Constituency Manager (People Association) - Page 11 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Constituency Manager (People Association)

Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Unregistered

Is there anyone, ANYONE AT ALL, that is still surviving in PA as a CM?

Old 14-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Unregistered

Hi all, i was a former PA staff, executive (but given some CM responsibilities zzz)... i was there for about 1.5 yrs, paid ard 3.1k (basic 2700 + 350 allowance) as diploma holder

The pay is good, but the work is absolutely horrible... you are the front-line sucker whom every resident will approach for their problems (be it lift breakdown, bed bugs, noisy neighbours...), and with the current No-wrong-door policy, you can't just direct them to the *correct* agencies; you need to follow up on their behalf. i have had people screaming at me cos both their HDB lifts broke down

And then there is the problems of the grassroots leaders you have to support... its really heng suay here: if you kena good hardworking people, you will have an easy time, cos they very "zai" in organizing events and managing their committee people, but if you really suay (like me lol), you need to do EVERYTHING for them.

Think about this, each committee has around 15 to 20 volunteers, and given KPI by PA HQ to hit every year (usually pertaining to events and resident outreach), but if they can't meet it, HQ will not blame them (they are only volunteers!!), HQ will blame YOU by downgrading your performance grading. So if your committee sucks, YOU will get to achieve all the KPIs by YOURSELF. All the best to that!

Don't even get me started on the MP you have to serve... that is another can of worms by itself...

I do know CMs and CMEs who are still working in PA after many years, but i guarantee you NONE of them like their job... most are there cos they got mouths to feed, and as mentioned by some, the experience is not easily transferrable to other organizations...

Therefore, for heaven's sake, DO NOT JOIN PA!!

Old 14-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, i was a former PA staff, executive (but given some CM responsibilities zzz)... i was there for about 1.5 yrs, paid ard 3.1k (basic 2700 + 350 allowance) as diploma holder

The pay is good, but the work is absolutely horrible... you are the front-line sucker whom every resident will approach for their problems (be it lift breakdown, bed bugs, noisy neighbours...), and with the current No-wrong-door policy, you can't just direct them to the *correct* agencies; you need to follow up on their behalf. i have had people screaming at me cos both their HDB lifts broke down

And then there is the problems of the grassroots leaders you have to support... its really heng suay here: if you kena good hardworking people, you will have an easy time, cos they very "zai" in organizing events and managing their committee people, but if you really suay (like me lol), you need to do EVERYTHING for them.

Think about this, each committee has around 15 to 20 volunteers, and given KPI by PA HQ to hit every year (usually pertaining to events and resident outreach), but if they can't meet it, HQ will not blame them (they are only volunteers!!), HQ will blame YOU by downgrading your performance grading. So if your committee sucks, YOU will get to achieve all the KPIs by YOURSELF. All the best to that!

Don't even get me started on the MP you have to serve... that is another can of worms by itself...

I do know CMs and CMEs who are still working in PA after many years, but i guarantee you NONE of them like their job... most are there cos they got mouths to feed, and as mentioned by some, the experience is not easily transferrable to other organizations...

Wow I'm so surprise they offer you 2.7k even though you only have diploma. Just curious, there are always rumours that one can get to interact with a lot of big shot MPs and ministers working in PA and it can open career or political doors with the connections. Is this true? Are there many PA staff who high flyer career due to such connections?

Thanks for sharing.

Old 14-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

Quote:

OMG DUDE HIGH FIVE! Exact situation as I do! I can vouch for that, this is what every CM facing. SOME CME are just lazy bums always hiding behind trying to slack off while we CM kena all the blames. Thank goodness I quit within 6 months I cannot stand getting blame for things I did not do wrong I got yelled off too. Those volunteers are the root of most problems!!!!! I detest this job with every bits of my life regret joining and further cannot include this "experience" in resume otherwise no one will hire me!! Makes me look like I slacked off 6 months of my life noo...but it is all well I already found a good job, less pay but surrounded by happy people treated equally by boss...so what for the high pay in PA you have to lower your head like a slave and do all the extra stuffs to please them...not to your boss but to VOLUNTEERS!!!!
Old 14-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wow I'm so surprise they offer you 2.7k even though you only have diploma. Just curious, there are always rumours that one can get to interact with a lot of big shot MPs and ministers working in PA and it can open career or political doors with the connections. Is this true? Are there many PA staff who high flyer career due to such connections?

Thanks for sharing.
2.7k because he have similar working experiences, right? Anyway, that is half true. When you want to switch career, you can go around asking and some will give you direct contacts but my advice is NOT to take them. Yes they may be attractive but you never know what they are talking behind your back...as you know this circle is very small you might not have a good time even when you jump over. Piece of advice once you leave, leave totally. Bon voyage.
Old 14-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Is there anyone, ANYONE AT ALL, that is still surviving in PA as a CM?
I am. I have to hang onto this job until I saved enough money for my wedding

Old 14-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Unregistered

my female friend is very happy as a CM. lol. i dont know what you guys are whining about. shes at 3.6k now including allowances.
Old 27-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
2.7k because he have similar working experiences, right? Anyway, that is half true. When you want to switch career, you can go around asking and some will give you direct contacts but my advice is NOT to take them. Yes they may be attractive but you never know what they are talking behind your back...as you know this circle is very small you might not have a good time even when you jump over. Piece of advice once you leave, leave totally. Bon voyage.
I started with 2.3k (not inclusive of allowance), and I have a blend of experience in various industries... and I was given a pay raise within 6 mths to 2.7k. Too good to be true? Just tells you how desperate they are in keeping people lol

As for the MP question, yes depending on your portfolio, you do have the chance to carry balls for Ministers and MPs, and there are people who were promoted because the MP they work for like their face and put in a good word for them... i guess if you dun mind getting progession thru building connections like this, it is a platform that can be used.... Nlot for me though, after working in PA and seeing what's behind the scene, I will vote Opposition all the way from now on LOL
Old 10-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

I thought its compulsory to vote for PAP when you are working in PA?

Anyway, most of my colleagues are complaining, but not leaving because they can't find a better place to go.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I thought its compulsory to vote for PAP when you are working in PA?

Anyway, most of my colleagues are complaining, but not leaving because they can't find a better place to go.
Don't sprout nonsense. Anyone can vote for any party. In fact, a rather prominent opposition member who was quite senior in the civil service said publicly that he voted for the opposition when he was still in the service.

Moreover, your vote is absolute secret. No one will ever know who you vote for. The ballot papers are all incinerated a few months after the elections. This is something that the government has done very well and I'm proud of it.