SMU fresh grads.

I think most of us are talking about fresh out of JC and Poly students who go to SIM to do degrees partnered with foreign universities. When they graduate, their 'status' are the same as fresh grads from local universities.

Dun pose as a fake lecturer from SIM please. A lecturer will be surfing forum here?

local uni grad doing HR 06-07-2013 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39554)
i do not need to convince you:)

I just teach, earn my 375 dollars per session lecturing and preparation of notes and go home :)

pls dun harm the future generation, they need someone better. if you are in for the money, why not do something else?

NUS 2001 06-07-2013 06:14 AM

Those SIM grads who 'make it big' dun just stop at their bachelor degree. By 'making it big', i mean those who go on to head the company, head the department or in upper management. They go on to Masters or do professional certs/courses. By the way I do know of some who got accepted by NUS/NTU/SMU to do Masters cos they mainly have good working experiences to boot.

When you are in the private sector, your attitude and ability will bring you further, not so much of where you come from. Trust me, I have been in the private sector for slightly more than 10 years.

I'm sure many people here are undergrads or only just started working for awhile cos it seems many posts are just based on what you think and what you believe.

Unregistered 06-07-2013 06:25 AM

I didn't say I am not committed to teaching. I do enjoy the experience of interacting with adult learners and at the same time, the UniSIM model requires industry practitioners to deliver the lessons. It is a win-win situation for me. Moreover, not many part time jobs can offer $1500 a month for 3 hour a week, excluding preparation time for course materials. At the end of the day, I work for it and I earn my keep. The forumers over here can say all they want. It is not going to change anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by local uni grad doing HR (Post 39560)
pls dun harm the future generation, they need someone better. if you are in for the money, why not do something else?

Unregistered 06-07-2013 09:20 AM

SIM graduates find jobs easily, but earn less
Peers from public varsities are paid several hundred dollars more: Survey
By Sandra Davie, Senior Writer

Graduates from Singapore's biggest and best-known private school land jobs easily, with most receiving two or more offers.

But the first employment survey carried out by the Singapore Institute of Management (SIM) shows that they are typically paid several hundred dollars a month less than their peers from the publicly funded universities.

Seven hundred graduates were polled by the global education arm of the institute, which runs degree courses in partnership with overseas schools.

SIM's other arm is UniSIM, which runs part-time degree courses for working adults. Its graduates were not covered by this survey.

More than nine in 10 found a job within six months of completing their course last year, with most receiving at least two offers and a third getting three or more.

Ten per cent ended up being employed by the Government, mostly at statutory boards such as the Central Provident Fund Board and the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore.

The graduates' typical monthly starting salary in both the private and public sectors ranged from $2,400 to $2,600 - significantly lower than that earned by those from the public universities.

By contrast, the average monthly salary among Singapore Management University graduates last year was $3,388, while Nanyang Technological University graduates got $3,152 and those at the National University of Singapore earned $3,112.

Mr Lee Kwok Cheong, who heads the institute's global education arm, said the discrepancy could be due to the fact that it is not a government institution.

'This is peculiar to Singapore, where when it comes to higher education, only the government-run institutions are seen to be of high quality,' he said.

He added that although the institute has a good record, several private schools have been exposed over the years for running substandard programmes.

'Unfortunately, we are tarred with the same brush.'

Mr Lee said another reason could be that employers were unfamiliar with its model of education, which involves partnerships with foreign universities.

'We need to reach out more to explain how we ensure that the overseas university programmes we run here are as rigorous as the ones run in the home country.'

He pointed out that one indication of quality was the performance of its students taking up University of London degree courses. Last year, 117 of them got first-class honours and another 414 graduated with second upper honours.

The Straits Times asked four companies which employ graduates from the institute why they paid them less. Only one agreed to comment, on condition of anonymity.

Its human resources manager said private firms took their cue from the public sector. 'It's known that some government ministries and stat boards, if they do hire them, put them on a different scale,' he said. 'So, companies would use that as an excuse to pay Singapore Institute of Management grads less.'

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39516)
I am from SIM and most of my batch are doing very well as high fliers in various industries. In terms of pay and career progression is definitely same if not slightly higher than the 3 local uni.

