Medical lab job (medical technologist) - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Medical lab job (medical technologist)

Old 29-03-2022, 11:38 PM
Verified Member

Juann is on a distinguished road
Default Medical lab job (medical technologist)

Hi everyone,

May I know how's the work for MLT that focused on Clinical Biochemistry? Is it difficult to learn the machine/analyser used in clinical biochemistry since I don't any experience in clinical biochemistry lab before. Is the job interesting? since mostly need to handle machine.
And how about the next career prospect?

I getting interview for MLT in clinical biochemistry. So, I would like to know more about it.

And fyi, I'm more interested in microbiology. I have working experience in food microbiology lab. But not sure should I also apply for MLT in medical microbiology lab. Bcz I thinking want to try working in real medical lab. And currently I working in Covid lab but my contract will going to end soon.

Can anyone give some feedback on the work so that I can have a clear idea on my next step.

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2022, 10:09 PM
Unregistered

I previously worked in a hospital lab but have since resigned.

It's pretty much a routine job, there are several benches and you will rotate around the different benches depending on the roster. You will get to learn the different instruments and most of the time you feel like a robot going through motions day in day out. Not to worry about the assays and analysers as there will be training given and one has to pass the competency before you are allowed to perform the tests alone.

Pros:
-Stable industry, bonuses and increment are pretty much standard every year, so you don't have to worry about company going bust and not paying bonuses.
-Permanent position for most staff.
-Easy to job-hop to other labs since all hospitals have a clinical chem section, but do note that there is no pay increment if you jump from one public hospital to another. This is an unspoken rule.
-Don't have to bring work home to do most of the time, since it's a operation role, once you handover your shift, you can shut off.
-Reasonable number of leave at 21 days, as your number of years of service increases, it can go up til 25 days or even 28 days (for higher job grade).
-Apply to do Masters and get sponsorship from hospital, in return, you will be bonded for a number of years.

Cons:
-Clinical chemistry labs are 24/7, so you have to do shift work, including working on PH and weekend. 3 rotating shifts, morning shift, afternoon shift and night shift. You will get allowance and meals if you are working night shift/weekend/PH. You will also be asked to be on standby on certain days and if someone takes MC, then you will be called in to work.
-Leave has to plan one year in advance. If there are several people putting down the same dates, then you have to go through balloting. Hard to take ad-hoc leave as you will need to find someone to swop working day with you.
-Physically tiring as you have to be on your feet for almost the entire day.
-Mistakes made are detrimental as it impacts on patient's clinical diagnosis.
-Promotion is very slow, and you have to be exceptionally good before being considered for promotion.

For the hospital which I worked in previously, the turnover rate for clinical lab is quite high, youngsters usually don't stay for long, most work for 1 to 2 years and move on. As the number of manpower decreases, staff are asked to work for extended period of time without going for a break.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:00 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I previously worked in a hospital lab but have since resigned.

It's pretty much a routine job, there are several benches and you will rotate around the different benches depending on the roster. You will get to learn the different instruments and most of the time you feel like a robot going through motions day in day out. Not to worry about the assays and analysers as there will be training given and one has to pass the competency before you are allowed to perform the tests alone.

Pros:
-Stable industry, bonuses and increment are pretty much standard every year, so you don't have to worry about company going bust and not paying bonuses.
-Permanent position for most staff.
-Easy to job-hop to other labs since all hospitals have a clinical chem section, but do note that there is no pay increment if you jump from one public hospital to another. This is an unspoken rule.
-Don't have to bring work home to do most of the time, since it's a operation role, once you handover your shift, you can shut off.
-Reasonable number of leave at 21 days, as your number of years of service increases, it can go up til 25 days or even 28 days (for higher job grade).
-Apply to do Masters and get sponsorship from hospital, in return, you will be bonded for a number of years.

Cons:
-Clinical chemistry labs are 24/7, so you have to do shift work, including working on PH and weekend. 3 rotating shifts, morning shift, afternoon shift and night shift. You will get allowance and meals if you are working night shift/weekend/PH. You will also be asked to be on standby on certain days and if someone takes MC, then you will be called in to work.
-Leave has to plan one year in advance. If there are several people putting down the same dates, then you have to go through balloting. Hard to take ad-hoc leave as you will need to find someone to swop working day with you.
-Physically tiring as you have to be on your feet for almost the entire day.
-Mistakes made are detrimental as it impacts on patient's clinical diagnosis.
-Promotion is very slow, and you have to be exceptionally good before being considered for promotion.

