Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Chinese backed tech company WLB in Singapore (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/14169-chinese-backed-tech-company-wlb-singapore.html)

theRealHentie 17-10-2021 10:03 AM

Chinese backed tech company WLB in Singapore

We all know 996 is a real deal in China, but I am not sure to what extent this toxic work culture is in Singapore.

Shopee, SEA are strongly backed by China tech giant Tencent iirc. We also have Ant Group and Bytedance hiring locally.

If you are a Programmer/SWE working in one of these companies, what is your experience of WLB? Are you expected to 996?

Also, wondering what the base pay, and what the RSU/Bonus package is, if you are willing to share (Along with your relevant YOE).

Unregistered 17-10-2021 11:04 AM

What is your current salary then? You ask for something but you share nothing

Unregistered 17-10-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186747)
What is your current salary then? You ask for something but you share nothing

I don't think the logic is right, I am happy to share if someone asked, but by asking a question no one should expects you to pour everything out first.

But since you asked, I get 5.4 base 0 YOE at a US tech MNC.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 12:02 PM

Why not login to your account and post where you work at and ur last drawn salary so that I can check if that's really you or some other nolife nerd pretending to be TS.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 12:17 PM

Funny how no one is answering OP's question.
996 is real in China tech films even in SG. I feel like I might die anytime cuz of burnout. Might quit soon.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theRealHentie (Post 186744)
We all know 996 is a real deal in China, but I am not sure to what extent this toxic work culture is in Singapore.

Shopee, SEA are strongly backed by China tech giant Tencent iirc. We also have Ant Group and Bytedance hiring locally.

If you are a Programmer/SWE working in one of these companies, what is your experience of WLB? Are you expected to 996?

Also, wondering what the base pay, and what the RSU/Bonus package is, if you are willing to share (Along with your relevant YOE).

Shopee is terrible. Only foreigners should work there.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 12:41 PM

You can easily earn more than 5.4 at shopee or bytedance. Base 6k to 7.5k base. Rsu will be 0 if your interview performance is average. 10k per year if it is good. Bonus 10% to 15%.

996 is real cause of peer pressure.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 01:11 PM

The idea of 996 is just horrible and should be made illegal, if it isn’t already is.

965 is the maximum anyone should be working.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 01:50 PM

It is very common in bigtech as well especially someone in the high rank like principal engineer. They work like 12 to 14 hours a day and I can see them online on weekends. But their pay is like 500k+ a year.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 01:59 PM

Join civil service or statboard if you just want a 9 to 5 job. But you need to be aware that their total comp is lower as well, which reflects the jiak liao bee workload.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186766)
Join civil service or statboard if you just want a 9 to 5 job. But you need to be aware that their total comp is lower as well, which reflects the jiak liao bee workload.

most govt jobs are actually 830-6, or 9-630 lol

Unregistered 17-10-2021 02:24 PM

I dont work 996, but for those who do, do you think its worth it?
You are working more hours to get higher pay, how is the actual pay if you consider it as per hour?

I honestly think 965 of a decently paid job is good enough, spend the rest of the time on business ideas and projects, that might pay off way better.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186756)
You can easily earn more than 5.4 at shopee or bytedance. Base 6k to 7.5k base. Rsu will be 0 if your interview performance is average. 10k per year if it is good. Bonus 10% to 15%.

996 is real cause of peer pressure.

What do you mean by 10% to 15% bonus? Is it 10% to 15% of annual total salary?

Unregistered 17-10-2021 04:13 PM

So can anyone answer my question? Why so many Unregistered losers talking?

I forgot my password so can't login right now

theRealHentie 17-10-2021 05:48 PM

^ I did post #3 but I did not post #14, this nerd should get a life.
But I would really appreciate if I can get more relevant answers to the topic. If you have worked in a company with good WLB and decent pay, what is it and would you recommend it?

kim1995 17-10-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theRealHentie (Post 186744)

Hey man, I don't work in these companies but I have friends who do, if you don't mind, I'll share their experiences with you.

The 996 culture isn't true for Singapore, yes I know people at shopee OT a lot, some even come on Weekends but it's not a MUST. That needs to be cleared up...

As for the pay, Bytedance pays above 6k with 0 YOE. It's true, I have a NTU grad friend who got it. For Shopee it depends, not all SWE get 6k or above 5k. I have heard of people getting 4.5k.

Sorry I can't give you any more info than that, none of my friends will share their TC, only their base pay with me...

So yeah if you have the chance, go for Bytedance definitely. The pay is amazing, WLB is not that awful tbh, I'd say it's similar to DBS. ( Some OT, etc )

Unregistered 17-10-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186765)
It is very common in bigtech as well especially someone in the high rank like principal engineer. They work like 12 to 14 hours a day and I can see them online on weekends. But their pay is like 500k+ a year.

The pay sounds awesome but 12 hours a day is a red flag major no no.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 07:14 PM

Even if u want it, they are most likely not want to hire u lol. At that level, you have a lot of options, people will call you left and right.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim1995 (Post 186796)
Hey man, I don't work in these companies but I have friends who do, if you don't mind, I'll share their experiences with you.

The 996 culture isn't true for Singapore, yes I know people at shopee OT a lot, some even come on Weekends but it's not a MUST. That needs to be cleared up...

As for the pay, Bytedance pays above 6k with 0 YOE. It's true, I have a NTU grad friend who got it. For Shopee it depends, not all SWE get 6k or above 5k. I have heard of people getting 4.5k.

Sorry I can't give you any more info than that, none of my friends will share their TC, only their base pay with me...

So yeah if you have the chance, go for Bytedance definitely. The pay is amazing, WLB is not that awful tbh, I'd say it's similar to DBS. ( Some OT, etc )

ByteDance pay is high or low 6k?