Unregistered 07-07-2013 04:29 AM

LOL you didnt show the full article:

Several firms, including HSBC Singapore and SMRT, said they place them on the same scale as other graduates. And once in, employees rise through the ranks depending on how well they perform. Some said they have noticed special qualities in those who graduate from the institute.

Mr Phan Yoke Fei, vice-president of human resource at SMRT, said: "They tend to be job-ready. They are also hard workers willing to take on additional responsibilities, have a good work attitude and tend to stay on with the company. I guess it comes from being the underdogs, having to fight harder to have an edge over their peers."

The Public Service Division would say only that it has a "good number of civil servants" who got their degrees through the private schools.

The Education Ministry said its teachers have qualifications from many universities but did not say whether private school graduates are placed on a lower salary scale.

Unregistered 07-07-2013 06:02 AM

seems like you take it quite seriously.....muahahhaaa

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39589)

Several firms, including HSBC Singapore and SMRT, said they place them on the same scale as other graduates. And once in, employees rise through the ranks depending on how well they perform. Some said they have noticed special qualities in those who graduate from the institute.

Mr Phan Yoke Fei, vice-president of human resource at SMRT, said: "They tend to be job-ready. They are also hard workers willing to take on additional responsibilities, have a good work attitude and tend to stay on with the company. I guess it comes from being the underdogs, having to fight harder to have an edge over their peers."

The Public Service Division would say only that it has a "good number of civil servants" who got their degrees through the private schools.

The Education Ministry said its teachers have qualifications from many universities but did not say whether private school graduates are placed on a lower salary scale.

Unregistered 07-07-2013 06:07 AM

this is SIM's special quality

SIM student filmed making racist jokes - inSing.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39589)

gingerbreadb0y 31-07-2013 12:05 PM

BAFFT Grads

Back to topic!!

Anyone here knows how much is the starting pay of Accounting and Finance Grad? MAybe we can have a break down of the various industries below:

-Govt/Stat Boards
-Accounting (PTE)
-Finance (PTE)
-Banking
-Non Accounting related
-Sales

Any seniors out there knows about anything or keen to share here :) ?
NTU/NUS/SMU peeps are welcome to share their starting pay too :)

Unregistered 01-08-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbreadb0y (Post 40607)
Back to topic!!

Anyone here knows how much is the starting pay of Accounting and Finance Grad? MAybe we can have a break down of the various industries below:

-Govt/Stat Boards
-Accounting (PTE)
-Finance (PTE)
-Banking
-Non Accounting related
-Sales

Any seniors out there knows about anything or keen to share here :) ?
NTU/NUS/SMU peeps are welcome to share their starting pay too :)

How much do you think would seem acceptable? Well according to my experience, is about 2k plus minus. Unless doing sales like insurance and land banking, which would be higher if you able to get sales that is.

gingerbreadb0y 01-08-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40665)
How much do you think would seem acceptable? Well according to my experience, is about 2k plus minus. Unless doing sales like insurance and land banking, which would be higher if you able to get sales that is.

I have friends earning 3k plus minus ... And if you haven't mentioned, I would assume 3k as the benchmark. Well in this case 2+k just shows my friends are earning above average! Happy for them though .... But kinda disheartened to my future path eh!

Starting pay actually doesnt really matters much to me but i'm more concern with the progression instead.. Whether it's steep or gentle .. Averages is what I need ... Since I am considering a path other than Finance/Accounting field but instead education (lecturer) instead...

Any comments ?

Unregistered 01-08-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbreadb0y (Post 40670)
I have friends earning 3k plus minus ... And if you haven't mentioned, I would assume 3k as the benchmark. Well in this case 2+k just shows my friends are earning above average! Happy for them though .... But kinda disheartened to my future path eh!

Starting pay actually doesnt really matters much to me but i'm more concern with the progression instead.. Whether it's steep or gentle .. Averages is what I need ... Since I am considering a path other than Finance/Accounting field but instead education (lecturer) instead...

Any comments ?