For the hospital which I worked in previously, the turnover rate for clinical lab is quite high, youngsters usually don't stay for long, most work for 1 to 2 years and move on. As the number of manpower decreases, staff are asked to work for extended period of time without going for a break.
Hi.

Just want to ask about the working hours. How does it works? How many days did you need to work per week? And how many days is the off days? During the off days, did you need to be prepare to do OnCall or overtime?

Previously, how many staffs in your department? And how many teams?

Thanks

Old 03-07-2022, 12:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juann View Post
Hi.

Just want to ask about the working hours. How does it works? How many days did you need to work per week? And how many days is the off days? During the off days, did you need to be prepare to do OnCall or overtime?

Thanks
not the op. but typical working hours for MT is 40 hours per week.
one shift is 8 hours. so about 5 shifts per week. (a mix of day, afternoon and night shifts)
yes need to work weekends. but if weekend work, means weekday off.

on call some times.

some times need OT, but can claim.
total staff for each lab can vary from 80 plus to 100 plus or even 200 plus for the tertiary hospitals for labs with multiple storeys

teams depends on dept/sections. heme, special heme, chem, immunoassay, special chem, urine, pandemic, bloodbank, micro, molec, cilent specimen management/sample reception, histo, cyto etc etc

but basically pay itself is quite standardised.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi.

Thanks
Typical working hours is about 40 hours, but sometime you will be asked to come back on your off days due to lack of manpower, you will be compensated with off days. Usually don't need to OT much, but sometime got to stay back to finish some extra admin work.

Oncall meaning on standby? Yea if someone call in sick, then you will be asked to come down to work, but you will know by a given timing.

Morning shift is around 8 to 5, afternoon shift is around 12 to 9 and night shift is around 8 to 8 thereabouts.

Off days mean your AL? typically all newcomer start with 21 AL, the highest you can go is 28 days, depending on your length of service and job grade.

How big is the department will depend on the size of the hospital. General hospital like NUH and SGH definitely have more staff. for the hospital im working, its about 150 to 200 ppl, including med tech, med scientists, pathologists, admin staff etc. clinical chem section itself about 50 odd people?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 05-07-2022, 11:30 AM
Verified Member

But what will happen if they ask to come back to work during your day off and you cannot make it because you got something else?

Will they still force you to come?

Old 05-07-2022, 05:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
But what will happen if they ask to come back to work during your day off and you cannot make it because you got something else?

Will they still force you to come?
the military police will come to your house
to arrest u for AWOL

Of course not.

They recall somebody else, then ppl will hate u
Coz u unreliable.

If valid reason okie, if whim and fancy
I think can give u a poor grading
Old 09-07-2022, 11:13 AM
Verified Member

Does Medical technologist need to work alone?
Because I went to interview before (for Molecular dept) , and the interviewer said night shift to work alone. It is true?

And does the working hour is like 5days straight work , 2days off? Sorry, I just want have a clear idea on the duty roster and the work hours.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Does Medical technologist need to work alone?
Because I went to interview before (for Molecular dept) , and the interviewer said night shift to work alone. It is true?

And does the working hour is like 5days straight work , 2days off? Sorry, I just want have a clear idea on the duty roster and the work hours.
Not sure whether is it 5 days straight then 2 days off cos I don't work in clinical chem, but I know of colleagues who have to work >5 days straight due to lack of manpower.

Yes night shift you will be alone, cos not so much samples, 1 staff will do. downside is if things get busy, you alone need to tank everything, however good thing is night shift is more chill, quieter, can play music to pass time, bosses/management not around. 1 night shift staff per section, eg 1 in blood bank, 1 in haem, 1 in biochem.

Our molecular dept dont have night shift.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 09-07-2022, 10:37 PM
Unregistered

Some people like to do night shift, specifically request to do perm night, cos only need to work 3 or 4 days per week. However some don't, especially if its 3 rotating shifts, screw up your biological clock. I feel that perm night its still not so bad, worse combi is PM-AM shift, imagine leaving work at 9pm the day before then you need to report to work the next morning at 8am. Hence the turnover rate in hospital labs for med tech is high, cos of the rotating shift, fast paced environment and politics.