Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 29-06-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39195)
SIM graduated last year now in OCBC doing risk modelling related work, joined at $3700 at first and after increment this year now at $4100.

You really want to listen to this troll? Trust me, SIM grads at most take home 3k. Thats considered lucky. Unless you have some past experience before entering SIM. And tbh, any SIM-UOL grad thats earning that much will be smart enough to NOT waste time on these forums.

Think with your brain, not with your ass. Open your eyes big big and look around you. If SIM grads really earning this much, you think people will still go to NUS/NTU/SMU? Wake up your idea la. If SIM grad really earn that much, SIM would already publish a graduate employment survey like the other local uni. The fact that they dont just means one thing.

Im not saying its not possible. Yes, it is. If you are smart enough. But then you wont be in SIM in the first place.

Unregistered 29-06-2013 10:50 PM

Ouch, that hurts.

But it is the hard truth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39243)
You really want to listen to this troll? Trust me, SIM grads at most take home 3k. Thats considered lucky. Unless you have some past experience before entering SIM. And tbh, any SIM-UOL grad thats earning that much will be smart enough to NOT waste time on these forums.

Think with your brain, not with your ass. Open your eyes big big and look around you. If SIM grads really earning this much, you think people will still go to NUS/NTU/SMU? Wake up your idea la. If SIM grad really earn that much, SIM would already publish a graduate employment survey like the other local uni. The fact that they dont just means one thing.

Im not saying its not possible. Yes, it is. If you are smart enough. But then you wont be in SIM in the first place.

Unregistered 29-06-2013 11:13 PM

There are SIM grads and undergrads around this forums that purposely post fake high salary in an effort to improve perception on themselves and the school so that they can bargain for higher pay when they find a job. However, what they do not realise is that it places a very unrealistic view of SIM and its job prospects. Many will end up being deceived that they will earn big bucks when they go SIM only to find that they will not even be able to join the gov sector when they graduate.

Unregistered 30-06-2013 10:55 AM

I just grad last month from UOL. Working now as a M&A analyst with a hard commodities firm. I wrote 2.5k as expected, i got 2.5k. I dunno will have increment or bonus anot. But... happy enough, just want to learn and gain experience.

Unregistered 01-07-2013 09:41 AM

SIM grads here are a strange lot. Tell them their purchased degree is inferior to NUS/NTU/SMU they get emo angry and rant about how degree is just a piece of paper mean nothing and all degree grads should be the same in salary.

When some sucessful SIM grads share they actually manage to make it against the local u with good pay, they again get emo angry and accuse others of lying or come up with cooky conspiracy theories about covert marketing operations to bluff the whole world for higher pay.

Unregistered 01-07-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39297)
SIM grads here are a strange lot. Tell them their purchased degree is inferior to NUS/NTU/SMU they get emo angry and rant about how degree is just a piece of paper mean nothing and all degree grads should be the same in salary.

When some sucessful SIM grads share they actually manage to make it against the local u with good pay, they again get emo angry and accuse others of lying or come up with cooky conspiracy theories about covert marketing operations to bluff the whole world for higher pay.

Wrong. That is based on the presumption that both types of postings are made by the same group of people which is entirely untrue. From my experience, this is actually made by 2 seperated groups of SIM-UOL grads. One side believes that their degrees are not inferior and hence say that crap about how degree means nothing.

The other side is the more realistic kind who does know the value of the degree and knows that SIM grads can rarely make as much or more than local grads.

Unregistered 02-07-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39326)
Wrong. That is based on the presumption that both types of postings are made by the same group of people which is entirely untrue. From my experience, this is actually made by 2 seperated groups of SIM-UOL grads. One side believes that their degrees are not inferior and hence say that crap about how degree means nothing.

The other side is the more realistic kind who does know the value of the degree and knows that SIM grads can rarely make as much or more than local grads.

every 1 realistic SIM grad comes with 10 SIM dreamers.

Unregistered 02-07-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorman (Post 15839)
Hey guys just thought of starting a thread for all fresh degree grads from UOL.

Local Uni grads, feel free to input your starting pay for the envy of others lol.

