Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone who is over 40 and has no professional skills, doing general admin everyday? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1398-anyone-who-over-40-has-no-professional-skills-doing-general-admin-everyday.html)

miwashi 05-07-2011 02:50 PM

Anyone who is over 40 and has no professional skills, doing general admin everyday?

Is anyone in the same situation?

What are some general admin skills that can be made to appear professional on a cv?

Unregistered 05-07-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 13903)

What are some general admin skills that can be made to appear professional on a cv?

No use one, if you really doing admin for decades until >40, max pay also 3k+. No matter how you try & bump up with professional sounding word, any competent HR person can tell from pay that they are dealing with an admin old bird.

miwashi 05-07-2011 03:04 PM

Besides those real professional disciplines like law and medicine, are there any others that are at least pseudo-professional?

Is editorial work considered professional? How about content development, development of visual material like posters, magazines, periodicals, journals, etc?

Unregistered 05-07-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 13905)
Besides those real professional disciplines like law and medicine, are there any others that are at least pseudo-professional?

Is editorial work considered professional? How about content development, development of visual material like posters, magazines, periodicals, journals, etc?

What do you mean by professional in the first place? What is the point of making oneself out to be "professional".

If your English good, any job can also be made to sound very atas. Most jobs out there also have their own "professional" body, but how seriously they are taken is altogether another thing.

miwashi 27-07-2011 11:32 AM

so is there anyone else 40 years old with no specialized skills gained during all these years of working and easily replacable by a cheaper fresh graduate?

undiscern 27-07-2011 10:38 PM

All jobs are replaceable. Look at undercover boss, top ceo couldnt even do a low level job properly. most people become big bosses due to luck. so yes, everyone is replaceable.

Unregistered 28-07-2011 11:00 AM

if that is really the case that one has no professional experience at all and past middle age.. my advice to standby a taxi driver license... At least it is a skill trade and car prices are slowly getting unaffordable... at leastcan still get by if really kenna retrench or jobless for a long time.. .

Unregistered 28-07-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 13903)

I saw the title and I think of government civil servants, and ministers. most of over 40, doing admin work, highly paid. do you need to be a professional?

Unregistered 28-07-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 14766)
I saw the title and I think of government civil servants, and ministers. most of over 40, doing admin work, highly paid. do you need to be a professional?

How "high" is "highly paid"?