Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

school teacher pay

Old 23-08-2011, 03:19 PM

dazzlego is on a distinguished road
Question school teacher pay

i am a (no honour) degree holder and thinking of taking nie cert next year
anybody can tell me how much is a school teacher earn per year after graduate from nie and how will it increase every year?
thanks

Old 23-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Unregistered

The pay of an MOE teacher in Singapore is always very reasonable. Go for it.

Ministry of Education, Singapore: Teaching as a Career: Career Information: Salary and Benefits

Old 23-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Unregistered

if you are only in it for the money, do not join teaching ...

Old 26-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlego View Post
i am a (no honour) degree holder and thinking of taking nie cert next year
anybody can tell me how much is a school teacher earn per year after graduate from nie and how will it increase every year?
thanks
Yup,it is critically important that you have the passion and aptitude for the job.To be honest,it is not as easy as it seems.You may even find that the number of hours that you put in may not commensurate with the salary.But you must not mind this and in fact go beyond for the sake of the students under your care.
I have a very close friend who joined the profession in 2005 as a mid career entrant.His pay then was $3.5k per month.Now he is drawing slightly close to $6k monthly.Certainly not the best in the world but he can make ends meet.But there is a ceiling in terms of pay unless you are promoted to leadership positions which will elevate the ceiling higher.But bear in mind that the ceiling is well below $10k per month even for heads of department.Do consider carefully and talk to people you know who are in the teaching profession before making a decision.
Old 26-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advisor View Post
Yup,it is critically important that you have the passion and aptitude for the job.To be honest,it is not as easy as it seems.You may even find that the number of hours that you put in may not commensurate with the salary.But you must not mind this and in fact go beyond for the sake of the students under your care.
I have a very close friend who joined the profession in 2005 as a mid career entrant.His pay then was $3.5k per month.Now he is drawing slightly close to $6k monthly.Certainly not the best in the world but he can make ends meet.But there is a ceiling in terms of pay unless you are promoted to leadership positions which will elevate the ceiling higher.But bear in mind that the ceiling is well below $10k per month even for heads of department.Do consider carefully and talk to people you know who are in the teaching profession before making a decision.
It's not as bad as you make it out to be. Making 100k shouldn't be a problem for a good performer. If you rise up to be a vice-principal or principal, the ceiling is around $200k. Moreover, many teachers are able to leave the service for a super rewarding (financially) career giving private tuition or starting tuition centres.

Read this article at asiaone:
Pay rise for teachers in new scheme

"For an experienced principal on the Senior Education Officer (SEO) Superscale "H", the annual pay package will increase from $168,000 to $193,000 for a good performer and from $185,000 to $218,000 for an outstanding performer."
Old 26-08-2011, 06:09 PM

dazzlego is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses. It helps alot.
I am sorry if there are people out there who think that I want to join teaching only for money. But I am really not. I just know nothing about this and that. I do have passion in teaching and I like kids too that's why I am considering this path to be my career.
Unfortunately I do not have anybody who work in this field (school teacher) to ask to. I only know people who work at tuition centre and I might end up teaching there if I am really OK to work in weekends (still thinking abt this too)

Old 28-07-2015, 06:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlego View Post
Thanks for the responses. It helps alot.
I am sorry if there are people out there who think that I want to join teaching only for money. But I am really not. I just know nothing about this and that. I do have passion in teaching and I like kids too that's why I am considering this path to be my career.
Unfortunately I do not have anybody who work in this field (school teacher) to ask to. I only know people who work at tuition centre and I might end up teaching there if I am really OK to work in weekends (still thinking abt this too)
Well, because you only ask about how much can a teacher earn, so naturally is all about money. If not you will be asking about the experience as a teacher instead (just saying)
Old 29-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's not as bad as you make it out to be. Making 100k shouldn't be a problem for a good performer. If you rise up to be a vice-principal or principal, the ceiling is around $200k. Moreover, many teachers are able to leave the service for a super rewarding (financially) career giving private tuition or starting tuition centres.

Read this article at asiaone:
[url=://.asiaone.com/Business/News/Office/Story/A1Story20080103-43468.html]Pay rise for teachers in new scheme[/

"For an experienced principal on the Senior Education Officer (SEO) Superscale "H", the annual pay package will increase from $168,000 to $193,000 for a good performer and from $185,000 to $218,000 for an outstanding performer."
While the numbers are correct, I just want to put into context that you really have to be outstanding performer to get into superscale H if you just join as a normal teacher that slowly moves up the ranks. We are talking about consistent performer in the top 3% bracket in terms of performance AND potential.

If you are just a normal good performer, i.e the kind that swings between average and good hovering from top 40% to top 20% kind you won't even come close to smelling a superscale H as your career will likely max out at HOD level.

Ultimately like most posters already say, teacher pay is good enough for a decent living, but don't go in there thinking that as long as you are good you will eventually become a principal on superscale.
Old 29-07-2015, 04:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
While the numbers are correct, I just want to put into context that you really have to be outstanding performer to get into superscale H if you just join as a normal teacher that slowly moves up the ranks. We are talking about consistent performer in the top 3% bracket in terms of performance AND potential.

If you are just a normal good performer, i.e the kind that swings between average and good hovering from top 40% to top 20% kind you won't even come close to smelling a superscale H as your career will likely max out at HOD level.

Ultimately like most posters already say, teacher pay is good enough for a decent living, but don't go in there thinking that as long as you are good you will eventually become a principal on superscale.
haha reminds me of my big sis who tell the whole family she wanna be a principal by 40 when she just start work. now already mid 30s just promote to subject head.
Old 30-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
haha reminds me of my big sis who tell the whole family she wanna be a principal by 40 when she just start work. now already mid 30s just promote to subject head.
Your sis already considered not bad, at least she has a chance to reach HOD level in her career. Many teachers don't even make it into management scheme end up being promoted to "senior" teacher.