For me, i'm getting a miserable $2,300. :(

if i'm you, i will run a simple FB search on companies that hires SIM grads.

gain the experience, i've heard experience abt people preferring SIM grads for their streetsmartness

Unregistered 02-07-2013 05:37 PM

so you think using Facebook to search for companies is akin to being street smart?

Now I understand the calibre of graduates that SIM produces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39337)
if i'm you, i will run a simple FB search on companies that hires SIM grads.

gain the experience, i've heard experience abt people preferring SIM grads for their streetsmartness

Unregistered 02-07-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39355)
so you think using Facebook to search for companies is akin to being street smart?

opps not from SIM, just saying the interviewer was finding problems with a NUS grad, who is also my friend.

1 of the bank in sg for a RM post

Unregistered 02-07-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39355)

SIMs like to boast of being streetsmart, but wtf is that?

Base on what I hear, it seems to be nothing more than a bunch of shortcut tactics, thrash talking, crackpot theories, weasaling and rumor mongering of how some SIMs become fabulously rich & successful etc.

Unregistered 02-07-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39357)
SIMs like to boast of being streetsmart, but wtf is that?

Base on what I hear, it seems to be nothing more than a bunch of shortcut tactics, thrash talking, crackpot theories, weasaling and rumor mongering of how some SIMs become fabulously rich & successful etc.

donch be jealous because ur boss from SIM make more money and higher rank then u.

streetsmartness is more impt in pte sector & noone care abt degrees. lots of snr ranking SVP & EVP r from SIM and local u ppl end up working fer them

Unregistered 02-07-2013 09:46 PM

why would anyone be jealous of SIM grads? And stop sprouting nonsensical remarks here.

SIM grads are not worth anything.

Junk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39358)
donch be jealous because ur boss from SIM make more money and higher rank then u.

streetsmartness is more impt in pte sector & noone care abt degrees. lots of snr ranking SVP & EVP r from SIM and local u ppl end up working fer them

Unregistered 02-07-2013 10:04 PM

I graduated last month from UOL last mth. I know.. it is extremely tough for UOL students to find their dream jobs. Honestly.. It is a very competitive job market out there right now. But if you have the fight in you, THEN STAND OUT! DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Don't just listen to wonderful stories and think it will simply land on your lap one day. Yes! There are people doing really well from UOL, but partially because they are either really lucky or approach their predicament with the right attitude.

I'm currently with a job of my dreams, just one month after I graduated. How? I decided to do something to STAND OUT for this job I really wanted. On the same day I submitted my CV, I called for an interview. I impressed the panel of interviewers so much, that they decided not to waste time and hired me later in the evening, scrapping 2nd & 3rd round interview all together. I started work immediately the next day. Prior to my interview, they had interviewed many local uni students, whom in my colleagues opinions were impressive. I have also seen some of their CV; If we were to compare CV, I'm definitely not up there. But I was hired simply because they really like my attitude, and they know I am the right man for the job right after the interview even though I lacked the experience. Why? I did something which I don't think many people in Singapore will do. And I spent days working and planning on how to secure this job I wanted and showed it to the company before they even interview me. I was called just 5 minutes after they receive my CV. I won't tell you how I did it, so please use your own imagination and think of what u think u can do to show employers that u have what it takes.

Right now, I am the very first and only analyst in my firm doing M&A. My team is made up of veteran lawyer and veteran investment bankers; They also happened to be the same people who interviewed me. I'm the first and only fresh grad they've ever hired so far; They were looking for experienced hire. I was given everything at the job, they ordered a new personal laptop for me and I will be given anything I request. I know it's nothing much to many of you, but in my heart, I am still a "know nothing" student. I am extremely grateful that I was given the opportunity to work with them and learn from everyone.

So... if you think you are street smart (I know many of you are street smart), then you have to show it. Otherwise, it is just hot air. I do know some really smart SIM friends and some not so bright friends in Local Unis. Keeping it real, I had seen more shiat SIM students. At this particular INC event I attended, I witness many SIM students asking and saying rather stupid things. At times, the speakers are at a loss on how to reply the students. However, I had also seen local uni students committing acts of stupidity far too often.