Unregistered 17-10-2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186811)
ByteDance pay is high or low 6k?

Have heard of 6.8k thereabout

Unregistered 17-10-2021 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186817)
Have heard of 6.8k thereabout

This pay range is from which year? Asking cos may increase due to increasing demand for tech talent over the years.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186820)
This pay range is from which year? Asking cos may increase due to increasing demand for tech talent over the years.

Not the op but would comment that they are a good enough pay master if you have the right skills. Focus on getting the offer first

Unregistered 17-10-2021 10:07 PM

Even 10k is not enough to justify 996.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186821)
Not the op but would comment that they are a good enough pay master if you have the right skills. Focus on getting the offer first

TS here.

So basically you don't know anything but felt the need to give me the most useless sinkie advice ever, thanks for nothing, scum.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 10:35 PM

Interviewed with bybit before, 996 is real over there, because the CTO himself asked me if I know chinas work culture? I did not accept the offer.

Unregistered 17-10-2021 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186831)
TS here.

So basically you don't know anything but felt the need to give me the most useless sinkie advice ever, thanks for nothing, scum.

LOL loser, go get a job first

Unregistered 17-10-2021 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186842)
LOL loser, go get a job first

that guy damn guai lan but i have to agree, ur advice abit stupid leh, tell him focus on offer first? like simi lj sia the guy ask for pay nia u tell him focus on offer

like that we got salary forum for fk, just tell everyone focus on offer first? u agree or not? u abit stupid bro no offense

Unregistered 18-10-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186849)
that guy damn guai lan but i have to agree, ur advice abit stupid leh, tell him focus on offer first? like simi lj sia the guy ask for pay nia u tell him focus on offer

like that we got salary forum for fk, just tell everyone focus on offer first? u agree or not? u abit stupid bro no offense

Lol you're the dumbass. The poster is basically saying that if you get the offer the number is going to be something good enough for you. If cannot get, tell you 20k per month got use?

Unregistered 18-10-2021 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186871)
Lol you're the dumbass. The poster is basically saying that if you get the offer the number is going to be something good enough for you. If cannot get, tell you 20k per month got use?

Are you gonna cry non-stop just because people disagree with you?

Also, there's no 20k a month pay in SWE, you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Unregistered 18-10-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186874)
Are you gonna cry non-stop just because people disagree with you?

Also, there's no 20k a month pay in SWE, you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Man you're even more stupid than I gave you credit for. Feel free to jump off a building after breakfast later :)

Unregistered 18-10-2021 09:06 AM

Wow, I posted to ask him to focus on getting the offer first because the package would be one of the best in class as a graduate. Knowing if it is 7k or 6k will not matter much because it will depend on how you demonstrate value and you have little negotiating power

He certainly does not act like someone who is qualified for such a role

theRealHentie 18-10-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186831)
TS here.

Lol get a life instead of pretending to be someone else, I didn't even know what TS is before I made this post, and so many people are pretending to be me. I will not post without logging in.

Anyway I think I gathered quite some valuable feedbacks from the informative comments. To conclude, 996 is real deal even in SG, just maybe not 996 but like 986?

I think if you calculate the time spent to income ratio, a 996 7k package is not really better than a 965 5k package. (996 is 288 hours a month and 965 is 180 hours a month. Pay per hour for 996 7k is $24 while 965 is $27)

I have not gotten bytedance nor shopee offer but because I did not apply, I want a life outside work, and their 996 image is hard stuck in me.

I am thinking of doing side projects or create things that I like using the time I saved from not doing 996. Might not get as much money but I think I will be happier.

theRealHentie 18-10-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186821)

I don't agree with this, in fact I think its quite stupid. You want to understand a company's culture before you apply, not after you go through 3-5 rounds of interviews then you start thinking "Do I even want to work in this culture?" Interview takes time and effort, and your advice is telling people to waste time and effort.

If you don't like a company's culture, do not apply, period.

Unregistered 18-10-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theRealHentie (Post 186896)
I don't agree with this, in fact I think its quite stupid. You want to understand a company's culture before you apply, not after you go through 3-5 rounds of interviews then you start thinking "Do I even want to work in this culture?" Interview takes time and effort, and your advice is telling people to waste time and effort.

The question was specifically focusing on pay though...

Unregistered 18-10-2021 10:35 AM

You will learn a lot more especially in bytedance and there will be a lot more opportunities in the future. It is not about the pay per hour. There are limited things that you can learn by yourself like scaling the massive and complex system from ground up. 5 years down the road, the guy from bytedance will earn a lot more than someone from DBS seed because of their expertise.

Anw i think you have a slim chance to get bytedance offer. There are so many applicants that even if you are good, chances are still low. I know quite a lot of NUS first class honours and dean listers get rejected from bytedance.

Unregistered 18-10-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186875)
Man you're even more stupid than I gave you credit for. Feel free to jump off a building after breakfast later :)

No one agrees with you here lol even TS disagrees.

Yet you still press on, damn, imagine being this delusional.

Unregistered 18-10-2021 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theRealHentie (Post 186896)

Exactly LOL

that guy really stupid af. ask for pay, he say "get offer first" LOL simi lj?

Unregistered 18-10-2021 10:46 AM

If you want to get the best bucks per hour, i suggest you to take DBS seed or civil service. You can work like 10 hours a week and you will be fine.

Unregistered 18-10-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 186902)
No one agrees with you here lol even TS disagrees.

Yet you still press on, damn, imagine being this delusional.

It amazes me how obtuse you are. Are you an alumni of Path light?

Unregistered 18-10-2021 11:29 AM

Lol a bunch of unregistered users cannot even tell who is who

Someone pretending to be TS also? LOL!