Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Jumping into the tech private sector from public sector (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/14128-jumping-into-tech-private-sector-public-sector.html)

_bluehavens 03-10-2021 12:22 AM

Jumping into the tech private sector from public sector

Hi guys,

Anyone wants to recommend what are the best tech jobs available in SG? From what I see from the forum:

1. Top tier: FAANG (for top 0.5% so no need consider)
2. Shopee, Lazada, Foodpanda... ecommerce etc
4. MNCs and Large Banks: Microsoft, Big 4 Accounting, Barclays, Bloomberg
4. Banking sector: DBS, Standard Chartered etc
5. Finally, the public sector: Govtech, DSTA, CSIT etc

Anyone agree/disagree with this "ranking"?

Unregistered 03-10-2021 10:32 AM

Can put dbs at 6 instead. Their tech program hires literally anyone with zero experience of programming who watched a 2 hours react/flask tutorial video and applied what they learnt in the interviews lol. And many from the non big threes, sit suss sim all those.

Unregistered 03-10-2021 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _bluehavens (Post 185055)
Hi guys,

Anyone wants to recommend what are the best tech jobs available in SG? From what I see from the forum:

What about programmers for quant and algo trading? Where do they fit?

Unregistered 03-10-2021 12:45 PM

How can standard charter below big 4 accounting firms? Big 4 pays ****. They are no different than accenture. Also big banks pay pretty decent for their tech talents.

Unregistered 03-10-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185079)
What about programmers for quant and algo trading? Where do they fit?

Depending on who they work for. But I would guess only big banks/firms hire them. So prolly at rank 1 or so?

_bluehavens 03-10-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185085)
How can standard charter below big 4 accounting firms? Big 4 pays ****. They are no different than accenture. Also big banks pay pretty decent for their tech talents.

Thats true... so maybe Big 4 down to tier 4 or 5?

Would u consider standard chartered to be a "big bank"? To me, its more a local bank like dbs, ocbc, hsbc etc. I still think they are tier 4

_bluehavens 03-10-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185078)
Can put dbs at 6 instead. Their tech program hires literally anyone with zero experience of programming who watched a 2 hours react/flask tutorial video and applied what they learnt in the interviews lol. And many from the non big threes, sit suss sim all those.

By this you mean the DBS SEED program? The one with a hackathon?

Unregistered 03-10-2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _bluehavens (Post 185094)
By this you mean the DBS SEED program? The one with a hackathon?

Not the guy who said that but I agree with him.

Literally tasked to make some basic generic React.js during hackathon... Mind you I've never used this crap. 10 mins of research and just copy pasting code with my group.

All of us got offered... Lol 2 people in my team didn't understand local vs global scope. One guy didn't know why we couldn't omit loop conditions... Wtf seriously?

High monthly salary but deadend after 2 years. Go with tech MNC for a better future.

Unregistered 03-10-2021 04:55 PM

Also shoppee over times like crazy. 996 btw... Same For dbs...

Whats your ranking based on? Solely pay?

Unregistered 03-10-2021 05:34 PM

Hmm while it’s true every company will have a IT department of some sort, I doubt banks or accounting firms should be the first place to look?

Unregistered 03-10-2021 05:53 PM

For 996 cultures, how many hours out of 12 are spent working? I know in China, there is a habit of napping in the afternoon, smoking breaks, drinking breaks, etc. Do these practices continue in SG offices?

Unregistered 03-10-2021 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185118)
For 996 cultures, how many hours out of 12 are spent working? I know in China, there is a habit of napping in the afternoon, smoking breaks, drinking breaks, etc. Do these practices continue in SG offices?

9 am to 6pm standard work time with 1 hour lunch. After 6pm, you HAVE to be working... but of course no one expect you to work till 9pm, u can have dinner at 7, but no longer than 30 mins break.

It's not mandatory, it's more like the culture. so you DONT have to do it but you will look bad and of course, promotion, etc will be delayed. These companies pay you ALOT so it might be worth it for some people

Unregistered 03-10-2021 09:02 PM

Which would be best if I wanted to do ML Engineering specifically?

