Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Constituency Manager (People Association) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1466-constituency-manager-people-association.html)

Unregistered 04-04-2013 02:29 PM

^ just quit your job.

Unregistered 04-04-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32949)
Just so happen that I chance upon this, I thought I'd input my 2 cents worth.

I'm currently a CM in one of the CCs around, armed with an SIM degree and I'm commanding about 3.6k (including allowance). As attractive as it might sound, there's always a price to pay, such as burning your weekends (at times consecutively for weeks), attending meetings on your off days, or having people calling you up out of office hours (eating or sleeping) to press you for stuff.

And the reason the position is always available is not because nobody is getting recruited, it's like many of you said, the high turnover rate. Many do not complete the 3-year contract upon employment, and even if they do, many do not want the promotion to a Deputy Director, as more time would be catered for work (as if a CM isn't bad enough), and end up staying for as long to 6 years not wanting a promotion.

I am one who is thinking of settling down with my partner in about a year's time, and this job has created some cracks in our relationship, thanks to all the time over the weekends in the office or somewhere else attending events and meetings.

However, having said all that, it depends on the CC you are posted to. If you're unlucky, you might encounter horrible grassroot leaders who scream at you, and directors who couldn't care less apart from saving their own ass.

And really, the position sounds very overrated, what we do here is nowhere what a manager in the public sector does. Having said that, I've decided to submit my resignation after CNY.

Happy Lunar New Year to all of you out there, and I hope this provides a decent (albeit a little biased) insight to the world of a Constituency Manager.

is this ur first job after graduation? Or got experience elsewhere before?

Really an insightful post btw

ignite111 04-04-2013 07:42 PM

Currently a fresh grad from mdis bba holding CM position drawing 2.7k + 450allowance. Was told that I will need to fulfill 40hrs to get the allowance, which is almost impossible...

I am thinking of quitting the job after 3 months. Any advices? This job certainly create many problems between my fiancée and I.

Unregistered 05-04-2013 09:30 AM

quit lor...

shaz 05-04-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ignite111 (Post 35271)
Currently a fresh grad from mdis bba holding CM position drawing 2.7k + 450allowance. Was told that I will need to fulfill 40hrs to get the allowance, which is almost impossible...

I am thinking of quitting the job after 3 months. Any advices? This job certainly create many problems between my fiancée and I.

Err... minimum working hours in public service is 42 hrs or 8.5 hrs per day... not sure what you're grumbling about... also, PA is still paying $2700 + 450 in 2013??? I was paid exactly that same starting salary when I was a CM (then called ACM) in 2005!!! LoL... I suggest you quit... like I did :p

Unregistered 05-04-2013 10:51 AM

You better run, run, run, run, run~

Unregistered 05-04-2013 05:36 PM

.......first day of work next week but I want to quit alr after reading all these...

Unregistered 05-04-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35312)
.......first day of work next week but I want to quit alr after reading all these...

so pay now is still 2700?

Unregistered 06-04-2013 02:18 AM

how does the allowance work for PA? Does one have to work extra hours to gain the allowance? From OT/meetings/events?

Very interested to join despite all the negative feedbacks because I just broke up...

I guess this job can keeps me damn busy and forget about all the hardships lol....

Unregistered 17-04-2013 12:14 PM

Interested in working as a Constituency Manager in PA again despite Rejected in 2009

Hi Kind brothers and sisters out there,

I have 3 enquiries and hope some kind soul can shed some light to my 3 questions below. Thanks alot.

1) Just thinking whether does PA require the Candidate to do a Medical Examination ( Health Checkup) before they decide to recruit the Candidate ?

2) I have been Shortlisted for Interview with People Association for the position of Constituency Manager at Year 2009. I have attended the first Interview but was not being shortlisted for the 2nd interview. I am still very interested in this position of Constituency Manager and thus wish to Apply for this position as a CM again Now in year 2013.
Just thinking whether my Chances of being shortlisted for an Interview again in year 2013 is High Or Not as I have been Rejected once by PA in year 2009 ?

3) Do People Association Do Reference Checks (eg calling Ex-Employers) before they decide to recruit the Candidate ?

Hope to hear from you all soon. Thanks alot for yr information and help :)

Unregistered 17-04-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35864)
Hi Kind brothers and sisters out there,

I have 3 enquiries and hope some kind soul can shed some light to my 3 questions below. Thanks alot.

1) Just thinking whether does PA require the Candidate to do a Medical Examination ( Health Checkup) before they decide to recruit the Candidate ?

2) I have been Shortlisted for Interview with People Association for the position of Constituency Manager at Year 2009. I have attended the first Interview but was not being shortlisted for the 2nd interview. I am still very interested in this position of Constituency Manager and thus wish to Apply for this position as a CM again Now in year 2013.
Just thinking whether my Chances of being shortlisted for an Interview again in year 2013 is High Or Not as I have been Rejected once by PA in year 2009 ?

