Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Is it the norm to ask for pay increases with every job hunt? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1430-norm-ask-pay-increases-every-job-hunt.html)

miwashi 19-07-2011 06:11 PM

Is it the norm to ask for pay increases with every job hunt?

For the last 5 years I have sent out 280+ applications and only got 2 job offers, and both came with pay cuts, either $800 or $1000 from my current job.

Today I attended another interview, and the HR director asked me, 'why are you stating your currently drawn pay as your expected pay?'

I was stumped, and thought she was hinting that they could only offer less.

Then she explained, 'usually everyone would state an increased amount as their expected salary'.

This is totally new to me, given my situation where the only offers I get come with major major pay cuts.

Are you supposed to indicate a higher expected salary than your current nowadays?

Unregistered 19-07-2011 08:26 PM

isn't it always been like that because you have job experiences?

miwashi 19-07-2011 09:08 PM

I'm applying for jobs in a totally different industry.

undiscern 19-07-2011 10:52 PM

Norm is at least 15% more than your current monthly pay.

Unregistered 19-07-2011 11:59 PM

Broadly (very broadly) speaking,
Moving within similar industries: +10 to 20%
Jumping to academic except uni: -20 to -10%
Jumping to other industry varies greatly. This is where a person's network pays off.

miwashi 20-07-2011 08:35 AM

my ex-colleague jumped to academic teaching and she got a pay increase. Strange.

undiscern 20-07-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 14435)
my ex-colleague jumped to academic teaching and she got a pay increase. Strange.

Nothing strange, it could only mean that her previous pay is low and below that of her peers.

miwashi 20-07-2011 05:59 PM

I was just wondering what kind of industry you can hop into if you've worked at these places. Some are quite self-explanatory, while others have me stumped.

MOE/schools/universities - education/training/instructional design/research industry

MOH/hospitals/HSA/HPB - healthcare/health admin/research industry industry

IPOS - ?

A-star - ?

MOM/WDA - ?

MHA/SCDF/Police/CNB - is there any private industry that uses experience from there?

undiscern 20-07-2011 06:05 PM

Actually it depends on the job function within the ministry or stat board. Say someone doing strategic planning, he or she will be very mobile as the skill set is very portable.

Unregistered 21-07-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 14421)
For the last 5 years I have sent out 280+ applications and only got 2 job offers, and both came with pay cuts, either $800 or $1000 from my current job.

Today I attended another interview, and the HR director asked me, 'why are you stating your currently drawn pay as your expected pay?'

I was stumped, and thought she was hinting that they could only offer less.

Then she explained, 'usually everyone would state an increased amount as their expected salary'.

This is totally new to me, given my situation where the only offers I get come with major major pay cuts.

Are you supposed to indicate a higher expected salary than your current nowadays?

Everyone has different opinions... but I will never move without increments... (it is one of my first push factor)..