Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Official 2022 Retrechment thread (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/14655-official-2022-retrechment-thread.html)

Unregistered 22-06-2022 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223032)
grab oso laying off

don't heard any news leh!

Unregistered 22-06-2022 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 222995)
Apocalypse apocalypse, shopee laying off

u talkin g abt SG or overseas. Overseas is old news liao.

Unregistered 22-06-2022 05:21 PM

Google sg and Meta laying people off as well.

Unregistered 22-06-2022 06:00 PM

they lay off people who matter or all the overseas noname cert one ???

Unregistered 22-06-2022 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223061)
Google sg and Meta laying people off as well.

for real? got any source

Unregistered 22-06-2022 08:51 PM

Singapore crypto exchange Bybit to cut up to 30% of workforce

Unregistered 22-06-2022 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223078)
for real? got any source

i have 2 alumnis who got into meta working there for many years now as E4 and E5 Devs and they are getting laid off, along with at least 20 other people. Their friends in google also getting fired.

i mean not sure how to prove this to you lol, if i give u their linkedin thats quite weird also eh... so up to u if u want believe or not bro.

Unregistered 22-06-2022 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223084)
i have 2 alumnis who got into meta working there for many years now as E4 and E5 Devs and they are getting laid off, along with at least 20 other people. Their friends in google also getting fired.

i mean not sure how to prove this to you lol, if i give u their linkedin thats quite weird also eh... so up to u if u want believe or not bro.

just put their linkedin here, may be will get headhunter too

Unregistered 22-06-2022 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223086)
just put their linkedin here, may be will get headhunter too

LOOOOOOOOOOL hahah thanks for the laugh bro

Unregistered 22-06-2022 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223084)

ok, thanks for info

they are senior SWEs? i guess they were earning alot and it is cheaper to hire fresh grads

Unregistered 22-06-2022 10:39 PM

all these jelly ppl Faang rejects fearmongering. must be rejected thats why salty

swes are irreplaceable one. wont get laid off one. in this modern day and age every company deploys tech. cs is the new iron rice bowl. cs = computer science, not civil service!

Unregistered 23-06-2022 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223094)
all these jelly ppl Faang rejects fearmongering. must be rejected thats why salty

swes are irreplaceable one. wont get laid off one. in this modern day and age every company deploys tech. cs is the new iron rice bowl. cs = computer science, not civil service!

now days no need lawyer, doctor to become higher salary job

Unregistered 23-06-2022 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223091)
ok, thanks for info

they are senior SWEs? i guess they were earning alot and it is cheaper to hire fresh grads

like i said they are E4 and E5 devs so,

E4 is the higher end of junior dev
E5 is senior, e6 is manager / principal

also im not sure why you or a few others here think that its cheaper to hire fresh grads. let me enlighten you, if you own a FAANG-Level business and you have people with 2-3 years of experience, they know your company culture, in and out, they get along well with others and do well at their job hence why they are still in your company after the mandatory 6 months probation and yearly review where they are known to cut people, ( Amazon also does this )

does it make any sense to you, whatsoever, to fire your staffs and replace them with freshers who

1. have 0 real working experience? most freshers only have internship experiences and those don't count as "full-time" working experiences. interns also don't ever touch any production releases stuffs at any reputable tech companies, why? because it's a huge risk and a massive headache for senior devs to babysit them. So they do some random internship project that no one cares about, often referred to as "POCs", proof of concept.

2. get paid lower yeah but can negotiate pay... so even if you give this guy the lowest title, SWE1 junior or whatever equivalent, this guy can still negotiate with you right? and get the highest end of that salary band he/she is tied to? whats next? you hire this guy, who has 0 clue how your company works, u get some senior to onboard him, that's time off that senior's dev... if that senior is getting paid a lot, you are basically paying that senior $$$$ just to onboard this new guy.

In the long run you are basically wasting money and time.

Lay offs at FAANG-like companies happen because teams get dissolved due to objective changes. it has nothing to do with $$$$. FAANG companies are not like Grab or Shopee, they are not some garbage tech company that are either backed up by investors ( grab has been losing profit for many years, shopee started in 2015 and only rose so high thanks to covid, their product / services are literally garbage and have full of competitors )

Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc have been around for decades. What's Google's competitor? yahoo? bing? lol give me a break, no one uses their garbage. Facebook competitor? Myspace? dead, Tiktok? maybe but until Tiktok learns how to let business users sell their products ( facebook fan page equivalent, facebook ads equivalent ), boomers to create social circles ( facebook group equivalent, etc ), facebook will still always be preferred among the majority of users.

