Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Contract from sme (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1432-contract-sme.html)

evonneadams 20-07-2011 12:12 PM

Contract from sme

HI!

As this is my first job, I actually landed myself in a SME and it was a total regret.

I had to sign a contract of 2 years which only ends in 2013. I cannot take even another day now!

This contract has nothing more than the regular working benefits and I still have to pay if I break the bond.

I know I was dumb to sign it as it was my first job that I jumped in. And i realized that many of my colleagues are in the same trap too.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? to pay less or actually pay nothing at all.

This is not benefiting me in any way. But to my boos in every way (of course) and it's making me uneasy every second!

Please help! I wanna leave this place ASAP!

Unregistered 20-07-2011 12:34 PM

A contract is a contract. You signed it you have to honour it, otherwise you'll face the consequences. How much does it cost to break the contract? Can you gather a few colleagues and negotiate a breakaway deal? The boss will be afraid if there's mass resignation. If there's wrong doing on the boss's part, you can use it as bullets during negotiation.

Does the contract say anything about the scenario if you are sacked? if you don't have to pay a penalty when you are fired, you can do such a lousy job and piss you boss off every day till he willingly sacks you.

Unregistered 20-07-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 14445)
A contract is a contract. You signed it you have to honour it, otherwise you'll face the consequences. How much does it cost to break the contract? Can you gather a few colleagues and negotiate a breakaway deal? The boss will be afraid if there's mass resignation. If there's wrong doing on the boss's part, you can use it as bullets during negotiation.

Does the contract say anything about the scenario if you are sacked? if you don't have to pay a penalty when you are fired, you can do such a lousy job and piss you boss off every day till he willingly sacks you.

Bad advice.

Unregistered 20-07-2011 04:44 PM

Kindly state why you felt so bad about this company that you have contracted? Are they ill-treating you? if yes, you can file a formal complain to MOM.

SMEs do have their pros and cons. Infact you might learn and exposure to much more as most SME are lean and small without many levels of management and red-tapes to go thru.

As for performing badly and waiting to be sacked. That the worst idea. Ask yourself, how big is Singapore. You never know the bad name you create for yourself now will come to haunt you years later. So please don't. Always exit nicely.

evonneadams 21-07-2011 09:40 AM

well, you see, these are the following things that are happening in the company now.

-there is no career advancement because the only person i can take over is my boss.
-I'm not ill-treated, just that i signed up to be a marketing coordinator. but im doing dispatch services, courier services, administrative work almost all the time. i did not sign up for that.
-exposure wise, NONE. there's nothing theyre exposing me to.

of course i dont want to be fired cos it's a bad way of getting out of a company.
but the thing is now that im 20 years old. am i still considered a minor to sign a contract? i really do need help in this. ):

Unregistered 21-07-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evonneadams (Post 14485)
well, you see, these are the following things that are happening in the company now.

-there is no career advancement because the only person i can take over is my boss.
-I'm not ill-treated, just that i signed up to be a marketing coordinator. but im doing dispatch services, courier services, administrative work almost all the time. i did not sign up for that.
-exposure wise, NONE. there's nothing theyre exposing me to.

of course i dont want to be fired cos it's a bad way of getting out of a company.
but the thing is now that im 20 years old. am i still considered a minor to sign a contract? i really do need help in this. ):

Congrats! Seems like you've found a bullet you can use to leave the company without any penalty!

According to the following site, contracts with minors (defined as under 21years) are not enforceable generally:
Singapore Contract Law

Why didn't your boss know that?

Unregistered 21-07-2011 01:30 PM

Sorry, to clarify: if you had a guarantor when you signed the contract, then it's still enforceable against the guarantor.

evonneadams 21-07-2011 05:10 PM

OHMYGOD are you serious?!

I didnt have ANY guarantor!

I wanna hug all of you right now! you just SAVED me!

<3

Unregistered 21-07-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evonneadams (Post 14500)
OHMYGOD are you serious?!

I didnt have ANY guarantor!

I wanna hug all of you right now! you just SAVED me!

<3

good luck and all the best.

Joe123 22-07-2011 11:04 AM

hows the story? what's the end story? did you get what you wanted?