Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   a sad day for engineering (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1485-sad-day-engineering.html)

paymemore 27-08-2011 01:30 PM

a sad day for engineering

i hold a degree in engineering, with plenty of portfolio in software engineering. told my prospective employer that i can code in anything from andriod to apple devices to java. they were impressed with my engineering skills despite having no professional experiences. this is because, i am currently in the finance sector.

i asked my fellow course mates who are in this line, they are all paid at least 3 to 3.6k. so i requested for 3.5k and promised to work ot, weekends and to drive their sales. apps on the store can easily earn their revenue and a good mobile programmer definitely cost much higher.

however, they told me they can offer no more than 3k. i am currently drawing 3.3k in finance back-office, a comfortable and stress-free administrative environment with no ot. i think it makes no sense to do a job switch back. are andriod/apple programmers so dis-respected in the market? it's no wonder that sg engineers are facing sad times.

Unregistered 27-08-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paymemore (Post 15737)
i hold a degree in engineering, with plenty of portfolio in software engineering. told my prospective employer that i can code in anything from andriod to apple devices to java. they were impressed with my engineering skills despite having no professional experiences. this is because, i am currently in the finance sector.

i asked my fellow course mates who are in this line, they are all paid at least 3 to 3.6k. so i requested for 3.5k and promised to work ot, weekends and to drive their sales. apps on the store can easily earn their revenue and a good mobile programmer definitely cost much higher.

however, they told me they can offer no more than 3k. i am currently drawing 3.3k in finance back-office, a comfortable and stress-free administrative environment with no ot. i think it makes no sense to do a job switch back. are andriod/apple programmers so dis-respected in the market? it's no wonder that sg engineers are facing sad times.

Why do you want to switch from finance sector to engineering? Stay in the bank and move around within banking.

aimless74 27-08-2011 04:07 PM

hi paymemore,

be patient in the finance sector, at least your prospect is much better than a engineer. i see that u are doing much better in finance than in engineering.

Quote:

paymemore 27-08-2011 05:47 PM

i see potential in the mobile app stores. the ecosystem is growing steadily. a single game like angry birds can hit hundred of thousands of downloads yet the mechanics are simple.i decided to give a shot at being back as a programmer, creating software which people enjoy using. i released useful and free apps on both andriod and ios so experience is not a problem. as long as users are happy, i am happy.

finance can get boring at times, because u're doing the same thing and looking at numbers. i am wondering where i can find wise employers who are willing to pay for quality mobile developers.

aimless74 27-08-2011 06:18 PM

hi paymemore

i admire your skills and your drive in software development. if one day i required someone to help me in iOS or Android i will give u a shout.
i am currently still lose in making my next move. i hope to own a business
but i am still lose and trying to figure out what to do.

regrds

Quote:

Originally Posted by paymemore (Post 15743)
i see potential in the mobile app stores. the ecosystem is growing steadily. a single game like angry birds can hit hundred of thousands of downloads yet the mechanics are simple.i decided to give a shot at being back as a programmer, creating software which people enjoy using. i released useful and free apps on both andriod and ios so experience is not a problem. as long as users are happy, i am happy.

finance can get boring at times, because u're doing the same thing and looking at numbers. i am wondering where i can find wise employers who are willing to pay for quality mobile developers.

Unregistered 28-08-2011 09:13 AM

A sad life in engineering, not sad day

Quote:

if u are seeing disrespect to the engineers for this today, when u switch to engineering, u will be seeing & getting this disrespect every day, in your life, not only for 1 day.

Consider again. This is what the colonial mindset hangover we are still seeing in singapore even today, that anything foreign is any good.

Unregistered 29-08-2011 02:33 PM

either... or...

Hi,

You have very high enthusiasm in Apps and you seem to have experience in it, so why not treat it as an after-work business and continue to work on it and grow it as your own?

I think it's hard to find an employer who would have the vision as you do AND at the same time to give you a pay, given that this app business is very new and honestly, only a handful of the apps business are big. I saw most of them are very small business made up of 1-3 person. Well I may be wrong...

The only exception I could think of is, of course, Apple! Consider getting into the company by any position and work your way up.

J

Unregistered 29-08-2011 05:49 PM

Hmm, I think you should try start ups. They pay pretty well at least >5K.

Unregistered 29-08-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 15782)
Hmm, I think you should try start ups. They pay pretty well at least >5K.

I thought startups here don't pay well.

Unregistered 30-08-2011 11:09 AM

Really

If ur this passionate and good, why not go abroad and follow ur passion. Why stay in Singapore and look for something that sucks in Singapore.