Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   First job advice needed (Accounting student) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13795-first-job-advice-needed-accounting-student.html)

localacctundergrad 03-07-2021 08:30 PM

First job advice needed (Accounting student)

Hi all, final year student from one of the local uni acct programs. Currently FCH.

Internship experiences include a Risk advisory stint at a Big 4. Think internal audit and enterprise risk mgmt implementation. Not rly a fan of Big 4 cos of the long hours and low starting pay but all my peers, bc of old mindset reasons, want to go b4 so i do feel a bit of peer pressure there.

Should i go for big 4 again or MNCs/Banks as my first job? For MNCs, I am looking more at Management Associate Programmes and for Banks, I am looking at Risk Management/Compliance roles. Also, how difficult is it to get those roles?

Thanks all

Unregistered 03-07-2021 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by localacctundergrad (Post 176573)
Hi all, final year student from one of the local uni acct programs. Currently FCH.

Internship experiences include a Risk advisory stint at a Big 4. Think internal audit and enterprise risk mgmt implementation. Not rly a fan of Big 4 cos of the long hours and low starting pay but all my peers, bc of old mindset reasons, want to go b4 so i do feel a bit of peer pressure there.

Should i go for big 4 again or MNCs/Banks as my first job? For MNCs, I am looking more at Management Associate Programmes and for Banks, I am looking at Risk Management/Compliance roles. Also, how difficult is it to get those roles?

Thanks all

Big 4 is **** pay for long hours. Go for MA programs, FCH should be easy to get interviews.

Hardworking 03-07-2021 09:41 PM

Banks and MNC MA Programme trump big4 any time

Unregistered 03-07-2021 09:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks all

i recommend u go for GrabFood Food Delivery Graduate Programme
or Tray Returning Ambassador Management Associate
or Temperature Screener (Risk Management)

Unregistered 03-07-2021 09:42 PM

oh ya u can also go for Safe Distancing Officer (Compliance)

Unregistered 03-07-2021 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardworking (Post 176578)

^this

Doesn’t matter which function. And it’s arguably better than their consulting/TAS arms too. With the only exceptions being their strat arms (MD, S& etc)

Unregistered 04-07-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardworking (Post 176578)

Agree with this as well. Go for banks or MNC MA - much better prospects for you and treated less disposable.

Unregistered 04-07-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176629)
Agree with this as well. Go for banks or MNC MA - much better prospects for you and treated less disposable.

This is true, I can third.

Good exit opps too, esp when you're an MA

Unregistered 04-07-2021 12:59 PM

do you really need 3 people to say i agree?

**** urselves

Unregistered 04-07-2021 01:38 PM

sour grape loser. haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176579)
i recommend u go for GrabFood Food Delivery Graduate Programme
or Tray Returning Ambassador Management Associate
or Temperature Screener (Risk Management)

Unregistered 04-07-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Thanks all

Definitely MA programs, but note that the success rate for MAPs is incredibly low so cast your net very wide and apply for big 4 as a backup.

Unregistered 04-07-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176687)
Definitely MA programs, but note that the success rate for MAPs is incredibly low so cast your net very wide and apply for big 4 as a backup.

Hands down on this! There's probs like max roughly 200 MA slots across banks and MNCs and you're pitting yourselves against everyone from all walks of life

Unregistered 04-07-2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176688)
Hands down on this! There's probs like max roughly 200 MA slots across banks and MNCs and you're pitting yourselves against everyone from all walks of life

can u seriously not keep posting again and again obvious sh1t?

Unregistered 04-07-2021 10:32 PM

Since you have FCH, you should make the most out of it! It opens so many doors for you, why shut them off due to "peer pressure"?

Some of your peers might not even have that choice.

But are you just chasing after money? Or is there a particular track you're interested in?

You need to decide what you want in life, and which is the best route to take to get there.

Unregistered 04-07-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176816)
Since you have FCH, you should make the most out of it! It opens so many doors for you, why shut them off due to "peer pressure"?

Some of your peers might not even have that choice.

But are you just chasing after money? Or is there a particular track you're interested in?

You need to decide what you want in life, and which is the best route to take to get there.

FCH but lacking on work exp/leadership imo. But no harm trying