3) Do People Association Do Reference Checks (eg calling Ex-Employers) before they decide to recruit the Candidate ?

Hope to hear from you all soon. Thanks alot for yr information and help :)

1) Yes

2) Dun think they care, turnover is so high they are always hiring anyway. But I advice you better reconsider, you are already got like 4-5 yrs exp elsewhere, why want to downgrade yourself to do a entry exec job?

3) Depend on heng suay, but nowadays because shortage of manpower sometimes they just go through motion and dun really care.

Unregistered 18-04-2013 10:26 AM

Still Interested As A Constituency Manager in People Association

Hi kind soul,

Thanks alot for answering my 3 questions. thanks alot for your Information :)

By the way, heard that People Association do have Written Test during Recruitment (probably in the 2nd round of Interview which I have Not been Shortlisted for 2nd Interview before in Year 2009). Any idea What is the Topic and what will be Tested in the Written Test ?

Hope someone kindly provide me with the Information as to my above Enquiry. Thanks alot for yr help :)

Celeste 18-04-2013 11:47 AM

My friend who is in PA commands a salary of > $4K leh (worked for abt 3 yrs plus). How come the salary u all post so different one ah....

Unregistered 18-04-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35896)
Hi kind soul,

Thanks alot for answering my 3 questions. thanks alot for your Information :)

By the way, heard that People Association do have Written Test during Recruitment (probably in the 2nd round of Interview which I have Not been Shortlisted for 2nd Interview before in Year 2009). Any idea What is the Topic and what will be Tested in the Written Test ?

Hope someone kindly provide me with the Information as to my above Enquiry. Thanks alot for yr help :)

why want to start from zero as CM again? ur better off applying for some other ministry or statboard job as Assistant Director with relevant exp

Unregistered 21-04-2013 09:25 AM

This job no simple. Go in easy go out difficult. Nowadays they looking for fresh graduates instead of experienced because they are cheaper to hire. Also if your DCD/CD happen to be demanding you will find yourself in the office everyday...busy until no time to resign...

Unregistered 21-04-2013 09:29 AM

The written test about how you handle demanding residents.
You might be asked to role play during interview. They will ask you about your CS experiences and real examples.

The person sitting in the middle is your future boss.

Unregistered 21-04-2013 01:17 PM

give u a big title and make sure hard for u to find jobs next time...so where u go?

Unregistered 23-04-2013 12:47 PM

Hi ,

Thanks alot for your Inputs about the Written Test on the Recruitment for Constituency Manager for People Association :)

Really Appreciate that :)

Yours sincerely,

Unregistered 02-06-2013 02:53 AM

Think thrice before enter this job. Really nowhere to go afterwards unless you suck thumb get lower rank, lower pay or even from scratch. If you worked for less than a year then don't even put in your resume. For your own good.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 12:21 PM

A lot of sad cases of ppl joining PA only to regret a few years later but no experience to join other industries.

There is a big difference between liking CCA / social activities casually as a hobby and actually doing the shiit everyday 24/7 as a job. Most outdoor extrovert make the mistake that just because they like to participate in this kind of thing means they can do it everyday for the next 40 years. By then already too late and waste precious time and hard to rebuild career after that.

Think twice.

Unregistered 04-06-2013 06:01 PM

Is there anyone, ANYONE AT ALL, that is still surviving in PA as a CM?

Unregistered 14-06-2013 04:03 PM

Hi all, i was a former PA staff, executive (but given some CM responsibilities zzz)... i was there for about 1.5 yrs, paid ard 3.1k (basic 2700 + 350 allowance) as diploma holder

The pay is good, but the work is absolutely horrible... you are the front-line sucker whom every resident will approach for their problems (be it lift breakdown, bed bugs, noisy neighbours...), and with the current No-wrong-door policy, you can't just direct them to the *correct* agencies; you need to follow up on their behalf. i have had people screaming at me cos both their HDB lifts broke down :(

And then there is the problems of the grassroots leaders you have to support... its really heng suay here: if you kena good hardworking people, you will have an easy time, cos they very "zai" in organizing events and managing their committee people, but if you really suay (like me lol), you need to do EVERYTHING for them.

Think about this, each committee has around 15 to 20 volunteers, and given KPI by PA HQ to hit every year (usually pertaining to events and resident outreach), but if they can't meet it, HQ will not blame them (they are only volunteers!!), HQ will blame YOU by downgrading your performance grading. So if your committee sucks, YOU will get to achieve all the KPIs by YOURSELF. All the best to that!

Don't even get me started on the MP you have to serve... that is another can of worms by itself...

I do know CMs and CMEs who are still working in PA after many years, but i guarantee you NONE of them like their job... most are there cos they got mouths to feed, and as mentioned by some, the experience is not easily transferrable to other organizations...