I can list many examples but you get my point.

So no, FAANG don't lay people off because of $$. Companies like shopee, grab, yes but FAANG? no.

Unregistered 23-06-2022 11:36 AM

Already said shopee grab lazada all these are garbage but people don't want to believe. FAANG or bust bro

Unregistered 23-06-2022 11:43 AM

companies in funding stage a mostly garbage. only a minority will make it past the initial stage

Unregistered 23-06-2022 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223136)
Already said shopee grab lazada all these are garbage but people don't want to believe. FAANG or bust bro

agreed but there are still decent tech companies out there,

IBM, HP, Dell, Autodesk, etc have all been around for decades

IBM been around for what? 100+ years? yea this company wouldnt suddenly die like shopee

Unregistered 23-06-2022 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223139)
agreed but there are still decent tech companies out there,

IBM, HP, Dell, Autodesk, etc have all been around for decades

IBM been around for what? 100+ years? yea this company wouldnt suddenly die like shopee

But IBM Dell not sexciting . Now gen Z all wan to drink latte at shopee headquarters work in china sweatshop n drink 996 kool aid

Unregistered 23-06-2022 09:29 PM

what other tech coys retrenching?

Unregistered 24-06-2022 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223173)
what other tech coys retrenching?

Netflix lays off 300 more employees in latest round of cuts

Unregistered 24-06-2022 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223148)
But IBM Dell not sexciting . Now gen Z all wan to drink latte at shopee headquarters work in china sweatshop n drink 996 kool aid

While your observation is not wrong, it's understandable for youngsters and fresh grads to be lured in by the consumer-facing tech and software companies. Between boring ol' IBM or SAP or Oracle vs Netflix or Shopee or Bytedance, which sounds more exciting to the typical Gen Z? These guys have grown up on consuming entertainment on iPads.

Plus, youngsters still have the energy to tahan the unreasonable 996 work culture. Especially with videos and Tiktoks glamorizing the 996 work culture and 'cool frat boy / frat girl' environment, it's easy for fresh grads to get lured in. It's only when they're slightly older and wanna start families then they decide on a more relaxed corporate culture.

Unregistered 24-06-2022 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223213)
While your observation is not wrong, it's understandable for youngsters and fresh grads to be lured in by the consumer-facing tech and software companies. Between boring ol' IBM or SAP or Oracle vs Netflix or Shopee or Bytedance, which sounds more exciting to the typical Gen Z? These guys have grown up on consuming entertainment on iPads.

Plus, youngsters still have the energy to tahan the unreasonable 996 work culture. Especially with videos and Tiktoks glamorizing the 996 work culture and 'cool frat boy / frat girl' environment, it's easy for fresh grads to get lured in. It's only when they're slightly older and wanna start families then they decide on a more relaxed corporate culture.

completely wrong.

IBM dont hire fresh grads because most of them are hot garbage and the ones that are talented and good wont even go to a company like IBM when they can go FAANG.

you're using some weird ancdeotal evidence like "starting family" and some baseless info from tiktoks saying 996 lol, you seem like the typical moron who falls for ******** influencer nonsense.

here are some facts

shopee mass hires NTU / NUS kids, on their career portal, there's a specific JD that provides at least 100+ vacancies. every quarter they send some representative to also head-hunt CS NTU and NUS kids.

it only make sense that they would go to shopee since they are more open to hiring.

Unregistered 24-06-2022 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223219)
completely wrong.

IBM dont hire fresh grads because most of them are hot garbage and the ones that are talented and good wont even go to a company like IBM when they can go FAANG.

you're using some weird ancdeotal evidence like "starting family" and some baseless info from tiktoks saying 996 lol, you seem like the typical moron who falls for ******** influencer nonsense.

here are some facts

shopee mass hires NTU / NUS kids, on their career portal, there's a specific JD that provides at least 100+ vacancies. every quarter they send some representative to also head-hunt CS NTU and NUS kids.

it only make sense that they would go to shopee since they are more open to hiring.

Everything you wrote supports the reasons that OP listed as to why fresh grads tend to go to places like Shopee. Apart from the unwarranted besmirching of "most" fresh grads as "hot garbage", which says more about you than anything.

Who is the moron here I wonder?