_bluehavens 03-10-2021 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185114)
Also shoppee over times like crazy. 996 btw... Same For dbs...

Whats your ranking based on? Solely pay?

I guess pay is half the equation. But also as important is how much I can learn on the job, the experience I gain, and the general desirability of the company in the tech community (WLB, benefits etc)

_bluehavens 03-10-2021 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185116)
Hmm while it’s true every company will have a IT department of some sort, I doubt banks or accounting firms should be the first place to look?

Reason why I was considering banks and accounting firms is that it seems the finance industry is really hot. Like traders and bankers easily earning 8K a month for fresh grads?? Plus I thought fintech is a really hot thing right now as well.

Perhaps you know more to enlighten us

_bluehavens 03-10-2021 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185113)
Not the guy who said that but I agree with him.

Literally tasked to make some basic generic React.js during hackathon... Mind you I've never used this crap. 10 mins of research and just copy pasting code with my group.

All of us got offered... Lol 2 people in my team didn't understand local vs global scope. One guy didn't know why we couldn't omit loop conditions... Wtf seriously?

High monthly salary but deadend after 2 years. Go with tech MNC for a better future.

Thanks for ur input! Does help to hear from someone who's been thru the system.

Can you give a good list of tech MNCs in Singapore? I know a very limited list of tech MNCs...

Grab, Shopee, Razer, Carousell?, Foodpanda...... Apple, Microsoft (but both Apple and Microsoft operations in Singapore are 100% maintenance (in other words, boring work))

Am i missing out any more?

Unregistered 04-10-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185132)
9 am to 6pm standard work time with 1 hour lunch. After 6pm, you HAVE to be working... but of course no one expect you to work till 9pm, u can have dinner at 7, but no longer than 30 mins break.

It's not mandatory, it's more like the culture. so you DONT have to do it but you will look bad and of course, promotion, etc will be delayed. These companies pay you ALOT so it might be worth it for some people

Does the firm follow Chinese corporate culture when it comes to afternoon naps, smoking breaks, drinking breaks, etc? I know it's common in some companies like Tencent and Alibaba, not sure if it still applies here in SG

Unregistered 04-10-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _bluehavens (Post 185055)
Hi guys,

if you are fresh grad, would put GovTech TAP at 2. high paying and good training but v hard 2 get in

Unregistered 04-10-2021 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185202)
if you are fresh grad, would put GovTech TAP at 2. high paying and good training but v hard 2 get in

Unknown internationally, barely known locally.. i think 5/6 is fair.

Unregistered 05-10-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185236)

you would rank DBS SEED over GovTech TAP?

Unregistered 05-10-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185236)

"Barely known locally" Okay, you have got to be kidding.

Unregistered 05-10-2021 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185295)

Does DBS or GovTech look better on the resume?

Unregistered 05-10-2021 07:37 PM

DBS pays decent. You can actually up the ladder till VP which is not that rare for tech position. VP is more like tech lead or senior engineer lead 4 to 6 engineers for a project. Not sure how much govtech can compensate for such a role.

Unregistered 05-10-2021 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185295)

Not seed vs tap but in general.

Unregistered 05-10-2021 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185331)
Does DBS or GovTech look better on the resume?

Govtech if you are a fresh grad, DBS if you are experienced (in my opinion)

Unregistered 05-10-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185132)

why the f--- would anyone want to join a 996 China work cult?? Do they praise the virtues of hard work in big red chinese letters and dock your score for talking about tiananmen or Winnie Xi too?

This is as bad as working in a japanese keiretsu in the 1980s with mandatory morning exercises and flag raising

Actually its even worse. at least Japs are better respected globally. All Asians are low in the pecking order but Chinese are despised the most worldwide.

Unregistered 06-10-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185347)
Govtech if you are a fresh grad, DBS if you are experienced (in my opinion)

Agreed. DBS SEED is ********

Unregistered 06-10-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185349)
why the f--- would anyone want to join a 996 China work cult?? Do they praise the virtues of hard work in big red chinese letters and dock your score for talking about tiananmen or Winnie Xi too?