Therefore, for heaven's sake, DO NOT JOIN PA!!

Unregistered 14-06-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38628)
Hi all, i was a former PA staff, executive (but given some CM responsibilities zzz)... i was there for about 1.5 yrs, paid ard 3.1k (basic 2700 + 350 allowance) as diploma holder

The pay is good, but the work is absolutely horrible... you are the front-line sucker whom every resident will approach for their problems (be it lift breakdown, bed bugs, noisy neighbours...), and with the current No-wrong-door policy, you can't just direct them to the *correct* agencies; you need to follow up on their behalf. i have had people screaming at me cos both their HDB lifts broke down :(

And then there is the problems of the grassroots leaders you have to support... its really heng suay here: if you kena good hardworking people, you will have an easy time, cos they very "zai" in organizing events and managing their committee people, but if you really suay (like me lol), you need to do EVERYTHING for them.

Think about this, each committee has around 15 to 20 volunteers, and given KPI by PA HQ to hit every year (usually pertaining to events and resident outreach), but if they can't meet it, HQ will not blame them (they are only volunteers!!), HQ will blame YOU by downgrading your performance grading. So if your committee sucks, YOU will get to achieve all the KPIs by YOURSELF. All the best to that!

Don't even get me started on the MP you have to serve... that is another can of worms by itself...

I do know CMs and CMEs who are still working in PA after many years, but i guarantee you NONE of them like their job... most are there cos they got mouths to feed, and as mentioned by some, the experience is not easily transferrable to other organizations...

Wow I'm so surprise they offer you 2.7k even though you only have diploma. Just curious, there are always rumours that one can get to interact with a lot of big shot MPs and ministers working in PA and it can open career or political doors with the connections. Is this true? Are there many PA staff who high flyer career due to such connections?

Thanks for sharing.

Unregistered 14-06-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38628)

OMG DUDE HIGH FIVE! Exact situation as I do! I can vouch for that, this is what every CM facing. SOME CME are just lazy bums always hiding behind trying to slack off while we CM kena all the blames. Thank goodness I quit within 6 months I cannot stand getting blame for things I did not do wrong I got yelled off too. Those volunteers are the root of most problems!!!!! I detest this job with every bits of my life regret joining and further cannot include this "experience" in resume otherwise no one will hire me!! Makes me look like I slacked off 6 months of my life noo...but it is all well I already found a good job, less pay but surrounded by happy people treated equally by boss...so what for the high pay in PA you have to lower your head like a slave and do all the extra stuffs to please them...not to your boss but to VOLUNTEERS!!!!

Unregistered 14-06-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38629)
Wow I'm so surprise they offer you 2.7k even though you only have diploma. Just curious, there are always rumours that one can get to interact with a lot of big shot MPs and ministers working in PA and it can open career or political doors with the connections. Is this true? Are there many PA staff who high flyer career due to such connections?

Thanks for sharing.

2.7k because he have similar working experiences, right? Anyway, that is half true. When you want to switch career, you can go around asking and some will give you direct contacts but my advice is NOT to take them. Yes they may be attractive but you never know what they are talking behind your back...as you know this circle is very small you might not have a good time even when you jump over. Piece of advice once you leave, leave totally. Bon voyage.

Unregistered 14-06-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38095)
Is there anyone, ANYONE AT ALL, that is still surviving in PA as a CM?

I am. I have to hang onto this job until I saved enough money for my wedding :(

Unregistered 14-06-2013 05:47 PM

my female friend is very happy as a CM. lol. i dont know what you guys are whining about. shes at 3.6k now including allowances.

Unregistered 27-06-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 38638)
2.7k because he have similar working experiences, right? Anyway, that is half true. When you want to switch career, you can go around asking and some will give you direct contacts but my advice is NOT to take them. Yes they may be attractive but you never know what they are talking behind your back...as you know this circle is very small you might not have a good time even when you jump over. Piece of advice once you leave, leave totally. Bon voyage.

I started with 2.3k (not inclusive of allowance), and I have a blend of experience in various industries... and I was given a pay raise within 6 mths to 2.7k. Too good to be true? Just tells you how desperate they are in keeping people lol

As for the MP question, yes depending on your portfolio, you do have the chance to carry balls for Ministers and MPs, and there are people who were promoted because the MP they work for like their face and put in a good word for them... i guess if you dun mind getting progession thru building connections like this, it is a platform that can be used.... Nlot for me though, after working in PA and seeing what's behind the scene, I will vote Opposition all the way from now on LOL

Unregistered 10-08-2013 11:09 PM

I thought its compulsory to vote for PAP when you are working in PA?

Anyway, most of my colleagues are complaining, but not leaving because they can't find a better place to go.

Unregistered 11-08-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41055)
I thought its compulsory to vote for PAP when you are working in PA?