Unregistered 24-06-2022 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223219)
completely wrong.

here are some facts

agreed

shopee mass hire, anyhow pay fresh grad 8-10k lol crazy, confirm not sustainable one la no wonder layoff so many people

2 sems ago they come to my uni also, ask us want be PM or not, then they invite some PM guy who keep flexing his money LOL like big fk, say shopee is so prestigious like that in the end all my friends i know who went shopee kenna lay off already last month

Unregistered 24-06-2022 05:31 PM

Heard all the crypto firms cutting left and right…

Unregistered 24-06-2022 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223213)

you dont talk cock la , youngsters got energy to tahan 996 ? u must be a stupid boomer , nowadays genz only wan easy money u think they can tahan anything and work hard ? fk off la

Unregistered 24-06-2022 07:37 PM

Shopee loh, I thought they only hire 2nd upper and above? Got so smart people there still cannot?

Unregistered 24-06-2022 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223254)
agreed

shopee mass hire, anyhow pay fresh grad 8-10k lol crazy, confirm not sustainable one la no wonder layoff so many people

2 sems ago they come to my uni also, ask us want be PM or not, then they invite some PM guy who keep flexing his money LOL like big fk, say shopee is so prestigious like that in the end all my friends i know who went shopee kenna lay off already last month

feels good to hear arrogant shopee employees laid off

Unregistered 24-06-2022 09:02 PM

Quote:

agreed

lololol shopee pee pee

Unregistered 24-06-2022 10:16 PM

Quote:

agreed

actually where are the sources that shopee devs are being laid off in singapore? so far all hearsay rumors only. u sound like a jelly second lower who didnt manage to get in.

Unregistered 24-06-2022 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223260)
you dont talk cock la , youngsters got energy to tahan 996 ? u must be a stupid boomer , nowadays genz only wan easy money u think they can tahan anything and work hard ? fk off la

and you sound like a lazy bum.

there are actually young people who are strivers and want to chiong as much as they can in their 20s. rightly or wrongly. but it's still their life their choice.

not you obviously slacker.

Unregistered 24-06-2022 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223293)
actually where are the sources that shopee devs are being laid off in singapore? so far all hearsay rumors only. u sound like a jelly second lower who didnt manage to get in.

The guy literally said "all my friends i know who went shopee kenna lay off already last month" lmfao learn 2 read kid

Unregistered 25-06-2022 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223304)
The guy literally said "all my friends i know who went shopee kenna lay off already last month" lmfao learn 2 read kid

verified and reliable source la. an anon poster on salary.sg doesn't count in my book.

ur probably one of the dum dums who believes every crap you read online like those antivax boomers

Unregistered 25-06-2022 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223317)
verified and reliable source la. an anon poster on salary.sg doesn't count in my book.

ur probably one of the dum dums who believes every crap you read online like those antivax boomers

to be fair rly got news articles la

s://.cnbc.com/2022/06/23/southeast-asia-start-ups-lay-off-workers-amid-economic-uncertainty.html

try googling stuff

Unregistered 25-06-2022 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223317)

dunno why sinkies like to always compare some crazy hyperbole to fit into their argument

IE: if u *disagree*, you are *insert some crazy nonsense here*

u ok anot? anytime someone say something u dont agree with u just go to the extreme is it? use ur fking brain la learn how to talk wtf fking asian beta

Unregistered 25-06-2022 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223337)
dunno why sinkies like to always compare some crazy hyperbole to fit into their argument

u ok anot? anytime someone say something u dont agree with u just go to the extreme is it? use ur fking brain la learn how to talk wtf fking asian beta

Someone doesn't know the meaning of "hearsay rumours". I hope you get accused of molest one day based on hearsay rumours from online forums too lolol.

Get your IQ checked pls

Unregistered 25-06-2022 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223337)

Call ppl sinkie but u urself type like sinkie 🤡

Unregistered 25-06-2022 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223293)

100% agreed!

Anyone who talks **** about shopee = must be a dumb fk reject

salty rejects lolololol

if u disagree with me means u like to kill puppies

amazing, truly singaporean moment!

Unregistered 26-06-2022 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223367)
100% agreed!

Anyone who talks **** about shopee = must be a dumb fk reject

salty rejects lolololol

if u disagree with me means u like to kill puppies

amazing, truly singaporean moment!

This guy has enough salt to fulfill Singaporeans' need for the next 10 years

Unregistered 26-06-2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223456)
This guy has enough salt to fulfill Singaporeans' need for the next 10 years

Cry harder Shopee reject.

Unregistered 27-06-2022 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223362)
Call ppl sinkie but u urself type like sinkie 🤡

How old already still use emoji