Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Need some advice if I should early quit

Old 24-05-2022, 08:59 PM
Verified Member

djhaller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I saw that advertised on instagram of all places lol, anyway i took a look at the website, do note that it is a traineeship so make of that what you will. it is unlikely you will gain much valuable experience in there as it is only 18 months long (training included) during which you will be attached to FI (again, unlikely you will be attached to a good proj).

The saving grace however is that the training allowance is 5.5k for some tracks and 4.5k for the others. Altho as a trainee you are ineligible for bonuses and CPF contributions.

Would say NCS is a more permanent option and less risky compared to TFIP as the traineeship partner FI might not take you in, but then again u might luck into somewhere like JPM so also quite rewarding. At the end of the day its your call.
Yes, you are right that this is a traineeship. But as you said, that is only provided if I am enrolled into good companies like JP Morgan as mentioned.

Of course there are some cons such as the lack of CPF and not being covered under the Employment Act.

Quote:
You are still early in your career. Think of plausible career paths and what interests you. Then see if you can explore those areas in your job. Can do this job first then slowly apply other places that you want to go to. If you have your aspirations, don't get too comfortable in this routine and remember your aspirations.

Check your contract carefully, make sure you have the best outcome if you choose to leave now or a few years later. Especially on the training reimbursement if any.
Noted on that. I guess I am just feeling too indecisive and insecure at this point of time

Old 25-05-2022, 08:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Anyone has information how much average performance bonus one working at engineering company - Chip Eng Seng
Main Con normally dun pay out high bonus….total bonus doubt will exceed 2 months yearly

Old 25-05-2022, 10:38 PM
Unregistered

When interviewing for nucleus position in NCS, HR will say their pay is "competitive". FYI, the offer package for nucleus fresh grads before april was 4.8k with 1-5 months bonus as compared to 4.8k now with 1-3 months bonus. Hence, total compensation from NCS actually decreased. Also, for fresh grads who start work before april, their basic salary of 4.8k has a 7.5% adjustment to 5.16k. So 4.8k now with the current pay structure is very low, even DBS SEED/ST Engineering has better compensation than NCS, and they are not hard to enter.

My advice to you is that you can, just accept NCS offer now, then at any point of time, serve notice period and leave if you got better offer. NCS might blacklist you, but you most probably wont be going back to a system integrator who lowball employees anyway.

Old 25-05-2022, 11:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhaller View Post
Well, they offer me for the software engineer role but it is under nucleus. And so the pay is 4.8k
Which uni u from and what is ur course? Also what is ur class of honours for the degree?
Old 26-05-2022, 02:13 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Which uni u from and what is ur course? Also what is ur class of honours for the degree?
I from Murdoch Uni, CS major
Old 26-05-2022, 10:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhaller View Post
I from Murdoch Uni, CS major
In that case, you are being offered the same package as a 4 year local U second upper comp science graduate in NCS. About NCS nucleus contract, during first three months of probation, can give two weeks notice without reason to leave(for better job offer etc.). After probation can give one month notice to leave.

There is zero penalty in leaving the program at any point in time, so don't be scared.

Old 31-05-2022, 05:15 PM
Unregistered

I am an ex-NCS employee whom underwent Nucleus.

I would say NCS is a good place to start and learn as a fresh graduate. I would encourage anyone to join NCS as a fresh graduate.

For me, my advice is not to look so much into salary at this point of time. I would suggest you to look for opportunities which can allow you to grow quickly. NCS has a good structure in training and development. And I did not regret joining them.

Anyway, $4.8k is already a decent figure I feel. They were only offering 4k to 4.1k 2 years ago.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:49 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
I am an ex-NCS employee whom underwent Nucleus.

I would say NCS is a good place to start and learn as a fresh graduate. I would encourage anyone to join NCS as a fresh graduate.

For me, my advice is not to look so much into salary at this point of time. I would suggest you to look for opportunities which can allow you to grow quickly. NCS has a good structure in training and development. And I did not regret joining them.

Anyway, $4.8k is already a decent figure I feel. They were only offering 4k to 4.1k 2 years ago.
Hi, could I kindly ask which route you took (software engineering, infrastructure enrg?)
And if you don't mind, can you share how long you stay in the program before you quit?

Also to your another question, I am not factoring the high pay (at least meets market rate) but what I primarily am looking for is growth + guidance, especially the latter as I know that I myself am lacking eg. Not knowing Angular, Spring etc
Old 01-06-2022, 07:41 PM
Unregistered

I went for software engineering route.

Went Nucleus for 5 weeks. Then after Nucleus, they will enrol you into this 5 year NUS ISS Stackable Master programme. You can search it up in NCS website. I completed the first year of the programme, got a graduate diploma for completing. FYI, the 5 year programme has no bond with NCS and it is absolutely FOC for employees.

The bad thing of NCS is, the work environment is based on the project that you are allocated in (and they have a lot projects). And usually you will know your posting after u finished the Nucleus programme. I was fortunate enough to join a project which is suitable for fresh graduate, learning tech stacks which are in demand.

But in terms of training + development, I would say NCS is doing well at this. They are also structured to allocate a career manager to you. In a event where you are not happy with your role, be it your project or colleagues, you may highlight to your career manager. They will do something to help you.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I went for software engineering route.

Went Nucleus for 5 weeks. Then after Nucleus, they will enrol you into this 5 year NUS ISS Stackable Master programme. You can search it up in NCS website. I completed the first year of the programme, got a graduate diploma for completing. FYI, the 5 year programme has no bond with NCS and it is absolutely FOC for employees.

The bad thing of NCS is, the work environment is based on the project that you are allocated in (and they have a lot projects). And usually you will know your posting after u finished the Nucleus programme. I was fortunate enough to join a project which is suitable for fresh graduate, learning tech stacks which are in demand.

But in terms of training + development, I would say NCS is doing well at this. They are also structured to allocate a career manager to you. In a event where you are not happy with your role, be it your project or colleagues, you may highlight to your career manager. They will do something to help you.
What about the working culture? OT/Micro management? etc . At least from your experience.