Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   almost 30 years old and no job experience (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/14486-almost-30-years-old-no-job-experience.html)

pokey93 24-03-2022 02:39 PM

almost 30 years old and no job experience

spent my 20s trying to qualify for esports tournaments and decided not to be a professional gamer even after being invited to a major tournament.

Currently studying cyber security degree and will most probably graduate with a credit or distinction overall, should I put what I tried to do in my 20s in my resume? else the gap is quite big

Unregistered 24-03-2022 02:50 PM

Interviewers are likely to ask what you have been doing prior to applying for the job, I would say no harm putting it into your resume so you don't have to go through the rigor of explaining the gap year(s) during a F2F interview.

Unregistered 24-03-2022 03:16 PM

Put in. Good experience leh, speaks a lot about your character! Aizai!

Unregistered 24-03-2022 03:47 PM

Put!

But make sure it is really full-time training for E Sports and you can prove it.

Never find job because of hikkikomori behaviour doesn't count.

pokey93 24-03-2022 03:48 PM

No choice, parents forcing me to get industry experience before starting up.
Don't really understand fully why they couldn't take out some of their 3 million dollars in assets for me to start up but I also think that more experience and knowledge is always better

pokey93 24-03-2022 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210115)
Put!

But make sure it is really full-time training for E Sports and you can prove it.

Never find job because of hikkikomori behaviour doesn't count.

It's not training, I was joining tournaments as an individual competitor, my IGN can be found on google and wiki of the game that I tried competing for

Unregistered 24-03-2022 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokey93 (Post 210116)
No choice, parents forcing me to get industry experience before starting up.
Don't really understand fully why they couldn't take out some of their 3 million dollars in assets for me to start up but I also think that more experience and knowledge is always better

Lmao. In short, just another ASK whom is out to get 'life experiences' la. Nothing to worry about la, no wonder can pursue E Sports.

But actually why not finding some roles in E Sports? I'm sure there are plenty of non-Player roles like Marketing etc.

pokey93 24-03-2022 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210119)
Lmao. In short, just another ASK whom is out to get 'life experiences' la. Nothing to worry about la, no wonder can pursue E Sports.

But actually why not finding some roles in E Sports? I'm sure there are plenty of non-Player roles like Marketing etc.

My parents' advice is to study further as much as I need for my industry's preference and to study what is going to be in demand for the next 30-50 years so I will be able to be a good role model for my children and not lose out in a recession.

I am actually worried because they want me to go through things the normal way and will not provide any help at all, only advice and education.

I might consider finding some roles in ESports after I graduated but I would like to listen to and follow their advice because they got what they have based on their own efforts, so I am thinking of going into mobile gaming app development after I graduated since the industry is growing a lot.

pokey93 24-03-2022 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210102)
Interviewers are likely to ask what you have been doing prior to applying for the job, I would say no harm putting it into your resume so you don't have to go through the rigor of explaining the gap year(s) during a F2F interview.

Thanks, that is really helpful

Unregistered 24-03-2022 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokey93 (Post 210126)
My parents' advice is to study further as much as I need for my industry's preference and to study what is going to be in demand for the next 30-50 years so I will be able to be a good role model for my children and not lose out in a recession.

I am actually worried because they want me to go through things the normal way and will not provide any help at all, only advice and education.

I might consider finding some roles in ESports after I graduated but I would like to listen to and follow their advice because they got what they have based on their own efforts, so I am thinking of going into mobile gaming app development after I graduated since the industry is growing a lot.

I think the Mobile Gaming app developer route; or rather mobile app developer, is definitely
a workable route you can pursue. And with your innate interest, it's even easier.