Well, in my experience, local poly/uni will not hire a private degree grad as a lecturer. Unless you can secure a masters/phd in local uni, then there is a good chance for you to get into poly/uni as a lecturer. But with just a pte degree even with ACCA/SQP all that, you will not get in. Maybe you may be able to break into pte schools but even they will require something more than just a degree. Uni lecturer will require a reputable Phd, nothing less. Reputable being local or overseas Ivies.

Unregistered 04-08-2013 11:08 PM

uol grad, expecting 2.1 in banking. 3k ops analyst(perm). not high but, i guess its good enough for me.

Unregistered 20-08-2013 11:39 AM

Started off with 2.5k Basic in IT industry.
Moved on to sales with comms and allowances around 4k+

1 year later job hop and manage to get total of 6k+

IT & Banking are the 2 best paying industries for sales personnel.
Don't brood on starting pay. Work hard show your value and improve.

Unregistered 21-08-2013 05:21 PM

what to expect next year

i will graduate may 2014 from SIM. im doing the UOL Bsc.banking finance degree. hope to complete cfa level 1 exam by december. what type of salary can i expect if i want to work in singapore. i am not a singapore citizen or PR.

Unregistered 22-08-2013 12:30 AM

u should go home since u are a product of SIM. Singapore only retains high quality graduates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41493)
i will graduate may 2014 from SIM. im doing the UOL Bsc.banking finance degree. hope to complete cfa level 1 exam by december. what type of salary can i expect if i want to work in singapore. i am not a singapore citizen or PR.

Unregistered 22-08-2013 01:33 AM

hi guys, im also a fresh graduate from UOL Banking & Finance, with first class honours.

However I am unemployed for 3months and I have practically zero relevant work experience. I have only been offered sales jobs which I am highly averse to.

I feel that most employers dont really care about my results even though I was expecting to leverage on it to negotiate a better pay. which is kind of disappointing. :(

What is a realistic payscale that I should be looking out for? Should I work in bank ops first?

Hope any experienced guys can help me out. thanks.

yoda 22-08-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41505)
hi guys, im also a fresh graduate from UOL Banking & Finance, with first class honours.

However I am unemployed for 3months and I have practically zero relevant work experience. I have only been offered sales jobs which I am highly averse to.

I feel that most employers dont really care about my results even though I was expecting to leverage on it to negotiate a better pay. which is kind of disappointing. :(

What is a realistic payscale that I should be looking out for? Should I work in bank ops first?

I would say at least 2.5k for credit analyst positions. Cause I do know of people with your degree with just a pass getting that sum from one of the European banks.

Of course, the caveat is you do need to have some connections as well.

Unregistered 22-08-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Your qualifications would probably get u short listed for positions u applied for. After that its up to your own wits and interview skills. Academics aside, extra curricular activities, interns are the other deciding factors. Employers nowadays want a candidate w a holistic edu exp. Who you know plays an impt role in the glamorous IB positions too (if that's what ure looking to venture into). Nonetheless, all best in yr job search.

Unregistered 22-08-2013 04:49 PM

yea, i do not have connections.. but issit typical for fresh grads to work as credit analyst without prior experience? i have actually applied for such jobs but i have not received any response.

Dean 22-08-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Try your luck with some of the stat boards / Govt ministries. For instance, MAS, Ministry of Finance. If UOL is a recognised university, they would be able to offer something good.

yoda 22-08-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41518)
yea, i do not have connections.. but issit typical for fresh grads to work as credit analyst without prior experience? i have actually applied for such jobs but i have not received any response.

I can't put down a tangible number on the definition of 'typical'. I think compliance is more typical than credit analyst jobs. But FCH from UOL should be well sought after, even if its considered a DL degree. Maybe you can try the MA Programs from banks?

Unregistered 23-08-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 41522)
Try your luck with some of the stat boards / Govt ministries. For instance, MAS, Ministry of Finance. If UOL is a recognised university, they would be able to offer something good.

UOL is not recognised. UniSIM is. But with a first class. I'm surprised that you are finding it hard to land a job. Don't ask for much. Try to ask for 2.9-3.1. Anything more than that would be difficult and requires connections.