Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Jobless for a long long time

Old 13-10-2021, 02:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Alot of people here still subscribe to the old school of thoughts thinking a degree will give them an advantage in MNC jobs. And then sulk on public forum when they can't get in an MNC. Keep telling themselves they have a degree therefore they should be handed the MMC position. I loled

In reality the degree only gets you into your first job. After that experience counts more than a piece of paper. Connections and network get you places. Not that piece of paper
Yes, they don't understand that the degree is only one of the many elements that push you up. In the MNC reality, track records, reputation, connections, opportunities, EQ, work performance, communication skills, able to get things done, teamwork, problem solver, bring in the revenue on top of the hardskills honed through years of experience all play a part too. These cannot be learned and developed in school. They don't understand that your employment history makes you an alumni in the industry too.

Diploma holder with high EQ, knows the people in the industry and has a good reputation, 10 years of experience in MNCs like Micron with 2 promotions and involvement in major global projects throughout the decade from member to team manager holding lean six sigma black belt, PMP, multiple ISO internal auditor certificates.

vs

degree holder with 10 years of experience in the comfort of a GLC that places its promotion track in place without challenges.

You will see the stark difference during an interview.

Old 13-10-2021, 04:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes, they don't understand that the degree is only one of the many elements that push you up. In the MNC reality, track records, reputation, connections, opportunities, EQ, work performance, communication skills, able to get things done, teamwork, problem solver, bring in the revenue on top of the hardskills honed through years of experience all play a part too. These cannot be learned and developed in school. They don't understand that your employment history makes you an alumni in the industry too.

Diploma holder with high EQ, knows the people in the industry and has a good reputation, 10 years of experience in MNCs like Micron with 2 promotions and involvement in major global projects throughout the decade from member to team manager holding lean six sigma black belt, PMP, multiple ISO internal auditor certificates.

vs

degree holder with 10 years of experience in the comfort of a GLC that places its promotion track in place without challenges.

You will see the stark difference during an interview.
The dip holder you describe should be a master deg holder. Dip holder cannot be able to do that.
Dip holder cannot take pmp or six sigmah red belt. Only deg holder can. The ranking system will be there to control so it will not be messy. So you want to big canon also be realistic a bit lah. That's why mnc will not let dip promote faster than deg.

Old 13-10-2021, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The dip holder you describe should be a master deg holder. Dip holder cannot be able to do that.
Dip holder cannot take pmp or six sigmah red belt. Only deg holder can. The ranking system will be there to control so it will not be messy. So you want to big canon also be realistic a bit lah. That's why mnc will not let dip promote faster than deg.
post 22 said it. but people still think a diploma who can get better results can climb higher than deg. crazy. the purpose of a education is to have higher cap. if education no use, might as well hire o level kid who can do better than diploma.

yes, if a dip holder can give better results than deg holder, sure he deserves the promotion. However that dip holder will be told to upgrade to deg otherwise stuck at that rank. maybe old days can la. Now alot rich people invested in education system. i dont think they will allow it to happen like the old days.

Old 13-10-2021, 04:30 PM
Unregistered

Imagine being so insecure that you cry about degree vs diploma and make up a bunch of niche situations that no general degree grad will ever experience.
Old 13-10-2021, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hahah quote your source? Which source tells you dip holder cannot take pmp or six sigma? Pmi stated dip holder can, with certain numbers of project hours clocked and SMU prerequisite for even a lean six sigma black belt accept dip holder with just 1 year working experience, definitely all have to meet other requirements.
Old 13-10-2021, 06:06 PM

psikyo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Prove it. Show us your source that stated "Dip holder cannot take pmp or six sigmah red belt. Only deg holder can."

Old 13-10-2021, 06:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hahah quote your source? Which source tells you dip holder cannot take pmp or six sigma? Pmi stated dip holder can, with certain numbers of project hours clocked and SMU prerequisite for even a lean six sigma black belt accept dip holder with just 1 year working experience, definitely all have to meet other requirements.
Trust me, i am from mnc. dip holder cannot take pmp and six sigma red belt. i am now a six sigma already and i am going for my seven sigma course how will i not know? pmp is the project manager certificate also need deg holder. During ranking exercise, we always rank the deg holder higher than the dip holder because deg is higher than dip. Their rank will always stuck there irregardless their performance how good otherwise why all the government sector and government COY structure all the deg holder to take up management rank?
Old 13-10-2021, 09:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Trust me, i am from mnc. dip holder cannot take pmp and six sigma red belt. i am now a six sigma already and i am going for my seven sigma course how will i not know? pmp is the project manager certificate also need deg holder. During ranking exercise, we always rank the deg holder higher than the dip holder because deg is higher than dip. Their rank will always stuck there irregardless their performance how good otherwise why all the government sector and government COY structure all the deg holder to take up management rank?
Please tell me you are trolling otherwise you are just a dumbass.
Your language sounds like you are from a GLC trying to pose as a MNC staff without MNC experience.
Nowadays we call them LSS (Lean Six Sigma) we have white, yellow, green, black, master black belt.
No red belts and definitely no 7 sigma LOL!!!
PMP requires 5 years of work experience for diploma holders and 3 for degree due to age and perceived experience. After that you are considered the same. Both of them are not limited to Degree holders. You are subjected to the same exams, same requirements. In MNC, anything goes, your degree don't put you on a 'track' 'course' 'management route' . You are expected to deliver and show results. If you don't, you are out. If you do, you move up when there is a vacancy degree or no degree.
Old 13-10-2021, 09:23 PM
Unregistered

Based on my experience working at a foreign bank for about 5 years, all the SVPs, EDs and above have a degree (after checking them on linkedin), and some at the top usually further their education either by having masters, usually MBA. Don't recall seeing any phd holders.

You can tell yourself that education doesn't define a person's attitude, hardwork etc.. But for MNCs, profit-driven companies, they will usually favor those with at least a degree and they will be 'preferred' over someone with just a diploma.
Old 13-10-2021, 09:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Based on my experience working at a foreign bank for about 5 years, all the SVPs, EDs and above have a degree (after checking them on linkedin), and some at the top usually further their education either by having masters, usually MBA. Don't recall seeing any phd holders.

You can tell yourself that education doesn't define a person's attitude, hardwork etc.. But for MNCs, profit-driven companies, they will usually favor those with at least a degree and they will be 'preferred' over someone with just a diploma.
It is the value. They are preferred because they have connections, relevant experience etc. You don't get to become a vp because you have a degree. It is a whole package. It happens so they are also degree holders, phd or Mba.

Only dumb people believe having a degree means an MNC should hand the promotion to them automatically.