If you think you are special, then show that uniqueness of yours boldly in the right manner, it will transcend school name. Don't let rejections get to you, let it make you tougher and wiser, let it spur you on to greater opportunities. I'm not writing here to give you hope, rather, I am asking you to fight hard for what you think you deserve. Applies to everybody, just that our fellow friends in Local unis fight for it earlier on in their life.

Being in UOL is a truly a disadvantage, only if you let it be. I manage to spin it to my advantage during my interview. No, I didn't get in through networking, no one in my firm knows abt me prior to my interview. Nope, I'm not from JC, I'm a poly dude. I think you can probably tell from my inadequate command of English. Just think through your plans abit more ok?

GOOD LUCK AND ALL THE BEST TO UOL PEEPS! :)

Unregistered 03-07-2013 01:10 AM

WoW great stuff ! I think this street smartness should be taken to the next level. By being truly outstanding...lets do pole dances and lap dances at interviews...that's it !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39364)
I graduated last month from UOL last mth. I know.. it is extremely tough for UOL students to find their dream jobs. Honestly.. It is a very competitive job market out there right now. But if you have the fight in you, THEN STAND OUT! DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Don't just listen to wonderful stories and think it will simply land on your lap one day. Yes! There are people doing really well from UOL, but partially because they are either really lucky or approach their predicament with the right attitude.

I'm currently with a job of my dreams, just one month after I graduated. How? I decided to do something to STAND OUT for this job I really wanted. On the same day I submitted my CV, I called for an interview. I impressed the panel of interviewers so much, that they decided not to waste time and hired me later in the evening, scrapping 2nd & 3rd round interview all together. I started work immediately the next day. Prior to my interview, they had interviewed many local uni students, whom in my colleagues opinions were impressive. I have also seen some of their CV; If we were to compare CV, I'm definitely not up there. But I was hired simply because they really like my attitude, and they know I am the right man for the job right after the interview even though I lacked the experience. Why? I did something which I don't think many people in Singapore will do. And I spent days working and planning on how to secure this job I wanted and showed it to the company before they even interview me. I was called just 5 minutes after they receive my CV. I won't tell you how I did it, so please use your own imagination and think of what u think u can do to show employers that u have what it takes.

Right now, I am the very first and only analyst in my firm doing M&A. My team is made up of veteran lawyer and veteran investment bankers; They also happened to be the same people who interviewed me. I'm the first and only fresh grad they've ever hired so far; They were looking for experienced hire. I was given everything at the job, they ordered a new personal laptop for me and I will be given anything I request. I know it's nothing much to many of you, but in my heart, I am still a "know nothing" student. I am extremely grateful that I was given the opportunity to work with them and learn from everyone.

So... if you think you are street smart (I know many of you are street smart), then you have to show it. Otherwise, it is just hot air. I do know some really smart SIM friends and some not so bright friends in Local Unis. Keeping it real, I had seen more shiat SIM students. At this particular INC event I attended, I witness many SIM students asking and saying rather stupid things. At times, the speakers are at a loss on how to reply the students. However, I had also seen local uni students committing acts of stupidity far too often.

If you think you are special, then show that uniqueness of yours boldly in the right manner, it will transcend school name. Don't let rejections get to you, let it make you tougher and wiser, let it spur you on to greater opportunities. I'm not writing here to give you hope, rather, I am asking you to fight hard for what you think you deserve. Applies to everybody, just that our fellow friends in Local unis fight for it earlier on in their life.

Being in UOL is a truly a disadvantage, only if you let it be. I manage to spin it to my advantage during my interview. No, I didn't get in through networking, no one in my firm knows abt me prior to my interview. Nope, I'm not from JC, I'm a poly dude. I think you can probably tell from my inadequate command of English. Just think through your plans abit more ok?

Unregistered 03-07-2013 02:32 AM

there are many kinds of SIM grads.

some boasts of being streetsmart but thats the only thing they have. All talk no action no results.

the other type, they are not only streetsmart (thing is, they never say they are) but have the caliber and ability and they work hard to produce results.

im from NUS and why i can say this is because i have come across these two types of SIM grads in my former and current firms.

in my former company, there are a number of SIM grads who are like the first type. though i was only there for awhile, it doesnt take long to know that they dun have the ability at all. worse is they talk like they 'know it all'.

i joined my current company late last year and initially was 'wary' of the SIM grads there. they are the minority cos my current company prefer to hire local uni and overseas uni grads. but working with a few of them after awhile, i realise that they work hard and smart and do produce results. also, they are humble yet not passive.

my own opinion is, you dun have to say how good you are to prove yourself, prove it through actions and whether you are good anot, others can see it.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Dude. Congrats to you. M&A has very high barriers to entry. Is it a boutique M&A firm btw?

