Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

is 3rd class honors useful?

Old 24-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As a HR manager in an MNC who screens resumes, i have the following to say.

for fresh grads,

i look at the following in order:

1) relevance of degree

2) grades

The interviewees will be called for interview with the best grades first and lousiest grades last. Sometimes, before we call those with lousier grades to come for interview, we already employed the ones with better grades.

That's life.
then y still call them down for interview?
To waste their time?

Old 24-02-2013, 09:33 AM

lmaohaha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just to add on.

Most of the time hiring managers already know who they want to hire just by looking at the resume. They just need to confirm whether he/she is a nice person or someone who is troublesome to work with through the interview. Of course, a handsome/pretty face helps a lot too. First impressions count and no one ever said that looks do not matter.

In fact sometimes the ones with lousier grades are called for interview because HR has already arranged an interview with them.
Unless u r applying for a sales job, ur above statement is flawed. If im a director or hiring manager, i wldnt want model-like ppl to work in my coy. Lots of distractions and flirting ard which is not conducive for my working environment.

Old 24-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

the poster did not say the interviewee is model-like. He merely said a handsome or pretty face HELPS. This i totally agree, if you look decent and mature and look capable. Of course it helps too.

Looking good is always favourable, this is how the world works.

secondly, i think 3rd class honours is seriously farked up for government job, prepare for doomed stagnation once u peaked at a certain level only meant for 3rd class people.

Whether it is useful or not, depends on your personal capability to perform well in the private sector. but even now, private sectors are becoming picky too what with all the inflows of foreign talent. farked this ****.

Old 24-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
the poster did not say the interviewee is model-like. He merely said a handsome or pretty face HELPS. This i totally agree, if you look decent and mature and look capable. Of course it helps too.

secondly, i think 3rd class honours is seriously farked up for government job, prepare for doomed stagnation once u peaked at a certain level only meant for 3rd class people.

Whether it is useful or not, depends on your personal capability to perform well in the private sector. but even now, private sectors are becoming picky too what with all the inflows of foreign talent. farked this ****.
i agreed with u, my boss also hire ppl with reasonable presentation on the look department.
It is actually a motivation for the other workers to dress up and look presentable as well.
Old 24-02-2013, 03:39 PM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm not sure if public sector hires 3rd class hons graduates, however, if they do, u mean they actually categorize them? How bout first class and second upper? I mean in terms of progression.

Yea. I agree that private companies are rather choosy and the days of being able to land a job with average degree are long gone. From my experience, now they even state down minimum requirement of a good hons deg and some specifically state down that they only willing to consider min 2nd upper applicants esp MNCs . To add on, the starting salaries offered by private companies are not that attractive nowadays.
Old 25-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Unregistered

Hi, i'm back.

Simply put or bluntly put, everyone loves a pretty or handsome face anytime anywhere.

As for the government job and 3rd class honours, it's all farked up. seriously.

3rd class honours is worse than just having a pass degree. even second lower is on par as a pass degree. what are we even talking about?

If you have recently graduated like me and my friends, and have been searching and hunting for the past 6 months for job, you will know what the I am talking about.

the job market is saturated with good applicants, there is no room for the poor.

Old 26-02-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Hi, i'm back.

Simply put or bluntly put, everyone loves a pretty or handsome face anytime anywhere.

As for the government job and 3rd class honours, it's all farked up. seriously.

3rd class honours is worse than just having a pass degree. even second lower is on par as a pass degree. what are we even talking about?

If you have recently graduated like me and my friends, and have been searching and hunting for the past 6 months for job, you will know what the I am talking about.

the job market is saturated with good applicants, there is no room for the poor.
2nd upper scholarship holder...jobless here. Another of my senior 1st class also jobless. There is no diff. The only different is luck.
Old 26-02-2013, 07:39 AM

aspenx is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Graduated with a pass in NTU EEE 3years ago. A little out of touch but find your statement about 3rd class honours being worse than a pass curious. How is it so?
Old 26-02-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
Graduated with a pass in NTU EEE 3years ago. A little out of touch but find your statement about 3rd class honours being worse than a pass curious. How is it so?
Actually come to think of it the statement about 3rd class being worse than a pass degree is quite true. You can look at it in this way. If you belongs to those direct hons courses and getting a 3rd class simply means that you are among the lower end of the cohort and I suppose majority would have gotten at least a 2nd lower; 2nd lower is just a 3.5 and is really not difficult to achieve. Definitely there will be those who have been through the 4 years but ultimately not being rewarded with a 3rd class even, but those are really just a few.

I think not being in those direct hons courses could be beneficial at times for those not doing too well and wanna graduate earlier with just a pass degree, while others with better grades have the option of whether they wanna pursue an hons degree. I have friends who are 'trapped' in the these direct hons courses and they are obliged to complete the entire 4 years of studies without the guarantee of an hons status.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:32 PM

aspenx is on a distinguished road

I thought you were talking about someone with a pass from an honours program...

I'm one of "the few" that you mentioned then. Looking back, it wasn't that bad for me when I looked for my first job.

Good luck to you and your friends.