Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Bean 12-12-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorman (Post 18800)
That's pretty high!

Was the degree full-time or part-time? Was she working already prior to obtaining this degree. This can have a big impact on the salary.

If she's full-time studies with little or no working experience beforehand, your friend is probably exaggerating the amount. :o

No offense to your friend but private uni graduates are rarely regarded in the same pay-scale as local uni graduates.

4k is high?!??!? in wat sector/wat industry???

poorman 12-12-2011 04:01 PM

Is 4k not high for a starting salary?

When there is nothing but academic qualifications to be used as a yardstick by companies to hire an individual, is a private degree deemed worthy of a $4k starting salary? You do know that this is a risk that they take right.

Even if you were outstanding in your interview getting all the right answers, how much of a risk as a HR would you be willing to pay above the median wage for this person?

Too often we live in a society where to be well regarded, ample chest-thumping and proclamations of higher than expected salaries are the norm.

Maybe you can share what industry you are in that 4K starting salary is peanuts?

Unregistered 04-01-2012 02:36 PM

graduated in 2003
SIM UOL Econs and Mgmnt
2nd lower hons

Went to join Civil Service Starting was 3K but I have prior work experience but not related.
After 6 years, pay was 4.5K, was sent for Masters sponsored by orgn
I was a consistent performer, averaging B grades all the way.

Left last year. Joined Morgan Stanley.

Now salary is 8k.

no complains.

My tip: Once you apply for managerial or director post, they wun even bother ur qualifications, they want to see ur performance at work and the KPIs u achieved, referees, awards and accolades.

Unregistered 05-01-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19368)
graduated in 2003
SIM UOL Econs and Mgmnt
2nd lower hons

Went to join Civil Service Starting was 3K but I have prior work experience but not related.
After 6 years, pay was 4.5K, was sent for Masters sponsored by orgn
I was a consistent performer, averaging B grades all the way.

Left last year. Joined Morgan Stanley.

Now salary is 8k.

no complains.

My tip: Once you apply for managerial or director post, they wun even bother ur qualifications, they want to see ur performance at work and the KPIs u achieved, referees, awards and accolades.

Great sharing. What i learn after i started working is that if u have a Masters/MBA, nobody cares about your first degree. So if u have well off parents who can sponsor your Masters in Australia/US/SMU, u can play throughout your undergrad studies and still end up above the hardworking, poor local uni grad.

Unregistered 05-01-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19387)
Great sharing. What i learn after i started working is that if u have a Masters/MBA, nobody cares about your first degree. So if u have well off parents who can sponsor your Masters in Australia/US/SMU, u can play throughout your undergrad studies and still end up above the hardworking, poor local uni grad.

Yeah.. Well.. Life's unfair... If you are unlucky with poor parents.. You just have to depend on yourself to find whatever means to raise the funds for your own education... Better late than never....

Imbiah 25-01-2012 10:17 PM

Hi guys, I just graduated from RMIT Accountancy and Law end last year. I have about 1 year of accounting experience, how much pay is considered reasonable?

Unregistered 26-01-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imbiah (Post 19984)
Hi guys, I just graduated from RMIT Accountancy and Law end last year. I have about 1 year of accounting experience, how much pay is considered reasonable?

If you join a bank as Financial Analyst should be 6k+, if join MNC as Accountant will be lower at about 4.5k-5.5k

Unregistered 26-01-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19988)
If you join a bank as Financial Analyst should be 6k+, if join MNC as Accountant will be lower at about 4.5k-5.5k

Nah.... Should be around 7k.

Jenn 26-01-2012 03:13 PM

hello all, im taking a degree in business (UOL) currently. Part time.

How much should i ask for when I graduate? I am currently earning 2.2k in my current job with a diploma from local poly in public sector. Been here for 3 mths only.

Degree is very impt, no point going public sector with a dip, you're made to do really useless things which is repetitive and boring. degree doesnt matter where u get it, as long as you perform in your role will do :)

fritzzz 26-01-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn (Post 19996)
hello all, im taking a degree in business (UOL) currently. Part time.

How much should i ask for when I graduate? I am currently earning 2.2k in my current job with a diploma from local poly in public sector. Been here for 3 mths only.

Degree is very impt, no point going public sector with a dip, you're made to do really useless things which is repetitive and boring. degree doesnt matter where u get it, as long as you perform in your role will do :)

Depends on industry. Banking & Finance basic Associate program at $4.8k for frontline is min $7k.

If normal MNC or local blue chip $3.7-$4k.

If you still wana waste your life in public sector, whatever they offer you accept. There is no such thing as "ask for more" in public service.