Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Jobless for a long long time (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/14137-jobless-long-long-time.html)

MrGoat 06-10-2021 09:58 PM

Jobless for a long long time

Hi everyone,

I am a 37 year old male who has been jobless for a long long time. Ever since I dropped out of college about 12 years ago, I have been jobless (!). Recently, I am starting to feel bored with my lifestyle and joblessness, and am thinking of looking for work. Do you guys think it is still possible for someone like me to get a job ? I have no skills or experience except for working for 3 months as a waiter a few years back ... Thanks ...

Unregistered 06-10-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGoat (Post 185466)
Hi everyone,

I am a 37 year old male who has been jobless for a long long time. Ever since I dropped out of college about 12 years ago, I have been jobless (!). Recently, I am starting to feel bored with my lifestyle and joblessness, and am thinking of looking for work. Do you guys think it is still possible for someone like me to get a job ? I have no skills or experience except for working for 3 months as a waiter a few years back ... Thanks ...

Not sure if you're a troll but can you explain why you are jobless for 12 years? To drop out from college, means you have basic education. Surely it cant be impossible to not get a job. At 37 , your body should be fit enough to do some labour work. You may want to work part time and try out different kind of jobs before your body restricts you due to old age.

MrGoat 06-10-2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185470)
Not sure if you're a troll but can you explain why you are jobless for 12 years? To drop out from college, means you have basic education. Surely it cant be impossible to not get a job. At 37 , your body should be fit enough to do some labour work. You may want to work part time and try out different kind of jobs before your body restricts you due to old age.

Why do you automatically assume I am a troll?? After dropping out of college, I was feeling quite depressed. I thought I had a bright future ahead but blew it by failing one of the required classes ... Anyway I guess my pride came into play, and I didn't want to apply for the lower-paying, non-degree jobs. A long story short, I became a recluse and stayed at home playing computer games and surfing the internet for the next 12 years. Now, I am trying to get back into society but don't know whether I can still find suitable work ... I applied for some entry sales jobs too but got rejected from all of them , the only jobs I was accepted for was F and B jobs, (being a waiter, cook etc). I tried it for 3 months but didn't really like it ... Any advice ?

Unregistered 06-10-2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGoat (Post 185473)
Why do you automatically assume I am a troll?? After dropping out of college, I was feeling quite depressed. I thought I had a bright future ahead but blew it by failing one of the required classes ... Anyway I guess my pride came into play, and I didn't want to apply for the lower-paying, non-degree jobs. A long story short, I became a recluse and stayed at home playing computer games and surfing the internet for the next 12 years. Now, I am trying to get back into society but don't know whether I can still find suitable work ... I applied for some entry sales jobs too but got rejected from all of them , the only jobs I was accepted for was F and B jobs, (being a waiter, cook etc). I tried it for 3 months but didn't really like it ... Any advice ?

Well there are many trolls in this forum. Just had to be sure. Anyways, you could try out manufacturing. They usually mass hire but depending on the economy you may have to be retrench. Maybe you could try that out for a month or two. Then see if you are suitable for that kind of job. If not, you can try out the safe entry person located at malls or companies. Job seems pretty straight forward. Sit there and ensure employees scan their safe entry. Or be those vaccination people who ushers people at vaccination centers. Since now there is booster shots for elderly, they probably requires people.

Unregistered 06-10-2021 10:54 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Definitely possible with so many gigs now! (e.g. Grab food delivery, Lalamove delivery...)

Unregistered 06-10-2021 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185479)
Definitely possible with so many gigs now! (e.g. Grab food delivery, Lalamove delivery...)

Yes, you are right. MrGoat can try out those too!

Unregistered 06-10-2021 11:30 PM

Lawl epic loser. Your parents really suay max to give birth to you this charsiew

Unregistered 06-10-2021 11:50 PM

Yep better to just jump off a building, perhaps MBS

Unregistered 06-10-2021 11:59 PM

Just ignore the naysayers here. Am glad that you are taking the first step :) you can do this!

Unregistered 07-10-2021 12:00 AM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Wow, I guess your parents are the ones supporting you all this time. They should be retiring soon I guess. Timing-wise, you came out to look for work at a bad time. Yes, there are many gig jobs, but due to the massive number of ppl doing it, companies have scaled down the commissions. It means fewer jobs per gig worker with smaller commissions.

Sales is low entry, but currently, there are a lot of jobless sales ppl. They were one of the first waves of ppl who got fired when ppl can no longer travel around the region. No point keeping them if your sales team cannot go out of Singapore. They have years of experience, networks and they are jobless. You have to look around but the competition is fierce.

You should consider getting a driver's license and work as Grab or taxi driver. This is an industry that doesn't ask a lot of questions and is often used as a buffer for middle age PMET who lose their job in their 40s or 50s. The timing is flexible, you are your own boss, and you don't have to deal with office politics. Just make sure you pay your rentals on time, and no one will bother you. I made the assumption that you are an extreme introvert.

Basically, any job that requires an interview process will present some problems for you. Your lack of job history is a major red flag for HR.