This is as bad as working in a japanese keiretsu in the 1980s with mandatory morning exercises and flag raising

Actually its even worse. at least Japs are better respected globally. All Asians are low in the pecking order but Chinese are despised the most worldwide.

Over at shopee, they need to recite "it is CCP that makes china great, the CCP fights for chinese rights, the CCP relieves people's pain" every morning.

Unregistered 06-10-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185404)
Over at shopee, they need to recite "it is CCP that makes china great, the CCP fights for chinese rights, the CCP relieves people's pain" every morning.

s://..com/watch?v=3-zPzi85Hxs

The pledge is something like this?

Unregistered 06-10-2021 02:23 PM

Better dont jump. You are better off jiak liao bee at where you are.

Unregistered 06-10-2021 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185349)

How old are you? Early twenties or late teens?

Unregistered 06-10-2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185404)

wtf! serious boh?
what kind of ******** is this. in singapore no less!

Unregistered 06-10-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185423)
wtf! serious boh?
what kind of ******** is this. in singapore no less!

I work at shopee. I can tell you the truth is that sinkies are hired to meet the quota for hiring foreigners.

The recruiters are also told to grab as many resume as possible of singaporeans and slot them into roles which are reserved for their mainland counterparts. So that they can convince mycareersfuture/MoM authorities that they have tried to hire locals for the role but cannot make it and hence they have to hire a foreigner. This is why shopee recruiters always private message or add people on linkedin, then after sending them your resume you wont get a reply after that.

In the past they would still follow up with 1 interview. But nowadays they just drop that completely.

Unregistered 06-10-2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185422)
How old are you? Early twenties or late teens?

You can go worship your CCP overlords. What's the term they like to use? Running dog. Zou gou

Unregistered 06-10-2021 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185433)
You can go worship your CCP overlords. What's the term they like to use? Running dog. Zou gou

I guess the answer is late teens. Always angsty.

Unregistered 06-10-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185428)
I work at shopee. I can tell you the truth is that sinkies are hired to meet the quota for hiring foreigners.

The recruiters are also told to grab as many resume as possible of singaporeans and slot them into roles which are reserved for their mainland counterparts. So that they can convince mycareersfuture/MoM authorities that they have tried to hire locals for the role but cannot make it and hence they have to hire a foreigner. This is why shopee recruiters always private message or add people on linkedin, then after sending them your resume you wont get a reply after that.

In the past they would still follow up with 1 interview. But nowadays they just drop that completely.

these mainlanders are no different from certain other FT's who hire their own kind
just that they are less conspicuous

Unregistered 28-06-2022 11:17 PM

MNC serving local banks (china HQ / listed) but HR/ interviewers/ reporting officer all local sinkie. was told local team is taken care of from US side (2nd interview was from US)
0-3mth bonus but confirm no AWS.
V.S.
Govtech 3mth bonus + AWS

GT annual is ~8% more than MNC annual (assume 0mth bonus)
similar devops/sre roles but GT is more on paper/discussion/vendor mgmt i guess.

early 40s, which 1 will u go?

Unregistered 29-06-2022 12:59 AM

How much is the total compensation?

For your age, gt for sure.

Unregistered 29-06-2022 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223738)
MNC serving local banks (china HQ / listed) but HR/ interviewers/ reporting officer all local sinkie. was told local team is taken care of from US side (2nd interview was from US)
0-3mth bonus but confirm no AWS.
V.S.
Govtech 3mth bonus + AWS

GT annual is ~8% more than MNC annual (assume 0mth bonus)
similar devops/sre roles but GT is more on paper/discussion/vendor mgmt i guess.

early 40s, which 1 will u go?

GT no AWS!

Unregistered 29-06-2022 02:16 PM

GT got AWS leh. HQ direct hire, 3+1 mth

why i early 40s GT is better? so i can jiak liao bee is it haha.
but i think i still got small-to-medium fire (of course fire size restricted by my wife)
never taste mnc in my life, so i think i will take leap of faith.