Old 27-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Unregistered

here are the few things you need to do immediately:
1) stop whining like a wimp
2) severe all ties with the chinese gal
3) please, stop wasting money and clear your degree requirement
4) work very hard and very diligently at your current job

and here are two lessons you need to learn:
1) we sometimes go through a rought patch because of a series of unfortunate events due to the randomness of life. your rough patch is different. yours is due to your lack of focus, lack of motivation, and your general laziness. for example, you rather spend time on an online acquaintance whom you never meet than to work harder to clear your exam. until you start to be more focused, motivated and less lazy, your life will not have ups. so please change your attitude towards life rather than to embrace what you are going through now as a normal part of life's ups and downs.

2) you want to make a lot of money in the shortest time. ok, time to wake up. unless you strike toto, based on your character and intellect, it is unlikely that you will be rich in a short period of time. in fact, now that you are so far behind, it'll take you longer than normal to be rich cos u need to play catch up. understand that, and set realistic goals, and start with the 4 i mentioned above.

life is as good as it gets; it is up to you to make it better or worse. you have been making it worse; now start to make it better.

Old 27-06-2011, 11:28 PM
zhu zhu

Since u are into your final year in your degree course, u ought to stay focused and complete it soon. Getting a degree will certainly boost your confidence.

If you are hard up for cash and u feel that your studies is manageable, you can consider taking up a tuition assignment.

Forget about the online relationship. It is a lesson learnt and treat it as an experience. Essentially, understand that relationship doesnt work in this manner. Most importantly, move on.

There are many feasible ways to enlarge your social circle, such as joining activities organized by certified dating agencies. You have not missed the boat.

But I would think that completing your degree remains to be the top priority. The current economic climate is still optimistic and hence you should be able to find a decent job upon graduation, may it be in the finance sector or engineering industry.

Get your life back on track. Good luck.

Old 28-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Unregistered

Finally I see a decent thread with real facts and encouragement from forummers, not those engineers "wanna be" bankers thread. Really like this thread wayyyy much better than those asking ppl how to be a banker. Those r shitty threads and those dreamers ought to be shot.

Anyway, life is not a bed of roses. Everybody goes thru tough times. Some stood up with others never got up. At least u r still young and time is on yr side. You should really look into the advise from others and start picking up.

At least in Singapore, you have a stable environment to start off in not like US, China etc where jobless rates are rising thru the roof. Anyway we leave it to u to decide yr life. Cheers

Old 28-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Verified Member

sportscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey

I am 14 years older than you. I don't have a big car and I don't regard that as a failure.

Do not measure success by the material achievements. Some of these are temporary. You have the youth on your side. You can afford to choose and pick your path. Even if it may turn out unsuccessful, you have the time to adjust your course. By the age of 35, you should maintain the course and seek stability. Be patience and success will come along.

I have my fair share of up swing and down swing of my career. The last few years were up swing but you never know when the down swing will come. Always take them as lessons learnt to improve yourself so that when the next up swing comes, you swing higher than before.

Lastly, whatever said about career, it is the family that is utmost important.

Nuff said and there are also other people experiencing far worse than what you are now. Think and act positive. There's a rainbow always after the rain.
Old 29-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Unregistered&Unemployed

Hi JL84, you need to start stepping on your brakes on the thought of getting rich quick. Sometimes its just not meant for everyone.

Now relax yourself & think of the things you have that money (eg. healthy body & mind) can't buy instead of being envy of your peers who seem to be more successful. Well... in some cases I am similar to you (except for the relationship part). Stop looking back at the past.

I'm have been sending out resumes for more than 11 months, got some interviews but did not get the offer. Well, one thing for sure... if you do not like sales job (eg. FA), DO NOT GET INTO ONE !

Sales job seems to drastically reduce your chances of switching career in the future. Why ? It is because of how the employment market is built, those lazy bums in recruitment agencies like to put people into sales jobs. Even if you try to apply for non-sales positions, they will call you & try to persuade you into trying for that particular position. Hoping you to jump into their trap out of desperation.

Reasons being:
1. Its not easy to find sales people (fast $ only applies if you are extremely good in sales).
2. One of the easiest method for recruitment agents to get commission (their comm is based on PER HEADCOUNT, eg. you see a position asking for 50x FA, its good & easy money for them. Much more effort is required for say... 1x Engineer or 1x Executive.)

Focus now on completing your degree & secure an entry level job that fits into your career path then move on from there.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Same same

I am 28 this year and just graduated with a degree from SIM-UOL. Like you, I do not have much working experiences except for short stints during vacation. I had failed my A levels and dropped out of polytechnic after 1 year. Thankfully, I manage to pick myself up when my school decided to take me in again the next academic year. By then, I was 6 years older than my peers doing the same course as me.

Both my parents are bankrupts from a failed business and my father had a stroke in 2006. I had to borrow from the bank to complete my degree. I had already sent out tons of resumes and non had gotten back to me. It had been 6 weeks since my last paper ended. With time running out, debts to clear and my family's expectations of me to support them, I am hoping to get a job ASAP. Sure I do get dishearten, but when you are really low in life, things are bound to look up.

Be focused, get your degree, nobody has the right to give up on you except yourself. Best of luck!

Old 12-07-2011, 01:30 AM

undiscern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same same View Post
I am 28 this year and just graduated with a degree from SIM-UOL. Like you, I do not have much working experiences except for short stints during vacation. I had failed my A levels and dropped out of polytechnic after 1 year. Thankfully, I manage to pick myself up when my school decided to take me in again the next academic year. By then, I was 6 years older than my peers doing the same course as me.

Both my parents are bankrupts from a failed business and my father had a stroke in 2006. I had to borrow from the bank to complete my degree. I had already sent out tons of resumes and non had gotten back to me. It had been 6 weeks since my last paper ended. With time running out, debts to clear and my family's expectations of me to support them, I am hoping to get a job ASAP. Sure I do get dishearten, but when you are really low in life, things are bound to look up.

Be focused, get your degree, nobody has the right to give up on you except yourself. Best of luck!
Thats the attitude man! it is normal to send out 100 resume n get no returns.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:10 PM
SFL

You sound like you have hit rock bottom dude.

But on the bright side, the only path is up from now on.

So chin up young man.
Old 13-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Unregistered

when the going gets tough, the tough gets going.
what's going to differentiate you from those who are born rich or are plain lucky is the character that you build when you work your way out of this hard times.

a strong character is priceless and will see you through all the highs and lows in your life.

its never too late to start. if this ending isn't what you want, it's not the end yet.
Old 17-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Unregistered

Default It's still not too late

Hey man,

it is still not too late to catch up with your peers as long as you are healthy and am willing to put in the extra effort.

It will be very painful in the beginning but if you keep pushing on, although you might not be among the front runners, you will catch up with the main pack.

It's kinda running a Marathon, you were slow to start but there is still a long distance to go.