Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 01-10-2015, 02:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Im proudly from SIM, Clementi. Typical local Uni grads only know how to whine and complain when we, private unis undergraduate, beat them to the career game cause they think they are ''oh so great'' and deserve to be on a pedestal while everyone kowtow to them.

I'm 3 years into my career with a second upper and I'm in the 80% - 90% percentile income group of my peers who are around my age. Eat this, delusional local unis fools.

proof: ://ctrlv.in/644203
its pointless to compare salaries across industries as different industries pay different amounts. a fresh grad banker will easily match or surpass your current salary.

anyway, congrats on your good job. lets not forget we are all singaporeans and we should stand together against others.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Unregistered

pls refrain from using the word "graduate" and "degree" if you are from SIM.

there's no such thing as a private degree. its private because you bought it?

in Singapore, all universities are publicly funded. FACT.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
pls refrain from using the word "graduate" and "degree" if you are from SIM.

there's no such thing as a private degree. its private because you bought it?

in Singapore, all universities are publicly funded. FACT.
and why not? based on you saying this, it reflects your self esteem and ego.
private=bought? its correct if its a transaction like the SPU degree, however private students do need to undergo exams and etc too, no doubt the standards of the exams may be different but saying private degree= bought, that is low.

and yes, you are right, all sg uni are publicly funded by all taxpayers, so why the need to bash other pte uni degree? the local uni funded by taxpayers(inclusive of your parents) are also giving out free scholarships to foreigners(free dorms, free expenses, etc). now that is money well spent isn't it?

so people shall we embrace our fellow foreigners(tiongs, indians and others) because they came from the same local uni as us and in times of need, they will definitely be the ones to help us also right? why nt we come up with a plan to help them integrate into our society and replace all those locals with pte degree since they are pretty worthless(in some of your minds)? that would seem like a good idea, cheers =)

Old 01-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Unregistered

This thread is ridiculously full of ****. I came here for the topic and read stupid replies by SIM (and non-SIM, seriously, what are you guys doing here?) kids. It's no wonder people like to trample on certs from SIM. I'm a UOL 2nd upper econs/mgt, recently grad 2 months ago, and although I finished my studies in 2 years, I still feel slightly ashamed to share that I attended sim-UOL.

Why? Look around you, literally, in school. 80% are rich brats who just waste their time and parents' money. They don't do anything value-added to their career and graduate with lofty aspirations thinking they can get a high salary (the same can be said for local grads).

Degrees are just a door opener, I don't think it matters 5 years later (as long as you pursue a progressive career and are an average to above average performer). A fresh grad will need work experience and interview tact to land a good job and salary. So why the competition? A local uni grad can be academically smart and still have a slow career progression, on the other hand, a "private uni grad" can be streetwise and progress fast in his area of expertise. Of course, there's only a handful of such people from either schools.

Anyway, tl;dr, back to the gist of this thread. I'm earning 3.2k, in a industry and job of my choice. I took some time to find a job as there weren't many openings for this type. It's not an easy job to enter (non-bank sector), and a good tip will be: do internships during your study break!!! If you don't want to "waste your precious holiday", don't cry and compare when you are earning ~2.5k and your local uni friends are earning ~1.5x your pay.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This thread is ridiculously full of ****. I came here for the topic and read stupid replies by SIM (and non-SIM, seriously, what are you guys doing here?) kids. It's no wonder people like to trample on certs from SIM. I'm a UOL 2nd upper econs/mgt, recently grad 2 months ago, and although I finished my studies in 2 years, I still feel slightly ashamed to share that I attended sim-UOL.

Why? Look around you, literally, in school. 80% are rich brats who just waste their time and parents' money. They don't do anything value-added to their career and graduate with lofty aspirations thinking they can get a high salary (the same can be said for local grads).

Degrees are just a door opener, I don't think it matters 5 years later (as long as you pursue a progressive career and are an average to above average performer). A fresh grad will need work experience and interview tact to land a good job and salary. So why the competition? A local uni grad can be academically smart and still have a slow career progression, on the other hand, a "private uni grad" can be streetwise and progress fast in his area of expertise. Of course, there's only a handful of such people from either schools.