Unregistered 03-07-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Another typical fancy story about SIMs who claim they do werid stuff to great results. Does SIM provide storytelling module training? How come all the story told by SIMs almost the same one?

This kind of SIM urban legends have been around for god knows how long. Details different but the story outline always like that:

1) I start off lousier than others because I SIM
2) I decide to do something weird and against norms to seek attention
3) Interviewer was so impressed with my silly antics and say I have drive and initiative, can think out of the box, streetsmart etc
4) In the end I got the super power dream job beating all others who are much better than me hands down

This kind is the story I always hear spread by SIMs, but never in my life see in real life. I agree with above poster on this point which is same as my observation also:

Quote:

some boasts of being streetsmart but thats the only thing they have. All talk no action no results.

the other type, they are not only streetsmart (thing is, they never say they are) but have the caliber and ability and they work hard to produce results.

the other type , they are not only streetsmart (thing is, they never say they are) but have the caliber and ability and they work hard to produce results.
Too bad the first type are the majority of SIMs I have seen so far.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39380)
Another typical fancy story about SIMs who claim they do werid stuff to great results. Does SIM provide storytelling module training? How come all the story told by SIMs almost the same one?

This kind of SIM urban legends have been around for god knows how long. Details different but the story outline always like that:

1) I start off lousier than others because I SIM
2) I decide to do something weird and against norms to seek attention
3) Interviewer was so impressed with my silly antics and say I have drive and initiative, can think out of the box, streetsmart etc
4) In the end I got the super power dream job beating all others who are much better than me hands down

This kind is the story I always hear spread by SIMs, but never in my life see in real life. I agree with above poster on this point which is same as my observation also:

Too bad the first type are the majority of SIMs I have seen so far.

Dude. Do you have something against SIM peeps or what. The matter of fact that you didn't see any of these guys in real life doesn't equate to the reality that they don't exist.

Yes, I understand that some of the SIM peeps have no head or tail regarding what they r talking about. But to bash everyone from SIM into one standard compartment is simply not right.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 10:28 AM

may i also add that some from top aust unis are not any better too. they prob have rich parents to send them overseas!

Unregistered 03-07-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39371)

the second types are prob those:

1) who were able to enter local unis but did not get their 'desired' course (like biz) or

2) 'woken up' and know that they are lagging behind so they work extra hard

this type i will gladly work with them and even have 'healthy competition' with. maybe even can learn something from them since they have gone thru 'lessons'. really better than those who 'All talk no action no result".

Unregistered 03-07-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39384)
may i also add that some from top aust unis are not any better too. they prob have rich parents to send them overseas!

This I agree. Those who go to Australia is most of the time cannot make it to local uni as well but parents very rich can send them there. In my opinion, if you are from an overseas uni that is not oxbridge/MIT/Caltech/Harvard that standard means you are just a rich kid. NUS already so high up there in rankings, if you go overseas it usually just means you couldnt get into the course that you want in NUS or even worse couldnt even get into NUS in the first place. Be it those who go to adelaide or queensland or sydney, NSW, Monash whatever all the same. Same as those second tier UK uni like Durham/Bristol/Sheffield/Manchester. If they didnt have money they would also be in SIM or in local uni but in a less competitive course that they dont want.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39386)
This I agree. Those who go to Australia is most of the time cannot make it to local uni as well but parents very rich can send them there. In my opinion, if you are from an overseas uni that is not oxbridge/MIT/Caltech/Harvard that standard means you are just a rich kid. NUS already so high up there in rankings, if you go overseas it usually just means you couldnt get into the course that you want in NUS or even worse couldnt even get into NUS in the first place. Be it those who go to adelaide or queensland or sydney, NSW, Monash whatever all the same. Same as those second tier UK uni like Durham/Bristol/Sheffield/Manchester. If they didnt have money they would also be in SIM or in local uni but in a less competitive course that they dont want.

yah lor sad to say prob some ok ones are in SIM cos their families are not rich. wah lao those rich brats who go overseas and come back to brag are even worse!

