aimless74 is on a distinguished road

hi 1973,

i took had some investment made in 2008 but not that much as u 500K
anyway it is depleting.
if u got a good business idea then go and do it, not many people are given
the opportunity and $$ to do it.
u got my support if u got a business idea to do a business
for investment, u are doing great, maybe u can swap it around
full time investment, secondary job own a business venture or work with something.

regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 View Post
the day job is 5k. The investment I am doing is considered a second job. Full time investor, even though I have some success already, I still consider there is an element of luck.....but that is what I am considering, however, since there is an element of luck in it...it is not guaranteed. But, there is nothing guarantee, many people just go out in their mid life and start their own business and strike it big....I am listening to your opinions here.

Old 30-08-2011, 06:54 PM

1973 is on a distinguished road

I don't think I have any good business idea. I am quite a sloppy person. If I am any good, is probably I am lucky enough to accomplish this little in investment.

I am thinking of buying a property when it starts to drop in price abit and then rent it out for a passive income. I am thinking of doing some tuition for extra income....and then my favourite...continue to focus more on investment.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Unregistered

Default some suggestion...

i think you may consider keeping the day job to ensure a steady flow of income, as the outlook for the coming 2-3 years is rather uncertain.

note that if a down-turn is coming, your worth might be reduced to where you have started if your asset is not mostly cash.

meantime, think about what you want to do with a full-time investment-based career. do you want to work for a financial institution? or you want to start your own firm and start managing portfolio for others? i feel that either way, you may need to get some 'certification' in terms of a master deg, or whatever CFA. granted, you may already have some knowledge, but sometimes they might need to see some papers.

property price is sg is unlikely to drop, it would just stop going up. it takes something really 'hard' to knock down the price of property, and by the time it happens, you may not want to buy. but using rental income to pay for mortgage is a brilliant idea. you may want to talk to an expert in the property market to get some info. i hope you have some friends in the field.

J

Old 04-09-2011, 07:56 PM

Thanks J for your kind suggestion.

As the saying goes, when there is great uncertainty, there is great opportunity. I think I see great opportunity within the uncertainty that even Tony Tan capitalised on for his presidential election theme.

There is always a bull market somewhere...

Basically, I am pondering if the job is worth keeping not so much of the steady income. To some of you, a job may be something one can focus on? Or is a representation of status? For my case, I do not think my job represents any social status. Or for some people, the job may be a mean for achieving self satisfaction.

I don't know about any full time investment career in an investment firms...Like what you say, I don't even have the papers. Who want to hire me? What I have in mind is private investment with my own money.

Property is just an idea to diversify some of my wealth. I am not willing to keep too much cash in bank or to investment all of them in stocks. Basically, a million dollars free hold condo at a good location can fetch a 3.5-4k monthly rental. Portion of the money that I do not want to take risk can be in the property.

Last edited by 1973; 04-09-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Unregistered

recession may be coming. With 1 million, and reinvested at a good timing, you probably can make it 2-3 million, then you can retire and live off the rental/dividends of 3 mil.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

in an very singapore uncle style of answer,

ayiah u can make so much money it means you are not dumb lah especially since u said u make so much money from stocks..somemore u say u can spot winners ... wa..must be like the oracle of ang mo kio like that...

i dont know if u r just trying to make people jealous or just showinh u make it..but those i know who make money like u said all know how they want to invest.... if not, they will not have made this amount in the first place....

and as for leaving your job... u already know what u want, so y ask.... u mean u really will leave your job if the whole forum tell u to leave meh ? cheah.. it is like everyone tell u to invest the market now, u will invest meh ?

i think u have brains, and some of us here also have.. so dont keep asking lah as we all know what we want.. go and help those whom really need help and stop make the others jealous

not meant to be rude .

Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 AM

alwaysnforever is on a distinguished road

I think you do not wish to leave your current job because it is still a steady source of income, albeit it is low to you. In that case, perhaps as you say, buying a property and renting it out can be the best option to keep a steady flow of income.

After a few years when you have paid off the entire cost of the apartment, u can sit back and just collect rent while you do your investing full time. Should work I guess
Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 PM

I am asking the question because there is no definite answer and I want to hear different perspective of what $1.5 millions mean, what a job means and what is life about.

The problem is that $1.5 millions isn't little but it is not really quite alot. Many average professional who make 100k annually can easily make that amount before they reach 50 years old. Another problem is that although I have some experience in investing, I know that it is not 100% guarantee. It is well possible that I may not make a single cents in the next 2 years.

The good thing about my job is that it has provided me with a safe stable income all these years while I work on investment. The problem with this job is that over the years, it start to get more demanding. Moreover, like what I have said, it is not a highly respected job. Actually, it is getting abit unbearable for me. That is why I am considering quiting this job for full time investment.

Maybe, in six months time, I may have 2.5 millions. Then the answer will be more straight forward.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 View Post
I am asking the question because there is no definite answer and I want to hear different perspective of what $1.5 millions mean, what a job means and what is life about.

The problem is that $1.5 millions isn't little but it is not really quite alot. Many average professional who make 100k annually can easily make that amount before they reach 50 years old. Another problem is that although I have some experience in investing, I know that it is not 100% guarantee. It is well possible that I may not make a single cents in the next 2 years.

The good thing about my job is that it has provided me with a safe stable income all these years while I work on investment. The problem with this job is that over the years, it start to get more demanding. Moreover, like what I have said, it is not a highly respected job. Actually, it is getting abit unbearable for me. That is why I am considering quiting this job for full time investment.

Maybe, in six months time, I may have 2.5 millions. Then the answer will be more straight forward.
As you alluded to earlier, doing well in investment needs some luck. If you are confident of being as lucky as you have been, then quitting your day job is fine.

People making 100k don't necessarily save the bulk of their income. If they save only 50k per year, it takes 30 years to reach your current level. You are already way ahead in the game, which perhaps makes it slightly easier to decide on whether to keep your day job.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:59 PM

In a few days time, or probably next week, after I make another confirmation, I'll share something here since some of you have requested and even private me.

I don't mind sharing with some of you people here. As I have said, in investment there is no 100% guarantee...but in life, how many guarantee do we get?