Anyway, most of my colleagues are complaining, but not leaving because they can't find a better place to go.

Don't sprout nonsense. Anyone can vote for any party. In fact, a rather prominent opposition member who was quite senior in the civil service said publicly that he voted for the opposition when he was still in the service.

Moreover, your vote is absolute secret. No one will ever know who you vote for. The ballot papers are all incinerated a few months after the elections. This is something that the government has done very well and I'm proud of it.

Unregistered 12-08-2013 03:45 PM

not quite true about absolute secret since all the votes have unique serial no. attached...

Unregistered 12-08-2013 06:01 PM

Is a CME also required to work during weeknights and weekends just like a CM?

Unregistered 20-08-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41144)
Is a CME also required to work during weeknights and weekends just like a CM?

yes cme is still required to.

Unregistered 21-08-2013 08:15 PM

how much is the starting pay now for nus fresh grad, 2nd lower?

Unregistered 01-09-2013 11:35 PM

Anyone know how it is like working as Assistant Manager in CDC? How is it different from Constituency Manager?

Unregistered 02-09-2013 05:38 PM

Constituency Manager is very "front-line", as you are usually the first person the grassroots will turn to, and also first point-of-contact for many grassroots events and activities... so you need to be a very people-person to enjoy it. Expect alot of fire-fighting as well... also, your office at the CC is usually very accessible, so expect your stakeholders to visit you very often lol (and make noises, complain, etc)

If I am not wrong, Assistant Manager in CDC is more back-end... your portfolio is quite similar to CM actually; you will still be involved in grassroots, community programmes and projects. However, grassroots will disturb you less, as if there are any issues, they will call their CM first lol

Think of the AM as a more high-class CM (do correct me if I am wrong on this comparison lol), though bear in mind CMs get shift allowance, while AM are office-hours and yet still expected to support events on weekends without additional allowance (off-in-lieu to compensate; but still irritating for those who dun like working on weekends).

I know some AMs who are very busy, and always kena weekend burn... so its not necessarily an easier job than CM

That is my limited understanding... do look out for others who can share more on this ;)

Unregistered 02-09-2013 05:53 PM

Whatever fancy names PA/CDC choose to call their workers, these jobs are essentially event logistic officers.

How much OT you clock, how busy you are, how much you get abused by customers really depend on luck and there is no way to generalise.

It all depends on who you supporting, what sort of event you kana arrowed and what sort of customers you happen to be dealing with. It is hard to conclude X is better than Y. It's like asking whether call centre operator at Starhub or M1 better, it all depends on individual situation - cannot generalise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41911)
Constituency Manager is very "front-line", as you are usually the first person the grassroots will turn to, and also first point-of-contact for many grassroots events and activities... so you need to be a very people-person to enjoy it. Expect alot of fire-fighting as well... also, your office at the CC is usually very accessible, so expect your stakeholders to visit you very often lol (and make noises, complain, etc)

If I am not wrong, Assistant Manager in CDC is more back-end... your portfolio is quite similar to CM actually; you will still be involved in grassroots, community programmes and projects. However, grassroots will disturb you less, as if there are any issues, they will call their CM first lol

Think of the AM as a more high-class CM (do correct me if I am wrong on this comparison lol), though bear in mind CMs get shift allowance, while AM are office-hours and yet still expected to support events on weekends without additional allowance (off-in-lieu to compensate; but still irritating for those who dun like working on weekends).

I know some AMs who are very busy, and always kena weekend burn... so its not necessarily an easier job than CM

That is my limited understanding... do look out for others who can share more on this ;)

Unregistered - Ms 05-09-2013 03:31 AM

3-year contract

Successful candidates will be given a 3-year contract.
Is it a must to complete the 3 year contract given?

If there any terms and condition that need to be fulfill if one is unable to complete the 3 year and quit in between the period of time?

I was being told by a friend who is a CM that you will need to inform them one year in advance if you are going to quit the job.

Unregistered 05-09-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered - Ms (Post 42035)
Successful candidates will be given a 3-year contract.
Is it a must to complete the 3 year contract given?

If there any terms and condition that need to be fulfill if one is unable to complete the 3 year and quit in between the period of time?

I was being told by a friend who is a CM that you will need to inform them one year in advance if you are going to quit the job.

Why dun you call the administrator directly, surely this is much better than random posting online?

I wouldnn't be surprise if they make it hard for people to resign. The turnover is so atrocious over there that most people are likely to quit in less than a year.

Honestly you dun seem like you really have passion in grassroots and community service, if you are just signing on because they are the first to offer you, my advice is reject and move on. People who have no interest and just treat this like a normal job will burn out in a few months from the daily abuse and long hours.

Unregistered 06-09-2013 12:03 PM

PA is hiring. How much does a deputy director earn?