Unregistered 03-07-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39383)
Dude. Do you have something against SIM peeps or what. The matter of fact that you didn't see any of these guys in real life doesn't equate to the reality that they don't exist.

Yes, I understand that some of the SIM peeps have no head or tail regarding what they r talking about. But to bash everyone from SIM into one standard compartment is simply not right.

Bad SIMs greatly outnumber good SIMs, one has to generalise in such cases for normal conversations. Otherwise how? Every sententce include a disclaimer clause that say I recognise that a small minority are good SIMs and my comments are not meant to be applied to these good SIMs?

Unregistered 03-07-2013 11:01 AM

To be fair not all from SIM are black sheeps lah. Its hard for poly grads to enter local unis, nowadays even 3.5 GPA might not be easy so most poly grads are in SIM. Heck even top aussie unis accept poly grads with 2.5 GPA!

i had 3.8 GPA and its not even auto entry to NTU, had to go to interview before I got accepted.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39386)

Not True, the tope 2 UNIs in Australia (NAU and UMel) are either on par or higher ranked than NUS.

Based on times higher University rankings. This is the same ranking system which NUS uses.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39391)
Not True, the tope 2 UNIs in Australia (NAU and UMel) are either on par or higher ranked than NUS.

Based on times higher University rankings. This is the same ranking system which NUS uses.

i know of someone from poly who got into Uni of Melbourne Biz with just 3.0 GPA.

another dude from jc did badly for A level (got D,E,E) but his rich family sent him to Monash to do foundation programme (something like pre-university) and after completing, he was able to gain entry into year 2 of Monash's biz programme.

thats why sometimes i see those with better results in SIM more up than them.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39388)
Bad SIMs greatly outnumber good SIMs, one has to generalise in such cases for normal conversations. Otherwise how? Every sententce include a disclaimer clause that say I recognise that a small minority are good SIMs and my comments are not meant to be applied to these good SIMs?

How was your past experience with them? How many have you met? How do you base your judgement. Tell us more about it.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

indeed, and the Manchester MBA is ranked higher than NTU and NUS MBAs.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39394)
How was your past experience with them? How many have you met? How do you base your judgement. Tell us more about it.

Generally as a group SIMs are inferior to the proper local university graduates in terms of articulation, written correspondence, general knowledge and attitude. Most SIMs seem to be aware of this poor perception of them and try to thump their noses by potraying themselves as streetsmart and often rationalise questionable work attitude.

Never count, but throughout my recruitment days probably have met 200-300 SIMs I guess. My estimate is about 15%-20% are late bloomers who just happen to do poorly in school in their early days and can take on the competiton with better grads and even outperform them career wise. The rest mostly have sub-par careers compared to other degree grads and like to lament and attribute such poor career performance to the world being unfair and look down on SIM.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 01:32 PM

I dun understand why is there all these discussions about SIM vs Local Unis? And some posters bringing down SIM grads? Is it because some SIM grads outperform you guys or what? Shouldnt we focus more on how to improve ourselves?

I was from SMU and the SIM grads in my company are doing fine and good. In fact we dun label ourselves coming from where and where but focus more on how each individual perform.

In fact somehow I think Local Unis grads like us have a higher expectation from society and there is immense pressure to do well. I know some of my pals scrape through to graduate and sometimes I wonder are they really able to go out and compete with everyone?

Unregistered 03-07-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39397)
Generally as a group SIMs are inferior to the proper local university graduates in terms of articulation, written correspondence, general knowledge and attitude. Most SIMs seem to be aware of this poor perception of them and try to thump their noses by potraying themselves as streetsmart and often rationalise questionable work attitude.

Never count, but throughout my recruitment days probably have met 200-300 SIMs I guess. My estimate is about 15%-20% are late bloomers who just happen to do poorly in school in their early days and can take on the competiton with better grads and even outperform them career wise. The rest mostly have sub-par careers compared to other degree grads and like to lament and attribute such poor career performance to the world being unfair and look down on SIM.

