Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Jumping into the tech private sector from public sector (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/14128-jumping-into-tech-private-sector-public-sector.html)

_bluehavens 03-10-2021 12:22 AM

Jumping into the tech private sector from public sector
 
Hi guys,

Anyone wants to recommend what are the best tech jobs available in SG? From what I see from the forum:

1. Top tier: FAANG (for top 0.5% so no need consider)
2. Shopee, Lazada, Foodpanda... ecommerce etc
4. MNCs and Large Banks: Microsoft, Big 4 Accounting, Barclays, Bloomberg
4. Banking sector: DBS, Standard Chartered etc
5. Finally, the public sector: Govtech, DSTA, CSIT etc

Anyone agree/disagree with this "ranking"?

Unregistered 03-10-2021 10:32 AM

Can put dbs at 6 instead. Their tech program hires literally anyone with zero experience of programming who watched a 2 hours react/flask tutorial video and applied what they learnt in the interviews lol. And many from the non big threes, sit suss sim all those.

Unregistered 03-10-2021 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _bluehavens (Post 185055)
Hi guys,

Anyone wants to recommend what are the best tech jobs available in SG? From what I see from the forum:

1. Top tier: FAANG (for top 0.5% so no need consider)
2. Shopee, Lazada, Foodpanda... ecommerce etc
4. MNCs and Large Banks: Microsoft, Big 4 Accounting, Barclays, Bloomberg
4. Banking sector: DBS, Standard Chartered etc
5. Finally, the public sector: Govtech, DSTA, CSIT etc

Anyone agree/disagree with this "ranking"?

What about programmers for quant and algo trading? Where do they fit?

Unregistered 03-10-2021 12:45 PM

How can standard charter below big 4 accounting firms? Big 4 pays ****. They are no different than accenture. Also big banks pay pretty decent for their tech talents.

Unregistered 03-10-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185079)
What about programmers for quant and algo trading? Where do they fit?

Depending on who they work for. But I would guess only big banks/firms hire them. So prolly at rank 1 or so?

_bluehavens 03-10-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185085)
How can standard charter below big 4 accounting firms? Big 4 pays ****. They are no different than accenture. Also big banks pay pretty decent for their tech talents.

Thats true... so maybe Big 4 down to tier 4 or 5?

Would u consider standard chartered to be a "big bank"? To me, its more a local bank like dbs, ocbc, hsbc etc. I still think they are tier 4

_bluehavens 03-10-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 185078)
Can put dbs at 6 instead. Their tech program hires literally anyone with zero experience of programming who watched a 2 hours react/flask tutorial video and applied what they learnt in the interviews lol. And many from the non big threes, sit suss sim all those.

By this you mean the DBS SEED program? The one with a hackathon?

Unregistered 03-10-2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _bluehavens (Post 185094)
By this you mean the DBS SEED program? The one with a hackathon?

Not the guy who said that but I agree with him.

Literally tasked to make some basic generic React.js during hackathon... Mind you I've never used this crap. 10 mins of research and just copy pasting code with my group.

All of us got offered... Lol 2 people in my team didn't understand local vs global scope. One guy didn't know why we couldn't omit loop conditions... Wtf seriously?

High monthly salary but deadend after 2 years. Go with tech MNC for a better future.

Unregistered 03-10-2021 04:55 PM

Also shoppee over times like crazy. 996 btw... Same For dbs...

Whats your ranking based on? Solely pay?

Unregistered 03-10-2021 05:34 PM

Hmm while itís true every company will have a IT department of some sort, I doubt banks or accounting firms should be the first place to look?


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2