Anyway, tl;dr, back to the gist of this thread. I'm earning 3.2k, in a industry and job of my choice. I took some time to find a job as there weren't many openings for this type. It's not an easy job to enter (non-bank sector), and a good tip will be: do internships during your study break!!! If you don't want to "waste your precious holiday", don't cry and compare when you are earning ~2.5k and your local uni friends are earning ~1.5x your pay.
Reason is simple - the minority SIM grads who have succeeded would have been busy with their careers. Why would they bother to come here to post random **** about how much they earn?
Old 01-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Unregistered

The recent ranking shows Nus at 12 in the world.Anyone on this forum can explain why it's ranked higher than Ivy League schools?

Old 01-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The recent ranking shows Nus at 12 in the world.Anyone on this forum can explain why it's ranked higher than Ivy League schools?
i believe no one here can give you a definite answer, you would have to go to the source and find out how did they rank the schools, what criteria are taken into consideration, etc
Old 01-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Reason is simple - the minority SIM grads who have succeeded would have been busy with their careers. Why would they bother to come here to post random **** about how much they earn?

Am the original poster. Agreed, had some free time so I decided to check out how peers are doing, since Sim-UOL students just graduated. But it seems like there's plenty of local grads here on this thread as well. I think people do read, this comes up as one of the top results on Google search for salary+SIM, and it's not wrong to be curious how your pay is compared to your peers. Just that this thread is a turnoff because so many people are arguing here. I read some of the threads here but don't post replies.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
and why not? based on you saying this, it reflects your self esteem and ego.
private=bought? its correct if its a transaction like the SPU degree, however private students do need to undergo exams and etc too, no doubt the standards of the exams may be different but saying private degree= bought, that is low.

and yes, you are right, all sg uni are publicly funded by all taxpayers, so why the need to bash other pte uni degree? the local uni funded by taxpayers(inclusive of your parents) are also giving out free scholarships to foreigners(free dorms, free expenses, etc). now that is money well spent isn't it?

so people shall we embrace our fellow foreigners(tiongs, indians and others) because they came from the same local uni as us and in times of need, they will definitely be the ones to help us also right? why nt we come up with a plan to help them integrate into our society and replace all those locals with pte degree since they are pretty worthless(in some of your minds)? that would seem like a good idea, cheers =)
firstly, brush up on your command of english. its embarrassing that you write 2-3 complete paragraphs of complete gibberish. your pri6 english teacher will have a nightmare reading this.

secondly, yes private degrees are bought, very much like SPU. dont tell me that you have a full curriculum/attend exams tutorials etc. everyone knows the standards are lax, and there's no way SIM students would be able to pass an exam in a local uni. mind you, in a proper uni, grades are bell curved. i am competing against the very best, unlike in sim where the grades are not normal distributed (dont say otherwise, i have insider info on this. if its anything, they have to mark up sim papers because if not the majority will flunk out).

there is no need to bash fellow singaporeans, i agree. but there is a difference when sim students go out thinking that they are up there with the very best, and go around posting on their CVs/linkedin/facebook they are from UOL/LSE/RMIT etc.

be humble, and say you did a private degree from SIM. dont list crap like LSE on your facebook, and join groups like LSE Alumni in SG. thats just plain rubbish
Old 02-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Im proudly from SIM, Clementi. Typical local Uni grads only know how to whine and complain when we, private unis undergraduate, beat them to the career game cause they think they are ''oh so great'' and deserve to be on a pedestal while everyone kowtow to them.

I'm 3 years into my career with a second upper and I'm in the 80% - 90% percentile income group of my peers who are around my age. Eat this, delusional local unis fools.

proof: ://ctrlv.in/644203
wait, bro.

your basic salary is $7,875 per month and your cpf contribution is $1,000???? how does that exactly work, because employee cpf contribution rate should be 20% (i'm assuming you're 50 years old and below)

please enlighten me, i'm not too familiar with the cpf thingy.