I'm a SIM student myself. What you said is quite true and similar to the way i perceive the situation. Given that, any advice for sim peeps in this regard? how should they improve on themselves.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39401)
I dun understand why is there all these discussions about SIM vs Local Unis? And some posters bringing down SIM grads? Is it because some SIM grads outperform you guys or what? Shouldnt we focus more on how to improve ourselves?

I was from SMU and the SIM grads in my company are doing fine and good. In fact we dun label ourselves coming from where and where but focus more on how each individual perform.

In fact somehow I think Local Unis grads like us have a higher expectation from society and there is immense pressure to do well. I know some of my pals scrape through to graduate and sometimes I wonder are they really able to go out and compete with everyone?

i tend to agree.. i have worked in 2 GLCs and one MNC so far and all of us executive middle mgmt do not discriminate where we are from... u got hired on your own merit, given a portfolio or section to manage, and u better be able to handle that no matter where u are from.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

All Aust unis, no matter how good they are, just want money from international students.

i know of a poly grad who gt accepted by Uni of Melbourne Biz with just 3.0 GPA.

and a jc dude who did badly for A level (D, E, E) and his rich parents sent him to Monash to do foundation programme (something like pre-university course) and after completion, he went into year 2 of Monash's biz progs.

after graduation, they can come back and say they grad from top Aust unis.

thats why i see those in SIM with better results more up than them!

Unregistered 03-07-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39403)
I'm a SIM student myself. What you said is quite true and similar to the way i perceive the situation. Given that, any advice for sim peeps in this regard? how should they improve on themselves.

shouldnt you ask yourself the question instead of consulting from unknown people in the virtual world? for all you know, some people here might not even be university graduates.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39408)
shouldnt you ask yourself the question instead of consulting from unknown people in the virtual world? for all you know, some people here might not even be university graduates.

I see your point but there's no harm in asking. What's the risk - none.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39403)

The best way to divorce yourself from this bad reputation of the SIMs is to actually wipe the concept of SIM out of your mind and behave as if you are just a grad among thousands who wants to build your career.

This means no bitching about why SIMs are lower paid, no getting emo over when some people say unflattering things about SIM, no getting angry/jealous because the interviewer chose a local uni over you, no getting high over hearing some SIM make it big, no acting beng or sell your street smart credentials all the time.

Essentially the greatest enemey of the SIM is himself. The successful SIMs I find approach problems, challenges and setback one problem at a time without letting concepts of which university they come from get into the picture. Only the mediocre underperformer view every career juncture through the lens of which university they come from.

By getting defensive using childish antics like demanding statistical proof that SIMs are inferior or citing some distant relative / firend SIM who make it big to boost self-esteem just reinforces the prevailing sentiment that you have a confidence issue graduating from SIM.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 04:43 PM

ok...... in the spirit of anonymity of this forum,

i have been working ~7 years since grad, current annual package $90+k... should reach 100k in my next IR8A. my wife has been working ~5 years, drawing around $70+k. both of us from UOL-SIM.

i think i am doing as well as some local grads in non-banking or sales positions.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 05:39 PM

Top Australian Unis are not significantly better than NUS.

Quote:

Unregistered 03-07-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39413)
The best way to divorce yourself from this bad reputation of the SIMs is to actually wipe the concept of SIM out of your mind and behave as if you are just a grad among thousands who wants to build your career.

This means no bitching about why SIMs are lower paid, no getting emo over when some people say unflattering things about SIM, no getting angry/jealous because the interviewer chose a local uni over you, no getting high over hearing some SIM make it big, no acting beng or sell your street smart credentials all the time.

Essentially the greatest enemey of the SIM is himself. The successful SIMs I find approach problems, challenges and setback one problem at a time without letting concepts of which university they come from get into the picture. Only the mediocre underperformer view every career juncture through the lens of which university they come from.

By getting defensive using childish antics like demanding statistical proof that SIMs are inferior or citing some distant relative / firend SIM who make it big to boost self-esteem just reinforces the prevailing sentiment that you have a confidence issue graduating from SIM.

fark off and dun try & talk big plz. i am proud of my school from sim and the fact i now make more $$$ than the elitist scholars.